Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Lads,

I went out to the floodplains last week end to try and bag a pig. The place I went was 30 odd klms from the road and as usual I had a mate with me and all our gear on the Blue Meanie. She handled the load easy, On the Sunday around lunch time the grizz's overheating light came on so I pulled up in some shade and let it cool down a bit (It was stinking hot, probably around the 40deg C) and the grass on the plain was 5 feet high so the quad was not getting any clean air either. This happened twice.

We had cut a track with the quad for over 20klms to get to this part of the flood plain, I run down sand palm and small saplings and dead trees without too much trouble (except every now and then the trees are tougher than they look). About 20 klms from the car I pushed through a small shrub, unfortunately there was a sand palm stump leaning towards the quad...................and you guessed it.....................straight over the winch smashed the grill and slammed into the radiator pushing it hard against the fan and stopping it from turning.

We were a long long way from the car so the last thing I wanted was to break open the radiator core......... We stripped off the front rack and bonnet and managed to free the fan by removing a bolt from the radiator and the fan shroud. We then had a long ride to the ute worrying about the radiator or fan giving up on us and having to walk (A VERY LONG WAY)

The Grizz got us to the ute with no more problems. But I am going to strip it down over the wet season and repair/replace the radiator and grill and build a new front bumper setup with a quick hitch setup for the winch (just like CG, those pics will be handy mate) and I also intend to protect the front end with some light weight expanded mesh.

I will post some pics of the damage in the next day or so.

The moral of this story, you really should travel in pairs in remote areas..........you just never know.

Here is a pic of one of the buff we seen on the Saturday

Cheers Noel

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Noel, take a look at the Highlifter Radiator Upgrade at the same time.
When I had my fan pack up on me a few months ago, I considered changing the whole system. In the end I just bought a Yamaha fan. But the Highlifter kit looked like a very good upgrade!

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Beast,

I will look into it mate.

Cheers Noel

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Glad to hear to didn't have to hike it out of there Interceptor! That could have been nasty. Do those buffs ever give chase or are they fairly timid? I agree, never ride alone, you never know what could happen. Thanks for sharing and good luck with Grizz........Irv

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Irv,

They are funny buggers, they will quite often try and go down wind to try and sniff you out, some times they run at the sight of you other times they will want to come over and give you a fair touch up!!!

We had a guy killed by one earlier this year and there are always stories going around town about a buffalo chasing some one.

It just keeps you on your toes :)

Cheers Noel

1 - 5 of 5 Posts