Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You great Grizzly riders have convinced me to "BUY MUDLITES". I go to the catalog and find that there are three models.

Mudlites AT- with 3/4" of tread, around $50.00/tire
Mudlites XL- with 1 1/8" of tread, around $50.00/tire
Mudlites XTR- with 1 1/8" of tread, around $100.00/tire

I talked to the ITP factory and said that the XTR has a better ride, better handling, and is what he would recommend. They are twice as much mony. OF COURSE if money were ABSOLUTELY NO OBJECT I would buy the XTR's.

I am from UTAH and will put on the 25" tires to keep from changing the gearing ratios. I will use my stock rims (Because black goes so well with camo.).

I am a trail rider. I hit a lot of mud and show on the trails, but do not look for any of the mud boggs. (I realize I am a whimp. Last time the two hours of cleaning and de-mudding was not that fun)

Now, knowing my criteria, needs and wants here are the questions.

1. The AT will not throw as much mud, but will the short tread decrease the wear so much that I loose value on my purchase?
2. Will the XT with the larger lug on the tires throw so much mud that every ride will double the cleaning time for my GRIZ? If so is the time worth it?
3. Will the 1 1/8" lug make a significant decrease in the power of the Grizzly over the stock tires?
4. Last and most important. Is the XTR twice as good as the XL and worth the price?

Merry Christmas from Utah

·
Registered
462 Posts
ive never owned ITP tires,but have heard that they wear pretty fast no matter what series you buy,,,,,good luck with that

i may be wrong,but arnt the XTR's for 14" rims,and not the 12" rims

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have two sets of Mud Lites, one is a 25" AT version and they were a vast improvment over stock tires. Only I would not buy them again because I had three flats in about 6 months of use. My 26" XL tires have been on for about 1500 miles and the rear are just starting to show wear and I have not had any flats on them. But I did add a tire sealant to my 26" tires when mounted, they do not even go low when sitting with the sealant inside. Mud Lites will not measure up to stated size, my 26's are 25" tall mounted on the machine. Myself I would get the XL version, they will not throw any more mud than the AT's yet provide more traction. As long as you stick with the 25's you will not notice any difference in performance, it is only noticeable if you go up in tire size.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
To me it sounds like you really want to stick with the stock tires. If you go with a more aggressive tred, no matter what tire you buy, you are going to throw more mud. Get a set of over-fenders. That will help with a lot of the mud. The Mudlights have very good traction but part of that is because they have a softer rubber compound and so they wear faster than some other tires. But softer tires also give a better ride.
When I was looking for the "perfect" tire I did all the research and found the Dirt Devil to almost identicle to the Mudlight except the reports were that they wear better than the Mudlight. The Dirt Devil only has, or had, the shorter lug in the 25" tire. To get the larger lug you have to get a 26" tire.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had 25" on my vinson, (RIP, totaled in wyoming last year) and thought they made a big dif. in overall riding. However, the 27" radials on my griz are the real deal for increasing traction and confidence when crossing more dif. terrain.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You think the 14" rims with the 27" tires are superior to the 25" tires?

What about the change in the gear ratios by going to the 27" tires?

I had a Honda Rincon and loved it until I started going down hills (No slow-down on the down-hill) The only thing that I do not like about my Grizzly is the "tippy" or "nervous" feeling in the corners.

Will the 14" rims and the 27" tires cure the tippy feeling better than the 25" tires?

Are the gear ratios changed too much?

What model of mudlites are you running? XL, XT, or XTR?

·
Registered
462 Posts
the 14" rims actually do alot to stablize the ride,,,,what they do is allow you to go to an oversize tire,while reducing the amount of sidewall,,,,with less side wall you get away from the tire flexing from side to side,which is the spongy feeling

less side wall + six ply tire = alot more stability

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have been reading allot about these ITP XTR tires and one thing I have read a few reports of are the beads breaking on the 14" tires. It seems like due to a shorter sidewall it is easier pinch the tire between the wheel and an obstacle such as a rock or log. Haven't heard of this happening to the 12" tires at all.

Now I am considering ordering a set of the 26" XTR's. What I like about them is they have a flater profile then either the XL or XT. I think with the flat profile and being a radial it will provide much better traction and ride over the other two versions and this is what I am hearing. The tread is a little different on the XTR's also; it may not make the tires dig as much. I have also heard that they are pretty close to actual height but I am suspicious about this claim because no ITP tires are.

·
Registered
462 Posts
thats the first ive heard about the bead breaking,,,good to know,but im still stay'n with the Claws

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I have heard the same thing about the 14's, the local guy's I deal with won't even sell them anymore, they have had to many complaints and too many guys demanding their money back. Our riding areas around here are too rough, rocky to use them....Irv

·
Registered
462 Posts
wow,,,thats pretty big then

because isnt ITP the only ones hoo (hehe) make tires for a 14" rim?

·
Registered
113 Posts
I just up graded to 27"xtrs on the 14 rim. So far I love them, the ride is more stable than my buddy's 27" on 12" rims, DKN is right the tread pattern on the xtr is more like the 589 (a great tire but heavy).

I hope I don't run into a bead problem. That would be a true drag.

Power wise so far so good, However I plan on changing the clutch if the real winter ever hits and I have to stop riding.

I think the bigger tire has a bigger footprint and "hooks up" better when climbing or desending.

but mostly the look great on the Griz

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
From what I have read, the XTR is a good tire but I don't know if it is twice as good as My Dirt Devils. I say that because they cost twice as much as the Dirt Devils.
The XTR does come in both the 12 and 14 inch rim size. I just can't see paying as much for an ATV tire as I pay for one of my truck tires.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Starky...The best price I have seen for 26" XTR's is $370 which includes shipping and I haven't called my normal place that usually beats any listed price by other suppliers. That doesn't sound to bad, although that is about $100 more that my current 26" Lites.

I really want to try a radial tire so for me it's between the Bighorns and the XTR's. We have Bighorns on my brothers Eiger and mostly it seems to go everywhere my MudLites do except the deep nasty mud. I don't live for riding in mud so the Bighorns would probably work but I really like my Mud Lites and I haven't found anything the Bighorns do that the Lites don't do better except maybe snow. My last ride I took the Eiger up a couple of virgin trails and it seemed to do it with less wheelspin than the Lites. I'm thinking the flat profile of the XTR's and it being a radial should make it better in snow than the regular XL Lites. The plus for Bighorns is when you buy 26" tires you get 26" tires, my 26" XL Lites are only 25" and I have read the XTR's are short also.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
My Dirt devils cost $42 a piece. They get me into and most of the time out of just about anything I'm willing to ride through.
I'm not saying anything against the high end tires, I'm just not sure you get your moneys worth out of them. If you're happy with them, then they're worth the money.
Maybe if I rode with somebody that had the XTRs and we swaped rides I could feel the differance but that's the only way I would spend that much on tires.
They do look good and have a wide foot print.

·
Registered
339 Posts
The DD's are a good tire, I have ridden with people that have them and they go everwhere and last a long time.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
One thing about the Dirt Devils, and I've heard this from other people that have them, you get a slight bounce at higher speeds like the tire isn't quite balanced. I'm not sure if other brands do this in the larger size.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I bought a set of 26"mudlite xtr's from KGMOTORCYCLETIRES.COM and they cost me $364.90 with free shiping and I like them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi all new to the forum. I have the 27" XTR's on my grizz and have been very pleased so far.

·
Registered
382 Posts
one thing is missing from the tire comparison thing is, when I shop for car/truck tires you use the "tread wear" rating to determine how soft or hard the compound is. softer compound has much better grip on the road but wears quickly, and the opposite is true: 380 seems to be a good balance between longevity and performance as opposed to some tires rated at 700...long life but slips like a bitch in the rain.

I remember replacing my 10 plys on my 3/4 ton truck when they wore out and replaced them with 4 or 6 ply I cant remember, the truck rides really nice but, I gave up some payload capacity.

I guess its all a trade off but I would have to agree with Starky about choosing functionality of a tire over looks.

why do we make it so complicated just to buy a set of tires?!?!? heh heh heh

1 - 20 of 29 Posts