Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '02 Grizzly has recently developed a miss at low to mid range throttle positions under load. It sounds/ feels like the rev limiter is kicking in. Sometimes you can feather the throttle and get through the bog-miss, but not always. The unit has 800 miles on it and is mostly stock except for a K&N filter and some 26" 589's. The problem started last week on a trp out to the Rocky Mountains and I thought it may be elevation related, but it does back at home also (low elevation) and the 3 other grizzly's on the trip ran fine. I have never adjusted the valves or played inside the carb at all.

Has anyone else seen a problem like this?
Has anyone heard of updated jetting for the early '02's?
Has anyone had any issues with the automatic decompression?

We now are on our 3rd grizzly and this same unit does not seem to have the same throttle response as the other two. One had a pipe when we got it, so I attributed the difference to that, but we just got a new '04 and it is completly stock and kicks but on the '02 for throttle response.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
30 Posts
CatCupl,

I have an 05 model and had a little bog in mid range as you explained. I bought a new higher heat sparkplug - ngk from the yamaha place and it seemed to fix most of the problem. There's very little lugging at all now but I hear if you re-jet you can fix it all. but the easiest and cheapest way is just try a new spark plug first.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JP,
Thanks for suggestion. I will try a new plug this weekend. This is more than a small bog, I would say it is quite severe. If I hit that spot in the throttle and cannot work through it the machine will come to a stop. If I am on a slight hill I have to shift into low range to get rpm's up enogh to make it through the hill.

I did recently do a compression check on the motor and it read 30 psi, I then checked our other '02 that runs good and it had 80 psi. I am going to check the '04 and see where it is, but I am planning to recheck the compression wet and see if adjusting the valves will help at all. I am a little concerned at the compression value because when I pulled out my K&N air filter to clean it last time the gasket was torn near the bottom. I didn't see a trail of dust and dirt going through the tear, but it definitly was not sealed completely. Not too pleeased with K&N kit. I have since glued the gasket to the air box and put a slight chamfer on the leading edge of the filter base where it slides into the lower holder to aid in installation.

CatCupl

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine has a slight bog as well, but only when I'm full throttle. It starts about 30 mph but goes away and if I keep it pinned ( which I like to do ) it does it again around 48 mph. I was also told the only fix was a re jet. Yamaha agreed that it was due to the bike being assembled in the north, but I'm at a different altitude down here in Louisiana. They also agreed they would not cover the fix. (wow, thats surprising!) I wonder if the different spark plug would help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I checked the valve adjustment and the intake valve were all tight! The exhaust valves were fine. After adjusting the intakes I took it for a test drive and it is back to a new machine. I am also installing the heat kit update, so it worked out good to have everything opened up. Since I am in there I am also going to install a FMF Stage 1 carb kit. I just received the kit and it is a Dynojet kit re-packeaged, which contains main jets, a needle jet, and calls for an idle mixture adjust. On stock units adjusting idle mixture may help low to mid range misses or hesitations. I am also going to get or make a new exhaust tip. I looked making one when I first got my Grizz and didn't do it then. After seeing that Alum billet unit you guys are talking about I may attempt something similar to that. I let you know how the carb kit effects performance.

CatCupl

·
Registered
31 Posts
T have had that same problem with my 02. I f i get it in just a little bit of a bine it will hit the rev limiter but then other times its fine. I bought mine used and the guy said he got it in a water hole over the rack and had to get a new belt and sprag cluch put in it. I found a company called Hauck performance that has a new cdi box that will eliminate the rev limiter in reverse and in diff lock. So im going to try that and see if that fixes it.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
before you buy a rev box to eliminate the rev limiter in reverse and diff lock do a search on here,,,, it is a simple mod to override the limiter,,,, I would go into futher detail but have been out late tonight and am seeing double at the time,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,, cg

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Cg, you come home from partying and the first thing you do is check the forum?
That's wierd.

·
Registered
339 Posts
What is a sprag clutch?

If the person told you he submarined the Grizz I would be checking it over completely. Going in that deep it is possible he sucked water into the engine so first thing is check the oil and change it plus do both front and rear differential. Next thing I would do is look into the clutch and regrease it just incase he didn't. What's the air filter look like? Dielectric grease all wire connections. An 02 probably needs a valve adjustment.

Without knowing what type of maintenance you have done to it and how long you have been running it I would say service the entire machine. And on the rev limiters it is very easy to bypass both the reverse and difflock limiter without buying a cdi, actually I don't know anyone that has been happy with a cdi change.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Catcupl, try shutting it off and restarting when that happens. I rode with a guy whose grizz would do stuff like that. If he quickly turned it off and restarted all would be well for a while. He never did find the problem???????

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Starky, I'm worried about cg... too!!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well i did change all the oils when i bought it and i put a new filter on it, but sometimes it will do it and some times it wont. When the guy drownded it out he took it to the dealer to fix it and im thinkin its something they did to it. Its like its a safety thing and it dosent want the belt to sliip or something.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would appriciate all the help i can get because it is realy anoying/

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
hey guys,,,,Im single,,what do you expect me to do when i get home from partying,,, better yet, dont answer that,,,,, ,,,,,, cg

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Listen cg, if you carry on visiting this site, after each "night out on the town", you are going to remain single for a long time!!

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
boy would'nt that be great.my grizz never give me any shti

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I'm with CG on this one! You guy's make it sound like a bad thing to get on here when ever he wants? Man the freedom! Every time I get on here all I hear is "are you on that computer again?" Enjoy CG while you can........Irv

·
Registered
144 Posts
The grizz didn't run, or die, like that when new. So threre is a problem and it is possible to figure it out. It sounds like a fuel problem to me.
More specifics please!
The way I understand it, it dies under load but will restart with some time off.
Sounds like a fuel problem to me.

Too lean or to rich could act the same. Pull the choke on while ridding and it will die.
Run out of gas while climbing a hill, and it will die.
I would start with the fuel line going into the carb and take it off the carb and check for fuel flow. If that is good, Cheak to make sure choke cable had enough slack to allow turning hanle bars back and forth with out pulling on choke.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The grizz didn't run, or die, like that when new. So there is a problem and it is possible to figure it out. It sounds like a fuel problem to me.
More specifics please!
The way I understand it, it dies under load but will restart with some time off.
Sounds like a fuel problem to me.

Too lean or to rich could act the same.

Pull the choke on while ridding and it will die.

Run out of gas while climbing a hill, and it will die.

I would start with the fuel line going into the carb and take it off the carb and check for fuel flow. If that is good, Check to make sure choke cable had enough slack to allow turning hanle bars back and forth with out pulling on choke. If it is not a cable adjustment than it could be internal in the carb.
Float not sunk? No dirty jets?
Mother In Law a Voo Doo Whitch Crafter??

1 - 20 of 20 Posts