Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do the K&N air filters add any to the performance of the 660 Grizzly or are the stock filters just as good? I am looking at small ways to make my Griz run even better :)

Any other performance tips you guys wouldnt mind sharing would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
The K&N will allow more air into the motor. More air combined with a less restrictive exhaust and possably larger main jets in your carberator will give you more power.
Just switching to the K&N filter alone won't do much for power, but if you buy the Pro Flow flange for the filter it will give a better seal and allow even less dirt into your motor.
If you keep the air box stock you may be better off keeping the stock filter because I've heard the seal on the K&N allows a lot of dirt to get through with the stock set up.

·
Registered
462 Posts
if you increase the flow of air to,or from your motor,you will have to at very least adjust the air/fuel mixture,,,,if this cant be accomplished by the mixture screw on the bottom of the carb,then rejetting will need to be done

if you use a more free flowing filter,it will change the air/fuel mixture your carb is set at,,,if just adding the filter,,,,,the mixture may be adjustable with the fuel mixture screw without rejetting

by allowing more air to enter the carb without adjusting the mixture will make you run too lean,,,,very bad for your engine,,,,even though running lean may not seem like much of a differance at first,whats going on is the amount of oxegen in the ignition is creating higher temps that the internal parts were designed for,,,,,end results can be burnt valves,hole in the piston,or warped head

also in colder times of the year will also cause your engine to run a little bit leaner as well,,,,the reason is,colder air retains more oxegen than thinner warmer air,,,,,im talking about temp change at the same elevation,,,not taking the bike from sea level to 5,000 ft above,,,,the higher the elvation would require MORE air in the mixture due to the air thinning in higher elevations

i forgot to answer your question,,,,i did my exaust,intake,and airbox all at the same time,so i noticed a drastic increase in HP,,,,i still feel if you were to go to the K&N it would definatly increase the power,how can it not,its just a matter of how much,,,,Starky is right,if your looking to do the filter,wait until you have the dough to get the Pro Flow Flange setup

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
K & N are great on road filters, I do not like their off road filters, I think Dura Blue and Pro Flow make far better filters. I suggest a foam filter above the hard filter type. I have heard many horror stories from mechanics about K&N off road filters.

·
Registered
462 Posts
96 bucks at

http://www.gopartsdirect.com

that was the cheapest place i could find

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sounds like too much work, adjustments, money, and know how. Maybe I'm missing something but it doesn't sound like you gain much or anything at all. Maybe just a new set of headaches.
If it ain't broke.......

·
Registered
462 Posts
one thing is important for you to figure out by doing intake or exaust upgrade,,,

if planning on doing one or the other,you need to ask yourself,AND ANSWER YOURSELF,will you be doing the other at a later date

if you think you will do just one or the other,thats fine,,,if you think your going to do both,i strongly recomend doing it all at once

i had the carb on and off about 8 times getting it tuned in,and its not just a matter of popping it on and off,there is alot to do just to get to it to get it off,and then everything has to go back on to see what the reaction is to the last adjustment

and i will add this,,,,it was worth every single agrivating momment of it

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Hoo's advise is very good, but you have to remember that the Grizzly, like most quads, come from the factory running rich. So just by adding a more free flowing filter should not cause a lean condition.
But to be safe, always check or have somebody you trust check to make sure.
Just remember, most dealership mechanics don't know any more than you do about air/fuel mixture.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts