Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I was hoping for some info on the K&N air filter, and the bolt on flanges for the 660 grizzly. Are they really worth putting them on the bike? Also will i have to re-jet the carb.? My bike is completely stock, don't want to screw it up....

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I am not a big fan of K&N, I think that let too much dirt in and they are quite expensive. Anything that flows more air is also going to flow more dirt, it only makes sense. They are not really a good idea for a quad that is going to see any type of water or mud, they will become mushy and will allow water in the engine easier than a good foam filter properly oiled. I think they have the general public fooled on how good they are? It makes me laugh when I see a commercial on TV, they say they are the best air induction system money can buy but they don't say one word about filtering qualities? I would go with a foam UNI or TwinAir and even the stockers aren't bad. Just remember to clean them properly(foam) and use foam filter oil after they have dried...Irv

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Firelab, I second Irv's comments!!
I would go with a foam UNI or TwinAir or DuraBlue or Pro Flo, they are all soft two stage foam, you can also add an Outerware pre filter for added measure!
K&N are brilliant for road bikes but real bad for off road bikes!

You do not need to rejet as the Griz is naturally rich standard!

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Firelab,
I have 2 Grizzlies. One has the foam filter and one has the K&N. Next summer I'll try and do a comparison. I look at the Pro MX and GNCC racers. If one filter had an advantage over the other then they would all use that filter but half the riders use foam and half use K&N so I think they are both reliable. One thing I think everybody will agree on is the Pro Design (or similar) flange with the positive ataching filter of whatever design you choose is a must have item. It will absolutely reduce the possibility of dirt getting into your motor.

If all you do is change your filter, you will not have to rejet your carb. If you decide to put an aftermarket pipe on, you probably will have to rejet.
By the way, if you buy the Pro Design kit you can choose between foam filter or K&N. The K&N usualy run a little bit more.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
One more thing, the K&N flows more air than the foam. Something to keep in mind if you want to get more power out of your motor. But to get that power, the more air you let in the more you have to let out so just a filter change won't make much of a differance in your performance.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
I went with a Noss Machine billet flange. The reason I went with this over Pro Design is that I think it was better designed. It allows you to switch between K & N and Uni filters without changing the flange. I like running K & N when there is not alot of dust and Uni when it is dusty. With the Pro Design flange you have to purchase another flange to switch between the 2 different filters. The Noss Machine billet flange works great. Just Google Noss Machine for the link.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I didn't notice there was a differance between the two flanges. I'll have to check that out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys for all the input, Its really alot of help when everyone has an opinoin, about a topic. I'm going on my 1st ride tomorrow, can't wait to see what this grizzly will do....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts