Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live 10 minutes from the Oregon Dunes recreation area and I was just out riding with my girlfriend when we accidently went over a sand drift causing us to land hard on the front wheels. My knee hit my gear shifter and when we landed it sounded like something might have crunched in the bike. I played with it for a while and everything works fine( 4 wheel drive, Diff Lock, High and Low range etc..) The only thing I noticed is that without putting my foot down on the right side brake I can shift from neutral to high or low range. I think before I had to depress the brake but I am not sure. I have to put my foot on the brake to put the bike in reverse or park but I can change from high/low/neutral by just moving the knob. Can anyone else move their gear knob in these gears without pushing the brake down? Has anyone else bashed their knee on this knob? Please, give me some input...Gerald

·
Registered
256 Posts
Good to hear you're OK...could've been worse.
I never hit my knee on the shifter but good thing you had the 660 Grixx. The shifter for the 600 was located in a much worse position.

I can also shift without depressing the foot brake but that's because I blew the sensor when my winch fried--- tons of electrical stuff fried (whole other story).

Anyhow, I've been riding it like this for a year. I'm very carefull to make a complete stop before shifting. I think the switch sells for $80 Canadian

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
hmmmm,,, my grizz you can shift from hi to low and low to high without hitting the brake,,, im sure this is normal,,,,,I have also took the spring off the brake pedal that pulls down the switch so you have to hold down the brake to shift out of reverse and park,,,,I tied it down with a wire tie so it thinks the brake pedal is always depressed,, since no else rides it I dont consider it a safty hazzard and it is a lot handier since using it for farm work sometimes I hop on the floorboards and stand to move a little ways down a fence line,,, this way i dont have to grab the brake to get it in gear,,,, also glad to hear your not hurt,,,your supposed to save jumping with the girlfriend for behind closed doors,, a little safer,,,, ,,, ,,, cg

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, if you can shift from high,low,neutral without pushing the foot brake then everythings fine. Nothing seems to be broken and everything sounds the same(no grinding or crunching) I think I am just going to run her! (The Grizz not my girlfriend!) If anyone else can shift without pushing the brake down I would like to hear about it. Thanks guys! On a side note, My Grizz is a bit heavier with the mudlites and the warm bumper and 3000 winch but even with my girlfriend and myself on the bike we were hauling ass through the super soft sand and flying up all the hills we came across. These bikes are amazing!!! My girlfriend is a big girl too 235 maybe 240.......just joking

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
More than likely the grinding you heard was forcing it into low range with the transmission turning.
Glad you guys are ok and the Griz came out ok as well. I'm sure the undershorts didn't fare as well.

·
Registered
289 Posts
normal to be able to put it in high or low from neutral without depressing the foot brake or left brake lever only has to be used to and from park or reverse to prevent damage to tranny

1 - 7 of 7 Posts