Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought u guys might have a laugh at these [ics of our ride out this morning.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I was having usual fun in the water (we do not get much in Spain so when we do I have to make the most of it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Even lost tow straps so had to go fishing for them before my friend could pull me out!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Last one just to keep you guys amused. Towed her home, the engine was rock solid with all the water she had taken in. Took out spark plug turned her over with the starter expelled lots of water, even the air filter box was completely full. Put spark plug back in turned her over and she fired up almost straight away. Lots more water from exhaust etc. Now she's a bit drier so I have drained engine oil, both diffs etc. The things we do to get our kicks!!!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is last pic

·
Registered
462 Posts
this is one HillBilly whos tipping his hat to you boys in Spain,,,,thats hard core,lol

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Tell us what happened grizzspain! What kind of damage did you do? I have heard of guys having to drain oil and diffs a few times before all the water gets cleaned out, most use diesel or kerosene. Make sure you get it all out! Thanks for sharing your pics.......Irv

·
Registered
140 Posts
That's awesome - we definetly want to hear how that happened?

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
If you think that's fun wait til you try it with the tires on the bottom.
Ah, just hackin on ya. Looks like there is a story here that we would all like to hear.
I've never seen a snorkel system that vented out the bottom of the quad, but you may want to look into one.

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
GS we are all waiting on the deatils of this ride...........

Thanks for posting the pics, I have a few mates at work who don't believe how tough the Grizzly can be, this will show them.

Hope your machine comes out OK.

Cheers Noel

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have had the grizzly for just over 1 year and put almost 6,000 KMS (4,000 miles) on the clock. I have been mad for 4 x 4 all my driving life but this was my first quad (now also have Raptor 660) I have never had so much fun, this was just another quading adventure and something to tell the grand children one day! The ammount of fun and enjoyment these quads have given in a short time have paid for themselves 5x's over. My thought as I dived headfirst in to the water as the quad went over was "this is definetely worth it even if the grizzly does not survive, hence the smile on my face!).
This afternoon I drained the oil three times so nice and clear now, Grizzly fires up first time each time. Tomorrow (Saturday here, I will do the valves and fill the diffs, ready for another adventure on Sunday, hopefully will be 250km round trip). Fortunately we can quad almost anywhere we want in this part of Spain, unlimited trails, river beds, mountains etc. Good luck to you all you obviuosly love quading as much as I do. I will keep you informed of the progress with the resurection of the Grizzly.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Thanks for the update GS, you still didn't explain exactly how it happened? Was it something intentional or just a mishap? Glad you can still smile about though! If that was my Grizz I would be pretty upset!......Irv

·
Registered
462 Posts
you are THE MAN grizlyspain,,,,,later

·
Registered
95 Posts
Seems like alot to go through just to scrub a Grizzly's belly
lol Scott

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The Grizzly is all up and running again, all seems to be in good order. While I had it stripped down I adjusted the valves and put packing between the exhaust and the heat shield (the rubber grommets had fallen to bits in just over a year) and the sheild was rattling a lot. I padded it out with exhaust packing material, I will see how it last. It took five oil changes to flush out all the water! One of the front wheel bearings is on its way out but I did not have time to change it hopefully it will hold out for tomorrows adventure.

The submersion happen on my way home after a few hours extreme rock crawling, we have some great places here. I am expecting to get a helmet cam delivered next week and will try and post some movies of us quading in Spain for you all. Back to the submersion: I was taking it easy riding up the river bed back to my house in water just over the tyres when the front end started to go down, once I realised that it was not going to stop until it flipped over I bailed out and the grizzly slowly and gracefully flipped on its back. You have to take the rough with the smoothe, so I joined in the laughs of my riding companion and 2 spaniards on horse back. After having a good laugh they did offer to help pull me out, but as my buddy has a Grizzly as well there was no need. Although we are in Spain it is winter here now and the water was mighty cold (for us).

I will let you how I do tomorrow on the trip out.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Have you checked your hydraulic brake resevoirs? Front and back? I don't know how easy it is to get water in these? But the way your quad was in the drink, it may not hurt to have a look? I would also lube all your cables and if you haven't done it yet? Put dielectric grease on all of your electrical connections, battery, fuses everywhere. This may help with future corrosion problems? How full were your diffs? Was there much water in them? Also, how far out were your valves? I haven't done mine yet but I am thinking maybe I should soon?.......Irv

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Does not look like any water in the brake reservoirs. Good thinking about cables I have not done anything but I will soon. I was going to grease all connections but run out of daylight today. I will run it tomorrow and get the rest of the things done next week when I change the wheel bearing.

The valves where definetely a bit out especially the intakes, now they are adjusted it starts much better does not need as much choke from cold.

Irv - how are the hand warmers are they heated grips or complete mits you put your hands in? How does the battery cope.. David

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
GrizzSpain, I have the full hand and thumb warmers, they came with new grips which are way better than stock and there is hardly any drain on the battery or charging system. My rear seat also has hand warmers for my young lad and I have run both at the same time with no problems. I read about the Grizz's charging/battery system and it can definately handle it. Some guys run extra lights/gauges as well and they say not to worry. I also have the hand Muffs but it hasn't been cold enough yet to use both but I will be very soon. They will definately help keep the wind off my hands and help keep the heat in. How cold is it in Spain in the winter? We can get -20C fairly easy around here but I would never consider riding the quad if it was that cold. I still have a snowmobile and don't necessarily look forward to riding it at -20C either! I have went sledding at -40C and it wasn't fun, you couldn't even tell I had Handle bar warmers! Face shields fog up fairly quickly and frost bite happens in seconds to any exposed skin. Get the hand/thumb warmers, they are well worth it and fairly easy to install.......Irv

1 - 20 of 24 Posts