Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everone who DOESN"T own a Grizzly will say they're tippy because they read it on a forum or they know someone who has a friend that rode one once.
As Grizzly owners, I was wondering what your opinion is since we are the experts in the field.

IN MY OPINION, I say the Grizzly is NOT tippy, but, because of it's high center of gravity and it's independant suspension, it tends to SWAY around corners and on side hills. This sway can be easily countered with the proper body english.

To keep it fare, base your opinion on a stock Grizzly.

·
Registered
116 Posts
It doesn't feel tippy at all to me. It seems to sway a little whenever you go around a corner fast but what quad doesn't do that! I could ride my Beartracker sideways on 2 wheels for 15 seconds! There's no way I could get the Grizzly on 2 wheels sideways. It's an awesome quad all around. The only thing I don't like is it doesn't get very good gas mileage.

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
I guess I would not really know (in comparisan to other quads that is) the only time I get the Grizz to lift is if I am pulling a hard and tight turn at slow speed, otherwise I just lean on it and open her up and it spits around the corner like a champion.

Cheers Noel

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, good in-put. I'm not real thrilled about the milage either. I'm going to be using tracks this winter and that will reduce the milage even more.
Next year maybe the Griz will get the fuel injected 686 that the 06 Raptor got. I think that will put the Griz back up ner the top of the Big Boy class.

·
Registered
78 Posts
It is tippy....find a friend with a rincon or a King Quad (both quads in stock form)... ride an off camber until your grizz starts to tip.(Be safe and have a spotter)
Now let the guy on the other quad ride thru it.....if he is anything like my buddys he will ride thru sitting straight up on the seat with no problems
I own an 03 grizz with around 4,900 miles on it with stock rims.....its a fact that the grizz "IS" tippy......I'm not bashing the grizz just stating a fact.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
I have found the grizz to be extremely tippy after about three six packs,,, not to bad after one,,,, would hate to be on it after a case,,,,, ,,,, ,cg

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CG is the only one to ever roll his grizz sitting still on flat ground. Neither he nor Yamaha can be held responsible since it was the world that sliped out from under him.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I think it's tippy. I laid my grizz on it's side the first time I hit the trails. Added some aftermarket tires and wheels and I can't explain the difference in steering and stability. night and day.

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
I say yes...TIPPY! I ride my Grizzly and my boyfriend's Sportsman 700. There is a difference...my Grizzly is much more tipsy...

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey dawn, thanks for chiming in and welcome to the forum. Your signature says you rolled your Griz 3 times. Are you sure you and Countrygriz don't have the same problem.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Dawn, thanks for chiming in and welcome to the forum. Your signature says you rolled your Griz 3 times. Are you sure you and Countrygriz don't have the same problem.

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
Maybe...I hope NOT to continue this trend. That was my first and better be my LAST flip!...my story is over under the Suspension part...won't go into it here...LOL!

·
Registered
50 Posts
The Grizz for sure a little tippy, so yes you must care full.

But put some good tires (bighorns) on and its alot more stable.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I still say it's not tippy. It just is sensitive to body english. If I want to lean into a corner, I want the machine to leane with me. If I wanted a machine that just sat straight up no matter what, I would have bought a Honda.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Well I wish I could help here but to be honest I never rode mine with the stock tires, put on the ATR's about a week later and never really got any miles on the stock ones. So for me as I sit now with aftermarket rims and tires also with swaybar removed I don't think it is any worse than my Rancher I had.

Mike

·
Registered
289 Posts
on a sidehill it is tippy, don't like that feeling so I avoid sidehills like the plague, don't have a problem on the corners, just slow sidehills.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have yet to ride mine with the after market tires and wheels, so I don't know the differance yet. I have about 1,000 miles on the stock tires and wheels with the 04 griz and I never felt it was tippy. I even ride it on the MX track with the stock shock settings and can still slide around the off-camber turns.
I guess it's all in how you ride. Maybe from starting out on 3-wheelers I just use more body english or something. I like the fact that it's not rigid.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts