Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ATV owners have less and less areas to ride. Minnesota is really getting bad. A lot of places you could ride a snowmobile are prohibited to ATV. Road ditches especially come to mind. Legislature has made it nearly impossible to ride an ATV. They aren't welcome on roads, and when it comes to taking them off road legally they somehow still manage to piss someone off. It really grinds my gears that out of all the motorized vehicles that ATV's are public enemy number one. Heck, how can bicyclists share roads with cars before an ATV? I guess my solution to that problem is to tear up all the paved roads. I am wondering how other states are when it come to where you can ride your ATV?

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
06GrizzSE, this story may help your cause? Maybe you could e-mail this or what ever to one of your city officials? I read it on atvfrontier.com and posted it on a few of my local atv forums with the hopes someone with some pull would show it to our city officials? It is a good news story and I think once the government realizes the money and contribution that ATV's provide to local economies they may change their minds? Good luck.......Irv

http://morningsentinel.mainetoday.com/view/columns/2672236.shtml

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link. Atv's are a great way to get out and see the wilderness. There is a huge misconception by a lot of people that people riding atv's are only out on the trails to rip them up. I think that there is a big difference between a sport atv and a utility atv. Most of the public assumes people riding atv's are irresponsible teens riding the sport models. There was a story on the news about a year ago with a teen who broke his neck (doing something stupid) but then went to say how atv's aren't safe. That story really made a bad impression for all atv's. I guess the place to start would be changing public opinion.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Two problems... first, there are too many greenies, especially in government, who will distort the facts to their advantage and make up tails that the media will run with about how ATVs destroy the environment (much like they say about SUVs). Then there are the very few who do go rip places up with their ATVs that help give everybody a bad name. So rather than go after the actual problem people, they just close the areas to ATVs entirely. This is the easy way out for government officials who would much rather spend time trying to fund their own pork-barrel spending and back pockets. IMO, if you want a good place to ride your ATVs, leave the states behind that won't allow it and move someplace that will... in no particular order: Colorado
Arizona
New Mexico
Utah
Nevada
Montana
Idaho
California
Yep, even California. Despite being the greenest of all green states, they still have a pretty darn good OHV program and lots of places to ride. Nevada is probably the best because there are NO ATV laws other than you can't ride on the highway. Unless it's Wilderness (and there are only a couple of small Wilderness areas in the state), it's pretty much fair game. Literally hundreds of thousands of miles of trails to ride and places to explore. Rob

·
Registered
93 Posts
06GrizzSE:

Read this section: Land Use and Political Issues (perhaps where this thread should be moved)

I have dealt with ATVers on a professional law enforcement basis and there are a growing number of operators and a certain unknown percentage of ATVers are causing problems. Age is often not a factor because there are retired ATVers that will spin donuts in pristine areas and drive off-road in wilderness. They are inconsiderate, aggressive, litterbugs, purposely tear up off-road areas and need to be stopped so the rest of us don't lose our rights. We ethical ATVers and the ATV Industry need to do more to rid us of the unethical users.

I have seen both sides of the issue and right now we are going to lose our ATV privileges if we don't change the unethical, irresponsible users' attitudes.

In Arizona you are required to have your ATV "street legal" to use on many State and Federal lands.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
boy it must have been great back in the old west somone did somthing to piss you off you just shot them.my $.02 bob m

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey 06GrizzSE,
Man I here your problem. I live north of you and there is alot of problems with where and what we can do. My solution so far is to head up North to Park Rapids. They have a fair amount of places you can hit up. No long extensive trails but a fair amount of Loggin Roads with a little road greese to mess up the machine if you know what I mean. We should ride some time if we could locate a decent trail system. The ones that head upto the Duluth area are nice but most of the trails are not open because of low funding. PM me some time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts