Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what the cleaning process is for the K&N filter. I was told it is more labor intensive than a foam filter but would like to hear from someone else.
Also, what conditions are they more suited for. I don't do a lot of deep mud and water riding, but we have pretty heavy dust.
I believe the faom filter is better in heavy dust, but not sure.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
I dont have one on the grizz, but run one on the harley,,, simple to clean,, spray on some K&N cleaner... let it sit for a few mins. then wash out with a water hose and let dry,,,, then spray on some K&N filter oil,,,should work great in dust,,, on my old honda 250r I would rub some grease around in the airbox for the dust and sand(rode a lot at a place called little sahara state park in okla),,,, I have seen somewhere, I think on here, that there has been a problem with a gasket or something like that tearing on the K&N filter for the grizz, but not sure,,(might have been on the rincon),,,, If nothing else you should get a cool decal with it,,,, good luck

·
Registered
339 Posts
I highly suggest getting the ProFlow adapter from ProDesign racing and install it on your grizzly. It is an aluminum flange that attaches to your stock airbox then the filter attaches to the flange with a clamp. You can get either a K&N or UNI foam filter with this system. The adapter with filter will run around $120 with a K&N, little less with the foam.

If you go K&N be sure to get the prefilter with it, this also assists in blocking dust. The K&N is easy to clean as stated above, I feel easier than the foam. I have read lots of posts saying one is better than the other but never found any proof. The main thing is neither one is any good if you do not maintain it properly!

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the Pro-Flow with the foam filter on the 04 Griz but was thinking about a K&N for the 05. Maybe that way I can compare the two if I can get my wife to go everywhere I go.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Well said DKNARD. I run the ProFlow flange with a K&N and the prefilter on both me and my wifes. Had them on the Banshee, two Ranchers and now the two Grizzly's, oh and a K&N on my Ford Explorer. I like them..lol

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is the flange for the K&N the same for the foam filter. If the K&N ios easier to clean and just as good as foam, I may want to change out the one on Mrs. Starky's Griz.

·
Registered
116 Posts
The K&N Air Filter is the best filter money can buy! It's 10 times better than the stock air filter! The K&N Air Filter takes a little more time to clean than a foam air filter. The K&N Air Filter will give you the most air flow and add 1 horsepower.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Here is a pic of the flange mounted to the airbox. Not a real good one but its the best picture I have on hand with my old camera. Hope it gives you a idea if its the same.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
here it is all togeather.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Your filter looks shorter than the ones I got, both the K&N and the foam take up the entire airbox.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I have read on some other sites to stay away from the K&N filter? The reason it flows so well is because it is more porous so therefore it lets more dirt/dust in. I read an independent study on another website that was developed by a non-filter manufacturer so the the results weren't biased and they were not trying to sell you one of theirs! In most cases the K&N failed miserbly? They must have tested 10 different kinds of filters running them through various tests and 9 times out of ten the K&N was the worst? It made a believer out of me! Remember the Slick 50 craze, everybody thought it was the greatest stuff ever until it was proven to be just teflon that clogged everything up. Well K&N is run by the same type of hype, just money spent well on fooling the general public. Try atvtime.com atvfrontier.com highlifter.com and ask if some one can repost it? It is an awesome read and is well laid out with graphs etc. Like i stated before the people who did this test were out to find the best filter not to disprove K&N solely, it just happened to be the worst one out of all the filters they tested. Just some info for you before you drop youre hard earned cash on something that has been marketed to fool the general public......Irv

·
Registered
116 Posts
Look Man I have K&N Air Filters on my 2 dirtbikes and ATV. I've had the K&N Air Filter on my ATV for 4 years and have had no trouble at all! I've had no trouble with them on my 2 dirtbikes. If you look at professional drag racers and American Chopper and Monster Garage they all use K&N Air Filters on their machines! K&N is the best to me.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Ok Man, not trying to p-ss anybody off, just thought i would pass on what i read. After reading it i said there is no way i would ever use one in a dirt bike or quad with all that dust and dirt floating around. Using one on a race car or motorcycle might be a little less dusty but if K&N was paying me big bucks to use there products like American Chopper and Monster Garage i would use one in a heart beat! That is part of my original post! They have the general public fooled and continue to fool because guys like you see these big name shows using them so you think they must be good. When was the last time you did a compression test on your toys? Have you changed many pistons and rings? I am sure they do an adequate job but they are in no way the best filter on the market like they claim! Even some real inexpensive fiters about a 1/8th of the cost of a K&N trapped more dirt/dust than the K&N did. Anyways, it is your money and i am sure word will slowly get around just like it did with the Slick 50 craze and people will finally relize they have been getting ripped off all these years?.....Irv

·
Registered
78 Posts
K&N fliters flow good because they have alot more surface area.....if you take one apart and lay it out flat you will see that the surface is huge.....most of the people who say they dont work well never cleaned and re oiled them right

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've had a K&N air filter on my Yamaha Beartracker for 4 years and have only cleaned it a couple of times and have had no trouble at all! So I don't see where they let dust or dirt in! I ride everyday years and never had any problems. ???

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Master, what does that tell you? That is proof that it is not filtering the dirt/dust!! It should be filthy dirty with dust!! To only change a couple of times in 4 years, I bet most quads wouldn't even run because they would be so clogged with dirt/dust on a stock or uni-filter that was oiled right! I think you just proved my point and the tests/surveys point to a tee?........Irv

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Master, if the filter is not dirty on the outside then where is all that dirt going? You guessed it, inside where it doesn't belong! I personnelly don't care what anybody chooses in way of accessories or aftermarket parts, i just don't like seeing people getting ripped off buying something because they were mislead/lied to about a product. I think that is what these forums are for? To help, assist and inform fellow riders of all things good and bad? Use it if you like but it is not for me that is for sure!...........Irv

·
Registered
78 Posts
well irv I ran a K&N air filter for 6,500 hard miles on my old 94 Warrior...sold the quad to a local guy and him and his kids are still trying to run the wheels off it..........my best guess is it has over 10,000 miles on it by now.....I live in the desert and we have lots of dust out here.....if the K&N is as bad as you say then that Warrior would have blew up a long time ago....or at least needed a top end job.
I have to call BS on properly maintained K&N letting dirt thru.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Exactly there's people everywhere where I live who have K&N air filters and have had no trouble they just get better performance over crappy stock air filters. If this is true about K&N air filters letting too much dirt in everybody would be having loads of trouble. Don't believe everything you read I have hands on experience with Air Filters. K&N is the best period. I'm not trying to argue with anyone it's just my experience with the K&N air filters. I've never heard anybody having trouble with the K&N air filters letting too much dirt inside the engine.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
WOW, good stuff here, just keep it civil. We all have our opinions. Some are backed up by experience and some are just hear-say, but they're all just as valuable.
My personal observation is the K&N does allow a lot of dirt through if it's not properly maintained. That's why I was asking how hard they are to take care of.
I'm thinking I am going to stick with the foam filter. I'm not looking for more power and I'm familiar with it. Thanks for all the input.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts