Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, new Grizzly owner here...not new to Yamaha though!

Just a couple thoughts & questions...

I have had my 08' Griz 700 EPS for a couple weeks now, I have put around 40 miles on it so far and couldn't say enough good things about it. It's by far the best ATV I have ever had. I was poking around on the internet a few days ago and was excited to find that there was a "free horsepower" mod you could do just from the digital display unit. Dissapointed when I found out Yamaha put the brakes on this feature for late 07's and 08 models. Bummer...

After doing more research, it seems as though there is more to this mod than just a performance gain, in that it may help with the Grizzly's possible "lean" low RPM factory fuel map settings.

Last night (after dark), just for fun I started up the griz and let it warm up for around 60 seconds and then took off just to the end of my driveway and back, not running it hard at all, just moderate acceleration. I got back to my house, put it in park, hopped off and took a peek through the fender well at the engine, and sure enough...the exhaust head pipes are glowing orange. This all happened within a matter of 2-3 minutes cold start to finish. I could understand if they were glowing after having it pinned wide open crawling through a mud hole in low range for several minutes, but this short trip to the end of the driveway and back seems as though shoudln't be getting the head pipes glowing red hot.

Does this necessarily indicate a lean condition, or is this normal for the head pipe(s) to glow all the time once the machine is up to normal operating temp? I have been considering getting the Dobeck module to richen it up a little across the rpm range and possibly a power tip to help free up some of the restricted exhaust gas. Maybe the combination of the two will help get this into a safer running condition along with a possible increase in power?

Just wondering if anyone has had a positive experience with either of these items, or has experienced similar (possible) problems and what they have done to correct it. I did contact the dealer and they didn't have much to say, they said pull the plug and see if it looked really white to indicate a lean condition.

**** Yamaha had to go change things for 08'! That brings up another thing...I work at a Yamaha dealer (not ATV) but can get any yamaha parts and can order a 07' speedo / digital display assembly for about the same price as the Dobeck module...but it's a gamble whether I would get one thats able to adjust the fuel settings.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I have heard of pipes glowing red before so yours is not the only one. From what I remember I heard it was normal and eventually after the quad breaks in it will more than likely disappear or almost disappear? I think with the EFI and computer you don't have much too worry about? It's still under warranty isn't it? Drive it hard.........Irv

P.S. Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
223 Posts
EricM82, I see you are from around the same area as me. Where do you ride most? I usually go up near abbot and greenville. I've been downeast near beddington as well. Know of any other good trails?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Me and my buddies usually ride around the Orrington and Bucksport area...we are heading up to Schoodic Lake this thursday to put on some miles. We go once or twice a year up to the Houlton area also. There is way more riding up north then around here, you can ride all day in this area and only put 10 miles on, but up there you could do 100+ easily. The problem is I'm the only Yamaha in a bunch of Polaris Sportsman's so someone always breaks down...last week 2 700 Twin polaris's boiling coolant all over the ground after a small climb up the powerline...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hello Eric,
Congrats on the new Grizz!
I have had mine just under a month and have put 160 miles on it and have not seen the pipes glowing.
I am new to the game so can't offer ya more than that.
WoW

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 2020 kodiak 700 SE. Noticed the same thing after about 20 minutes of light riding. iv seen people say its normal during break in, others say its lean, and some say valves are out. Doesn't seem to be any straight answer. My machine only has 10 hrs on it so if its a break in thing that would make sense, and seems like a similar situation for you

1 - 7 of 7 Posts