Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to need to take the tires off the grizz so I can go down and have my mudlites put on, Is there any place to avoid when jacking or putting jack stands. I am planning on going to buy a floor jack and ladder stands today. I dont want to find out too late that there are places that dont support the weight of the machine.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a sears motorcycle jack stand that I just slide right in and center it betweet the front and rear wheels, and the running boards. It sits pretty solid, I just wouldn't want to be climbing on it while the tires are off. There really isn't anything that you can damage, unless while putting it on jacks stands, you maybe pinch a brake line.

·
Registered
339 Posts
PA_Grizz...you really have to think about what you have asked...I don't kow about where you are riding in PA but where I ride it is not uncommon to end up smashing the undercarriage on rocks or even having all tires in the air becuse you are on a rock.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I use to use a square piece of 3/8 plywood about a foot by 2 feet and put that on the jack saddle before raising the Grizz. That way it disdributes the weight around more evenly. I just went underneath between the running boards like dnhyoung. I would get a bigger piece and then just place your axle stands in the 4 corners of the piece of plywood? Don't jack it way up in the air if there is a potential of it falling? Lower to the ground, less damage.......Irv

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Appreciate the help, I do have a snow plow plate on the griz, but that presents another problem where the push tube conects to the plow plate there is a bracket that conects them, so have to come up with something to overcome that.

Probably a piece of plywood with 1X6 pine board framed around the outside, leaving just the middle open for these brackets.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Good point CG. I usually hook my der hoist to the front or back rack and lift it off the ground. Other wise I put the floor jack in between the A-arms and raise it up. There's nothing under there that you can hurt. Put your jack stands under the A-arms where the shocks mount and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
462 Posts
ive heard those motorcycle jacks from Sears are sweet,,,,,but i also heard that it covers the oil plug access when using it,,,,is that so Dnhyoung?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I use a plank of wood betwwen the griz and the jack as well, and it works great

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Some of those elevated stands have a hole in the middle so you can get to the drain plug. Or it could be that the one i saw the guy cut a hole in the middle.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also would like to know if those motorcycle jacks cover the oil drain hole? Also if they would interfear with the plow mount plate??

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
It's easy enough to cut a hole in the stand, but it depends on the type of plow mount you have.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Starky, if it helps its a Moose Plow Plate. I have never seen one of the motorcycle lifts so not sure if they would be in the way or not. These brackets are about in the middle of the Grizzly.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
The scizor stands that we're talking about have a flat platform just like any motorcycle stand.
I'm not familiar with the Moose mounting bracket. If it would prevent the quad from sitting flat on the stand platform then it would probably have to come off.
These stands are pretty expensive and unless you do a LOT of work on your machine you may be better off using jack stands.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Guys,
I have the craftsman lift and it has two pieces on the top of the sciccors that it lifts with. I'd say they're maybe two inches wide x sixteen inches long and rubber coated. Never had any problem with it getting in my way. It costs about a $100 bucks. Most sears will have to order it, I haven't seen too many places that stock this item. Only complaint is if you let the machine sit up on it, it bleeds off after a couple of days. But thats any hydraulic jack. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was at Sears last night and looked at one, They are nice and in stock, for $79.00. I may have to break down and get one.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Thats the one I have, but they were on sale for I think $69 if you were a craftsman club member, then I had a coupon for $10 off and I signed up for the credit card for $25 off. LOL. I paid just under $40 with tax. :)

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
That's a great deal.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts