Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard great things about these tires and was wondering if anybody has them on this forum? I have read quite a bit about them and most people give the advantage to the Bear claws over the mudlites, mainly they last longer. They are one of the cheapest tires out there but seem to be one of the best for an all terrain tire? Any info on them, or a comparison to the Mudbugs would be appreciated...........Irv

·
Registered
462 Posts
Irv,,,i have a set of Kenda Bear Claws i use for a more everyday tire,,,,they are AWSOME

great traction,and they ride surprisingly good for a large lug tire,even on paved surface,,,,any tire that handles good on a paved surface will be absolutly sweet on the trails,,,,AND THEY ARE

any pictures you see of the bear claw ,do not give the depth of the lug justice as they do when you see them in person

i havnt had them during a winter as yet,but i have no worries that they will be awsome in the snow,because they ARE awsome in the mud

i have the Mudzillas for the deep hole mud slinging,but i am very impressed with the Claw's,and when these wear out,a new set of Claws are going right back on

i got both of my wheel kits from a shop down in Louisianna

www.laramp.net

they were the cheapest priced i found for all tire's,or wheel kits after alot of online research,,,and best yet FREE SHIPPING!!! they want to sell tire's,and wheel kits,so they will wheel 'n' deal

just tell them the HillBilly from West Virginia referred you to them (if you decide to buy from them),i got two wheel kits with the Claws,Zilla's, both with the C series 6 rims,and my Gorilla axles from them,great people,and their prices will be hard to beat

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Hoopharted, I think your reply helped me make my final decision! You said pretty much everything that I have heard about them but I wasn't aware they lasted that good! That sounds even better! Thanks for the laramp site, they do have great prices! I wish the exchange rate and shipping fees were better because I would order from them tonight! I will have to check prices up here in Canada first and compare. I would like to get the Bearclaws mounted on ITP wheels, either the 5, 6, or 7's? Which is the better wheel? I see you went with the 27"s and type 6 plus a wheel spacer kit, do you do serious mudding or something else? What are the advantages of this set-up? Do you think it is something that I should consider for mostly trail riding? Thanks again for your reply and info. Greatly appreciated!..........Irv

·
Registered
462 Posts
i was pretty much setting my bike up to go through some deep mud bogs,but yet keep it somewhat trail friendly,and i think i accomplished both very well

i recommend wheel spacers period,,,it really helped planting the bike to the road,and trail,,,and also they widen the stance as far as getting "fresh bite" on heavily traveled trails,,,this means that most trails/ruts/mud holes were created by bikes with a somewhat standard wheel base,,the spacers help you get added traction while running through these areas by fully utilizing the side lugs on your tire,basically giving you twice the traction of a standard wheelbase bike,allowing you to get through with greater ease than them( not to mention the added stability)

i went with the 27" tires,basically because they were considerably larger over stock,and i felt the 28"s would be a lil extreme,keep in mind i still wanted to keep it somewhat trail friendly,since all of mud holes take some getting too

i really feel my end result,was what i was shooting for,,,i'm very pleased

they do make a 14" rim now,which the theory behind is,it allows you to go to a 28" tire without the loss of handling like you will see with a 12" rim,,,,,when you go to a 28" tire,on a 12" rim,the amount of sidewall is too much,which in turn gives your tire too much side to side flex,or balloon feeling,,,,,with the 14" rim,your making up for the larger tire with the rim itself,less side wall

i kept the 12" rims when i purchased them,because i was getting 2 sets of tires,and rims,so it was more cost effective to stay with the standard size,,,,if i had the extra dough,the 14" rims ARE the way to go (the 14" rims are type 7,,,,4,5,6 are 12" rims),,,keep in mind,the 14" rims are somewhat new,and i believe ITP are the only ones who make treads that fit (XTR's),,,pretty pricey

·
Registered
462 Posts
one other thing,,,ive had the Bear claws for about 4 months,and they do seem to be wearing very well,,,,when i was doing research prior to purchasing,i found out ITP tires wear very fast,and the claws wear nicely

however,i dont think 4 months is really long enough for me to attest to whether or not they do in fact wear great,,,but as far as i can see,for a deep lug tire,they seem to be doing great so far in the wear department

also in my research phase of my decision,i found out that the Bear Claw was the tire of choice for folks in the Northern states,if that helps since your up in Canada

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info HooPharted, Yea, i think the BearClaws will suit my riding terrain perfectly? Probably very similar terrain as northern states? I think i will try the tire/rim combo first and see if i need the wheel spacers? With the type 4,5 or 6's you get a wider stance compared to stock do you not? Hopefully that will be enough for me? Now i just have to find the cheapest place to get this combo and safe up! Hopefully Santa will be good to me? Thanks again.......Irv

·
Registered
462 Posts
i'm running 27-12-12's in the rears,and 27-10-12's up front

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Hoopharted, do you know if the BearClaws only have a 2 ply sidewall? I was told tonight they did? I am concerned about this because of all the rocky terrain i ride in the summer. My brother in-law has sliced his 2 ply stockers twice on the same trails. I hope they are stronger than stockers on the side wall?.......Irv

·
Registered
462 Posts
Irv,,,,i seen you mention that in the other thread,,,,and i thought i was going banana's,,,,,i went to the shed,and double checked,and they ARE 6 ply,,,,,,,either someone has misinformed you,,,or the smaller size's may only be 2 ply,,,,,but my 27's most definatly say 6 ply on the side wall

i think all 27's,and 28's are 6 ply,,,they have to be in order to keep the side wall from flexing

i cant see where you posted what size you were getting,,,but atleast look into the 26"ers (they might be 6 ply,im not sure,,,i'll see if i can find out)

but if its 6 ply you want,you might consider going up in size to where they offer it in a 6 ply

·
Registered
462 Posts
Irv,,,that site i posted earlier,says that the Kenda Bear Claw is a 6 ply tire,,,,they had sizes 22',through 27" listed,with no mention of any of them being 2 ply

straight from the site......

Kenda Bear Claw K-299

*The Bear Claw is a superior tire for almost any terrain.

*This tire has a 6 ply rating and provides great traction in the ruts due to its sidewall knob. Also, the Kenda Bearclaw has Bead Guard Protection.

*All Bearclaws have a Claw Hotpatch on the sidewall.

and from there it goes to the differant sizes

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Hoo, I seen in a retailers magazine they state they are 6 ply but the guy I was talking to tonight said they were 6 ply on the tread and only 2 ply on the sidewall? I know he is trying to push his Mudlites so maybe he is trying to deter me from getting the BearClaws? I may just write Kenda and see what they say? I will let you know. Thanks for all your help HooPharted, I still want these tires especially after seeing your Pics! I will be going with the 26 inchers all around, 26-9-12 fronts, 26-12-12 rears.....Irv

·
Registered
462 Posts
yea let me know Irv

alot of or trails have tree roots in the ruts,and when the rain ruts the trails on the power lines,we have big chunks of shale sticking out,havnt punctured any yet,,,,also bounce over rail road tracks alot too,and the sides of the rails get strips of steel breaking off tha are really sharp,,,havnt cut one yet

something doesnt sound right though,2 ply,and 6 ply on the same tire?

anyway 26's will be a happy medium for ya

cya around Irv

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I wrote them yesterday but still no reply? My computer holds back e-mails some times so maybe it will be there tomorrow? I will let you know.......Irv

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I received a reply from Kenda today and they are indeed a 6 ply tire all around! No 2 ply side wall that my stealer tried to tell me? I guess he must be stuck with a whole bunch of Mudlites? I will now most definately be purchasing these in the very near future. Thanks for all your help Hoopharted, like I stated earlier, your post/pictures helped me make my final decision....Irv

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Hey Irv,

Let me know how you like the Kenda Bear Claws in 26".

I am thinking about getting some, my Bighorns are nearly finished!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will Beast, I just don't know when that will be though? Hopefully sooner rather than later?........Irv

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Thanks Irv,

Ive been debating getting myself the Douglas Rims and 26" Bear Claws or 26" Bighorns.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a set of bear claw on my kodiak and all I have to say is lookout.
Mine are three years old and about 3500 kms on them with 20% wear.
Very good tires.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Whiteman, that is great to hear........Irv

·
Registered
701 Posts
Well, as I said in another post I have one ride on my atr's and that day I got one puncture in a brand new ATR...plugged it and finished the day. Went to the garage tonight and the other rear tire is flat. What a joke...new tires should not be doing this. I've ridden these same trails with my stock tires and mst's and had no problems. It bums me out because the ride was great from the atr's. much better than the mst's. Plus I liked switching down back to 25" tires and having all my power back. Now I'm thinking about bighorns, bear claws, carlisle act's, and ducks unlimited wetlands.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts