Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what you guys go by in your decision to use low or high range? Is it OK to leave it in high range if you are just trail riding? How fast can you usually go in low before switching it to high? Any problems going slow with it in high range? Thanks..........Irv

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Irv,

I do almost all my trail riding in 2WD high range. The only time I switch to 4WD is if an obstacle/river/mud demands it. If it is severe I will then use Low range and if I am stuck I will use diff lock to get out.
Steering is much easier in High range 2WD and this makes general trail riding fun!!

I switch from 2WD to 4WD on the move (up to about 20km/h). I always stop dead when i shift from High to Low range!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Irv,

It really depends on the trail weather I run high or low range. Generally I run low range in these conditions.
1. Rough and technical trails where speeds are between 0 and 15 mph. Although you can run it up in the 20's in low range with no problem.
2. Anytime I am entering a large deep stream crossing or mud holes. Some slow streams if you know them and they are not over the floorboards or wet trail areas you can run high.
3. Anytime I am entering a unknown mud hole or stream crossing.
4. Steep inclines.

There is no problem going slow in high range if it is an easy trail and not steep. Sometimes I run my daughter around on some local trails with me and I keep the speed down under 10 so I run low range.

I have a tach on my Grizzly and it is interesting watching it. The sweet spot that it likes to run slow at is between 3000 and 3500 rpm. And you can't really cross reference that over to a speed because it will run 3000 rpm at a wide range of speed.

·
Registered
95 Posts
DKNARND,

I'm interseted in your tach. setup. What mfg, where you mounted it, how you managed to water/mud proof it. ect. A tach would be a great modification. If you don't mind, how about some pics and info.

Thanks, Scott

·
Registered
339 Posts
The tach is a Tiny-Tach and you can find it at tinytach.com or it is also sold in Cabelas. Very simple to hook up and mount, it comes with a small coaxial wire about 4 foot long and splits at the end into two cables. One gets wrapped around the spark plug wire and the other goes to ground. I have the TT226R-2C model.

I mounted it on the left front fender where the warning placard is located and ran the wire in along the shifter. I have seen them mounted on the black plastic that covers the head of the stearing shaft also, which I imagine if you are snorkled and always run in deep water would be your best location. Myself I don't like anything added on up near the handlebars. Just put mine on this winter so serious water or mud has not touched it yet. It is well sealed so I don't think it will be a problem where I have it.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
I love your water temp guage... I need to get one.

I have a Tiny Tach too, but mine is mounted on top of the black plastic piece that goves over the handlebar clamp, so I can see it while riding.

I agree with what everybody said about when to use Low Range. I also tend to judge by the sound of the motor whether I need to use Low or not.

One thing to consider... those of you who run larger tires who have NOT reclutched will want to use Low more than the rest of us. The larger, heavier tires really screw with the engine RPMs and you'll lose a lot of power until your clutching is matched to the tires.

Rob

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm real happy with that guage. Again I did not want anything on the handle bars so I wanted a flush mount. Only thing is I wish I would have added the guage before I installed the two switches there. In low range it gets blocked by the shifter know and I have to peer around the knob to see it. If I would have installed the temp guage first I could have placed it in the area of the two switches and it would not be blocked there, then the switches could be moved to the left.

BTW before anyone askes the top switch is for my winch and the bottom switch deactivates both my reverse and difflock rev limiters.

And to reiteriate what Rob said about larger tires and no clutch work when I put my 26" tires on I had the stock clutch. With that set-up I had to run low range on smooth slow trails. With the clutch kit everything is back to normal.

·
Registered
256 Posts
DKNARND
I'm curious, what's the RPM when running at top speed?

·
Registered
43 Posts
DK, great sep up, functionality is the key.....

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Im about the same for the hi/low issue. Normal trail riding I use high but as soon as I get into some slow going or technical riding, mud, rocks, or anything else that im not sure of I always stick to low so I make sure that if I need that extra power to get out of a situation it will be there.

·
Registered
339 Posts
GrizzFan, Don't know because I have not seen top speed! Can't do it unless I get out on a road and I don't do that to often. Maybe this weekend I will take it down the road and check it out.

Rarely do I get up over 40mph and if I do it is just for a short time. My rides keep me in the woods most of the time.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the replies guys,I kinda thought the same, just wanted to make sure i wasn't doing anything harmful to my new quad. I think I am going to get one of those tachs as well? Too bad Yammy didn't have a tach and a temp gauge from the factory!

·
Registered
339 Posts
GrizzFan,

Well I had the Griz on the road this weekend and at 55 mph I was running 6100 rpm and I had to back out of the throttle because it was still increasing in speed. This was on a flat section of road, so at 6100 I still had some more throttle room left.

And earlier I made a comment that the sweet spot of the Grizzly was 3000 to 3500 rpm, well it is more like 4000 to 4500 rpm. Doesn't matter if you are running low range or high range it develops the best power starting at about the 4000rpm range.

The transmission and clutch on the Grizzly is really something to marvel. It really does its job and keeps you in between the 3000 to 5500 rpm range no matter what you are doing. You never bog down like if you select the wrong gear on a manual.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts