·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the K&N filter make a noticeable difference vs. stock

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Stay away from the k&n filters on quads, dirt bikes etc. they allow way to much dirt to pass into the engine!! There is a good post somewhere but i haven't got time to look right now. It may even be in this forum? But try these and see if you can find it? atvtime.com, atvfrontier.com, grizzlyinfo.com, highlifter.com I beleive it is in one of these somewhere? It is a good read and a real eye opener!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Irv
I too have heard things about the K&N letting dirt in etc...will search for the post

Anyone else to share their take on K&N?

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have read allot of posts on filters and have not seen anything that has made me not use my K&N filter. Maybe it would be different if I was racing in the desert but for normal riding and the amount of dust that I ride in it isn't an issue for me. I do not let allot of dust build up on my prefilter or filter before cleaning it.

To me on the Grizzly it is more critical to install a ProDesign adapter inside the air box so that you can clamp on either filter you wish to use. The stock set-up has the potential to let more dust in than any filter ever wood.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
I agree with DKDARND on this one. I use the K&N filter with a prefilter but also have the ProFlow flange. I have used them on all my atv's and have not had a problem with any of them yet.

I know I have read bad reports on the K&N replacment that does not use the flange. From what I understand they do not seal real well and the seal has a tendency to rip. I think it was even Rob on here that had a peace of the seal sucked into the intake, but not sure if it was him or someone else Im thinking of.

Mike

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I agree, stay a way from K&N.
Personally I went for a double foam DURABLUE filter and then a pre-filter skin on top. Great Air Flow. very responsive throttle, and clean carb/engine!!
It's all you want.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you are using the ProDesign Pro-Flow setup I don't see how you can Possibly get anything into your intake. That is a very solid very positive seal with a clamp to hold the filter on. I have this setup on my 2005 Grizzly and heartily recommend it.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Where did you get the Prodesign Pro-flow set up from Larry? I am interested in the clamp style just for piece of mind. I don't exactly like how Yamaha has made the filter attach to the air horn on my 05 either.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Irv,

The Yamaha Banshee air filter and box is the same as the Grizzly, therefore the parts are interchangeable!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey Irv.
I got mine from a friend.
I know you are also on ATV Time. Look for MadMudder on the Time. You might also do a search on Google for ProDesign and or ProFlow. I think, but am not sure, that he got it from BC-Offroad.com.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
462 Posts
www.gopartsdirect.com

thats where i got my system,,,flange,filter,and prefilter for $89 bucks

and anyone who says its a bad system,im sorry i dont see it,,,i cant see how anything can get in

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
When I finally get out of here I plan to put the K & N with flange on my Griz. What I would like to see, and I'll do it myself if nobody else does, is a tissue test with the K & N. Someone with a K & N system needs to go through a lot of dust and when you clean your filter run a white tissue or TP around the inside of the air boot or carb. See how much dust is really getting through. I think that will answer a lot of questions. My wife has the Pro Flow with foam filter so I will be able to do it with both and compare but you're going to have to wait a while.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts