Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my Griz to the shop last week for brakes. The guy called me yesterday and said that he is suprised I was actually riding it. He said the front rear bearings were toast. He is doing the brakes, front bearings, and labor for $390. Do you think that's high? I'm not sure...but I'm getting it done...

·
Registered
93 Posts
Seems alright to me but I am in Europe and we really get stung on Yamaha prices. My front bearings were toast after just 500km. This is not all Yamaha's fault as I do alot of mudding and water and this is really tough on the stock bearings. I change out the front bearings every 500 - 700kms just to be on the safe side. The cost of just one bearing here is €60 and this does not include the labour. Good luck, GrizzlySpain

·
Registered
162 Posts
i have 1700 miles on my 02 ...bearings are stock...i have had the hubs off 2 times and they are still smoooooothe as new (now that i said that they will freeze up 100 miles from home ) i stay in the mud every ride ..wonder why they last so long ?? anyhoo dawn that price is pretty good very labor intense to get to them..

·
Registered
93 Posts
GeogiaGrizzly maybe the 02 are better than the 05? My grizz is submerged more often than not well over the tops of the tyres, this means that the bearings are completely sumberged not just getting water or mud splashed up on to them.
We do some crazy things here that is me in the avitar standing on my Grizz. Within an hour of that I had it running enough to get it home again.
GrizzlySpain

·
Registered
382 Posts
Dawn, are you getting the work at a Yamaha Dealer? if so I wouldnt feel too bad about the money...its prob a trained tech doing the work and thats what you're paying for...keep in mind the dealer charges one price per hour and the tech gets a portion of that and the dealer gets the rest. The tech also has to provide his/hers own tools which you know arent cheap. And you want the security in knowing all OE parts are used and they cost $$$

I do most of my own work but when I cant I take it to the dealer, call me crazy but when the timing belt in my VTEC motor needs replacing the dealer is getting the job...I hear the V6's are not fun to work on. I've had bad exp with mom & pop shops working on high tech stuff, Honda techs are trained and that can make a big diff. I replaced the timing belt in my 4 cyl Honda but the V6 motor is more than I want to take on.

Long answer to your question huh? If I were closer to you I would do the work for you for free just 'cause I'm a nice guy like that!

Shut up CG. :)

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Mista Nizzzz, cg's gonna get ya!

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
hmmmmmmm,,, not sure about this one,,,, hey nizzzzzz,,,,, I think my sewer needs cleaned out,,,, wanna come clean it for me,,,lol,,,, watch out dawn, he says he does make it to oklahoma once in a while,,,, ,,,, ,,,, cg

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I think bearings and brakes are something I can do myself so $400 sounds like a lot to me, but as long as you can trust the mechanic to do a good job its worth it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Yeah, the grizz is very hard on bearings. I've had my 02 for 1 1/2 years now and I thin I changed the all twice. The 02 bearings differ from 03 and newer models. The 02 has 2 small bearings and a spacer in between. the 03 has one larger bearing...which apparently is more durable.

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmmm...well I flipped mine down a hill 3 times over 1 year 1/2 ago...so I'm sure that didn't help!!! I raced mine all last season too...screeching brakes and all...UGH!

The guy is an independent mechanic...he just opened his shop 2 years ago and is growing. He's a super nice guy. Our local Yamaha dealer...Siloam Cycle sucks in my opinion...so I just don't go there...neither does anyone else that owns an ATV in my family...HA!

Thanks for all the opinions...

Dawn

·
Registered
382 Posts
CG i'll come clean out the sewer prob if you promise to take me on one of them "sleigh rides"...you know the one where you flip an old car hood upside down and drag it behind the grizz?!?!? make it a ford hood, gotta be something useful for them parts! :)

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Hey Niz, if that's all it takes put me on the list too.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Starky me and you gonna ride on that upside down Ford hood while CG pulls us around the farm with half a buzz on??? sounds like good material for Americas Funniest Home videos!!!!

·
Registered
162 Posts
for the do it yourself guy is there a better bearing than the stock ones ..i told you guys mine were stock ....not true i looked back at some records and in jan 04 they were replaced at the dealer ..sorry ..i knew it was to good to be true..

·
Registered
162 Posts
for the do it yourself guy is there a better bearing than the stock ones ..i told you guys mine were stock ....not true i looked back at some records and in jan 04 they were replaced at the dealer ..sorry ..i knew it was to good to be true..

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I'm in, all we need to do is set a date.

·
Registered
382 Posts
cool thanks Dawn, we can make a new video to sell on the net...you've all heard of the GGW tapes that sell like crazy. We can make a GOGW...grizzly owners gone wild. Call now operatotrs, standing by...

This thread went from changing front brakes to half naked older screaming guys being dragged around on the hood of a ford by a crazy ass Oklahoman and his trusty dog on a Grizzly...sounds like I've found my new happy place!!!!

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
hey georgiagrizzly,,,, this is what they mean by the oklahoma people get things off topic,,, lol,,,, for some reason it just happens,,,,,,,,,and Im all ready to do the car hood video,,, but it really helps to have some snow first,,,, we can call it "boys on the hood",,,,,,,,,,

and just to attempt to stay on topic,, dawn, I couldnt tell you if that is a good price or not, never had mine in the shop,, but you might think about letting that new boyfriend of yours do it,, he has to be good for something,,,, lol,,,, ,,,, ,,,,, ,,,,,, ,,,, cg

1 - 20 of 31 Posts