Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey GRIZZLY owners
My name is Bob and i have a problem....(HA ..HA.)

I have a Polaris Sportsman 500.. But I want a 2006 GRIZZLY 660. I'm hoping youz can tell me the pro's and con's of the 2006 GRIZZLY. I'm planing on selling my POLARIS and buying a GRIZ. The only machine I have to compare to is the POLARIS

THANKS, Bob

·
Registered
144 Posts
Ride the grizz, Work on the Polaris.

This was a quote from the local Yamaha/Polaris dealer when I bought my Grizz.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Bob, your question has been answered several times over you just have to read through the other threads. By the way, welcome to the forum and if you decide to buy a Grizzly you won't be disapointed.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
You can't compare the Grizz to a Pull your arse, they are in a league of there own! If have decided to buy a Grizz I take it you have done your homework? Get ready to enjoy quading in a whole new level. You may want to sell your PoPo first before buying the Grizz because after you have some seat time on the Grizz you may just be tempted to burn your PoPo.... Enjoy.........Irv

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
what irv said.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
There are too many pros to list, but the major con is they never wear out so you can't justify to the ol' lady that you need a new one.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OOOOOKKKKKKK, Got one a 2008 Camo grizzly 660. I am sooo happy put 160 kms on her so far ,nice ride kinda loud lotsa engine vibration but I won't falt it for that. So what breakin procedure do you think is the correct one???

BIG smiles, Blob

·
Registered
809 Posts
Sure Polaris breaks a lot and they're heavy but what a smooth riding machine! Blob, get used to the Grizzly brakes too, they're nothing like the Polaris ones! If u do any kind of deep water, the 660 is more likely to take in water in the clutch too .... how come u didn't pick the 700????

Break it in per the manual ... 20 hrs then oil change and check valves.

·
Registered
462 Posts
my buddy has a 700 sportsman and we bought our bike at the same time,within a month of one another,out of the gate i would just leave him like he was sitting still,the Polaris takes time for the clutch to wind up,the griz has awsome throttle response,,,,but the Sportsman would catch and pass me on top end

also as said,the Sportsman rides like a caddy,the biggest problem with the Sportsman series is they are extremely prone to axle failure

im in Sportsman country,and caught alot of flak when i bought the Griz,every one of the critics have expressed at some point since how much they respect my Grizz now,and every one of them have to replace one or even two axles a YEAR

·
Premium Member
7,680 Posts
The Polaris bikes have a few quirks that you either have to accept, or you'll be spending your money elsewhere... Engine braking to the rear wheels only, something to do with an override button to use 4wd in reverse(?), and the controversial single-lever braking. They are comfortable, but VERY heavy. Congratulations on getting the Grizzly! Welcome to our little chunk of Heaven here! Don't be bashful about throwing an opinion or three out once in a while!

·
Registered
462 Posts
my buddy's 700 sportsman deserves its props as far as performance,i have to give it to him,but hes been through 3 axles already with another doing the "polaris click" already,his 500 he had befor it the same thing,axle,axle,axle

we both figured they would have corrected the problem when they came out with the 700,no such luck,but ive seen him do some impressive stuff with the 700 so its no slouch

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
I have both, so lemme take a moment and comment...

First... this whole "Polaris breaks" crap gets on my nerves. YEARS AGO (as in 10+) they had problems. But from the early-mid 2000's on they're pretty solid.

The rear-wheel-only engine braking is gone as of 2007. They fixed that.

The Polaris machines ARE heavy though... but ride quality is second to none. My '02 Grizzly 660 has Works Performance Shocks on it (WONDERFUL mod, worth every penny) and my SP800 still rides better.

IMO, you're really talking about two very different machines. Yeah I'd rather have a Grizzly 660 over a Sportsman 500. But I love my SP800 and it's my primary machine. :)

You can't go wrong either way, truly.

Rob

·
Registered
462 Posts
well the proof is in the pudding,im deep in Polaris country here,we had 18 riders a couple weekends ago and all but 6 were Polaris and all the sportsman guys be it 500 or 700 said the same thing axles not holding up,and have gone through at least 2 while their bikes were under warranty

one guy had a 800 who use to live a 1/4 mile up the road from me but moved 2 years ago to be closer to work so he doesnt go riding like he use to not having access to the trails like he use to,hes had his 800 for over a year without axle failure but he doesnt get to ride it much so did they fix it?

heck we had two that had the Polaris click riding that weekend,part of the problem we narrowed to weak or poor CV boots,they either slip off or tear very easy,and when this happens and you dont notice it while riding all day the damage to what seems to be a delicate CV joint is done and the clicking soon follows and does nothing but gets worse until total failure,,,,were talking bikes totally stock,not even a wheel kit added

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
You guys must do a lot of mudding to be having axle failures. I have 2700 miles on my SP800 and no such problems with axles or boots or anything.

Likewise the only trouble with my Grizzly is the gas boiling issue (being a 2002 model). I think I have that one licked, no thanks to the local dealer.

Rob

·
Registered
462 Posts
we do in fact do mostly mudding,the 500 and 700 bikes were the ones plagued with axle failures,the 800 he hasnt rode much because he moved and his new place doesnt have trails that start in the back yard like we have here so it hasnt been run through the riggers as the other bikes,he has hardly put any miles/hours on the 800 and hes the only one we know that has one so cant really compair it to the others

1 - 16 of 16 Posts