Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help guys. 06 Grizzly, trying to install a [email protected] air filter. On my 2nd gasket so far tore threw both. Followed intr.and called [email protected] they said I was the 3rd call today for same problem.They have no problem putting the filter in at there shop . Any tricks or ideas as to how to get this thing in??? To me it seems like the gasket is to thick but they say no.I put oil on the gasket and filter still tore. They said to try white lithium grease, next time I will do that but I dont think it will make that much difference. What a pain in the ass this is.Thanks

2006 Grizzly

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Most guys that use the K&N use a prowflow flange adaptor, it mounts to your box and then the filter is attached with a gear clamp, some one in here has pics? Go to the members section at the top of the page and click on the little yellow pic. on the left to view pics. Good luck......Irv

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
My K&N did the same thing. Just take it out and throw it away. They don't filter dirt out very well and you never know if the gasket is still entact after you install it. The only dust my K&N is going to see is on the shelf in my garage. Take the time to wipe your intake between the carberator and the filter to see if its letting dirt through. I was always a K&N fan until I seen the dirt it was letting through. Sorry for the rant but after spending all that money on a filter that I can't use ,I'm bitter.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
K&N filters need a little more care than a foam filter. The advantage of the K&N is more air flow but if you don't maintain it correctly more fine dirt will get through. Don't waste your time and money on a K&N to replace your stock filter. You will actually be doing more harm than good. If you're going to go with a K&N, get the Pro Design kit with a flange to mount to your air box. Also, use a filter skin over the filter to help keep out fine dust and most importantly, maintain it like the instructions tell you to. You'll need a K&N filter cleaning kit. If you're not meticulas about cleaning your filter then stick with the foam but I still reccomend the Pro Design Flange kit.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I installed the Noss Machine flange. The advantage to this flange is that it will work with both Uni and K&N filters. The Quality and price was right. Walt

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
I also installed the Noss Machine flange for the same reason of fitting both K & N and UNI. Good price and product. Happy with the results.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
[No message]

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took the [email protected] filter back and got my money back. Gave them both tore gaskets also. This Noss set up do you have to mod the air box? or can you just screw the flange in without any trouble? I found it on ebay for $70 with filter and flange.I am also thinking about just buying a Twin Air filter.So let me know what it takes to install the Noss. Thanks

2006 grizzly

·
Registered
113 Posts
the install is easy. the trick is to remove the air box. 2 screws and the clamp on the front to the air box. I tried to install it without removing the box, after I droped the 2nd nut onto the skid plate... I gave up.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Like Fatboy said, it may seem like it takes longer to remove the air box, but you will save a ton of time in the long run.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
I took off the air box also. Works great and no chance of dirt infiltration like the stock piece of *%^*(

·
Registered
339 Posts
ProDesign flange will also allow you to use either foam or K&N. I use the K&N with a prefilter most of the year but if it gets dry and dusty through the summer I switch to a two stage foam filter.

Can't stress enough what Starky said about keeping your K&N clean and oiled properly then it will serve you well.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I ordered a Noss Machine flange kit and filter. I run [email protected] filters in all my toys this was the 1st time I had any problems. I have not looked at my air box as far as taking it out. Any tricks or tips I should know about when I install the flange kit? Thanks

2006 Grizzly

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
It's pretty simple, once you take the seat off and look at it you'll see. I was one of the guys that tried to take a short cut and install the flange with the airbox still on. I got one nut on and the other dropped down into the abys. It took me forever to find it.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
DK, seeing as you switch your filters around, do you notice any difference in power going from the K&N to the Foam?......Irv

1 - 15 of 15 Posts