Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am VERY interested in purchasing a new set of tires for the crappy stock "holy" tires. I am going to go with 26" mudlites, and found a deal on ebay for 4 26" mudlites with c-series type 6 wheels, including the center caps, lugs, and valve stems for $550 shipped. These are all brand new items still in boxs.

My question to everyone is this, am I better off getting just the tires and putting them on stock rims? I have heard that the c-series are much wider and cause more wear on bearings. Are they heaver than stock rims? Are they tougher than stock rims?

Please give me as much info as possible as the sale on ebay ends today!!!

thanks!!!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Marine,

I bought my 26" mudlites with T-5 C series rims on ebay and got the chrome caps$lugs$valve stems for $510.00 delivered. That was this past June, so if you can get all that for $550.00 I would say its a good deal. I chose the T-5's over the T-6's because of the "rock crusher lip". I have put over 500 miles so far with the T-5's and they are holding up better then I really expected. In my opinion, I think the T-5 are a tough rim compared to the stock ones Yamaha uses. I haven't expirienced any bearing issues as of yet with having only 500 miles of use with them. I cannot comment on the weight comparison between the two because I never had them weighed. I can however say this, the C series are a tough rim. I only had a little over 100 miles with the stock rims and they were HAMMERED and really beat up badly. 500 plus miles with the T-5's and they still look brand new. In my honest opinion I think you will be very pleased with the Mudlites and C series rims.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your input blue_grizzly! The wife is actually fine with me purchasing them...although she did go shopping with her mother yesterday LOL...as you say, tis for tat LOL

Hopefully, this is the last photo you will see of my girzzly without some nice rims/tires

P.S. do you think the T-5 are stronger than the T-6?

·
Registered
341 Posts
T-5's all the way bro! you wont be sorry at all. Just look at the T-5 rims on any picture and then look at the T-6'S. The T-5's have a much bigger lip and that's why I went with them instead of the T-6's. Does the ebay seller have both style rims? When I bought mine the seller/dealer carried both type rims but his ebay ad was for the T-6's so I emailed him and asked if I could get the T-5's instead of the T-6's and he said "no problem" whatever rim I wanted he would sell me for the same price. Good luck and let me know how you make out.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
I know i have the first c-series rims that came out and I love them but after the t-5's came out I sure wish I could have got them instead. But all in all I am very happy with mine. No problems here but only about 400 miles so far.

·
Registered
339 Posts
My choice was to use stock wheels with 26" Mud Lites because I didn't want the all the width the aftermarket wheels add to the machine and I liked the black stock wheels. So far my stock wheels have held up just fine in the last two years.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input everyone.

I ordered the C Series T-5 mounted on 26" mudlites with a valve stems, center caps, and lug nuts. I will post pictrues as soon as I get the tires/wheels...I am hoping next friday as I orderd them last night out of CA.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I am sure you will be thrilled as I was when the UPS man arrived! Oh the waiting is terrible!!!! HA HA HA Now you will need to get some new pictures on here after the "new boots" are put on. Congrats on the new add-on's.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
are they really champ306? I figured the stock would weigh more than 7.5lbs! Oh well, i will have a wider stance and will be able to negotiate steep grades and off camber situations with more stable results... (at least I hope so)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Marine,

I went out and weighed the stock wheels, and tire w/ rim fronts are 22 lbs each. The rears were 24 lbs each. Now keep in mind I used my home bathroom scale and made sure it was zero'd out before I weighed each tire/rim mounted. So take into consideration a plus and minus factor of a pound either way using the bathroom scale. The T-5's are as you say 7.5 pounds each and I looked in Highlifter at their chart for tires, the Mudlites are 22.9 lbs for a 26" front tire, and the rear is 25.9 lbs. So the T-5's and the 26 Mudlites weigh 30.4 lbs for the fronts and the rears are 33.4 lbs each. So the difference in total weight for the fronts are 8.4 lbs each and the rears are 9.4 lbs each difference in total weight. I seen some guys carry more weight then that in beer driving down the trails! LOL I was surprised after I figured out the total difference in weight, it was not that much as I expected. Not to include that the Mudlite is rated 6 ply and not 2 ply like the Dunlops. The T-5's and T-6's really dont weigh much more than the stock aluminum rims. I only wish my stock tires were dis-mounted so I could actualy know the correct weight of a stock Yamaha aluminum rim. Nevertheless, it cannot be that much of a difference.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Ok guys, did I say I liked the black stock wheels? Well I have one set on and two spare sets in the garage so I did the bathroom scale test to the front wheel and I come up with 5 lbs.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so its a 2.5 lb difference...I think I can live with that given that the c-series are stronger, offset wider, and look SOOOOO much better!

I appreciate the input though, I had no idea that there was such little difference between stock tires/wheels, and the c-series/mudlites! Very interesting!!

I absolutly cant wait for my new tires and rims...now, I just have to figure out what to use to jack up my grizzly, I guess I will pull the jack out of my truck because I dont have a shop style jack LOL

·
Registered
341 Posts
Marine,

I hope you do realize that the width now will be considerably wider then stock. I know why DKNARD didn't go with the T-5's because of the width issues we talked about before in an earlier post. After I installed the Mudlites & T-5's I couldn't drive the machine on my trailer! The tires were hitting the side rails, where before with the stock set-up it was wide enough to fit in. So guess what? Another "new" add-on, I had to buy a new trailer! LOL I don't know what you transport your machine with but I hope it will fit in now. I am sorry I should have mentioned the width issue when you first asked about the tires & rims. I hope you don't hate me now... LOL However when you finaly get to ride the machine and see how much more stable it is, you will be very happy im sure!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am sure its not like 5-6" wider...my trailor is a 6x9 i belive...??? Dude, it its to wide for my trailor I will be selling my rims and going stock LOL..I cant afford a bigger trailor right now, or rather my wifes subsecuent shopping spree.... :)

Soooo, cross your fingers and hope it fits on the trailor or I will have to hunt down blue_grizzly and kick his arse....just kidding man, I knew that it made it wider, but didn't think about it being to wide for my trailor?!?! OUCH!!

·
Registered
339 Posts
I think your overall width will increase by 6 inches with those wheels and tires but as long as you don't have a 4 foot wide trailer you will be able to fit. If I remember correctly the Grizzly stock sits at 44 inches wide and with 1 inch spacers and 12 inch tires I am sitting at 48 inches wide where you should be at 50 inches with the T5's and 12 inch tires.

You will appreciate the stability with the added width. Before I added the spacers it was real hairy on the side hills but now I am able to ride across hills without much trouble. The thing I noticed with the added width was more bump steer and found that I had to adjust my toe-in to compensate for it. Once that was done the bump steer became manageable.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Marine,

If your trailer is a 6x9 you should be all set. My old trailer was exactly 4x8 and the 4 ft wasn't wide enough so I upgraded to a 5x8 and now there is plenty of room. You should have seen my wife's face whenever I told her,"hey hun, guess what? My Grizzly won't fit on my trailer so now I need to buy a new one!" All our three childern and our dogs ran for cover! HA HA HA.

DK is correct on the stability issues on side hill/off-camber situations. With the extra width you will see a considerable difference. As for bump steer I really haven't noticed anything different on my machine. It seems to ride great and steering is very manageable on my machine. Sometimes(not very often) the front tire will catch a groove/rut and the handle bars will jerk one way or another but thats about it. I guess that's expected with running a much bigger tire oppose to stock. All in all I couldn't be more happier with the Mudlites and the T-5's.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry to sound ignorant, but what is bump steer, and how does adjusting the toe effect it? I was hoping to just mount the tires and take off...do I need to adjust the toe setting?

Also, the guy I purchased from is in CA and waiting for the shipping is KILLING ME...especially since he told me that because I requested T-5 and not what he had posted T-6 I was going to have to wait until monday or tuesday for him to ship them...BAH!! I wanted to have them for this weekend for a ride...

Ok, now I have vented...I am good now LOL

·
Registered
339 Posts
Bump steer is like while going down the trail you hit a bump and it wants to shoot you off in that direction rather than track straight down the trail. Maybe my toe-in was out all along and adding the larger tires made it more noticeable, I am not sure but I do know that it was harder to keep it on the trail until I corrected my toe-in.

After adding the larger tires and width to my machine I also found that I had to relearn some of my trails because I now had to turn a little later around some of the rocks and stumps so I would not clip them with the front tires.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, My 26" mudlites mounted on c-series Type 5 "rock crusher" rims (with lugs and valve stems) is shipped and I am tracking it. It is due to arrive wednesday! I feel like a small child waiting for santa claus lol! I am certain that these tires will dig in and get me through the narly stuff and give me some better feelings about really nasty off camber stuff with the added stability of a wider stance.

If anyone here is interested in my stock rims and tires let me know as they are going up for sale next week. They have 109 miles on them and one rear tire has a plug (holding air wonderfuly)...

Make me an offer by PM or email please!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts