Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just got a grizz. it is a 02 with supertrapp, clutch kit and 27 vampires. runs great but it will only do 47. i checked it with gps, says same thing. is my belt worn out? or what. ive always had clutch/gears. any clue, thanks

·
Registered
341 Posts
Jim,

It may very well be the belt being worn out of spec. The manual states proper belt width should be 33.2mm (1.31") just take your cover off and measure the width with a set of vernier calipers or a 1-2" micrometer. If the measurement is way under what it states of low limit 29.9mm (1.18"), time for a new belt. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Jim,

I'm totaly guessing here, if it's not the belt it could also be when the previous owner installed the pipe, he may not of jetted it. I found on mine when it was real lean, it wouldn't pull at all on the big end. Good luck and let us know what you find.

Tim

·
Registered
256 Posts
Your 27 vampires may also affect your top speed--But 47mph, that's not likely the tires alone

·
Registered
224 Posts
I am new to the whole belt thing so I have no real history with them. I do know however that the break-in period is extremely important...I followed the manual to a tee (first 10 hours 25% throttle ect ect)... This helps get the valves seated correctly and keeps the full power of the explosion's force towards the piston and not going out around the valves.

I also know that after my break in 24 hours on bike I was able to easisly hit 65+MPH on asphalt and still had throttle to go...now this was with the stock tires. I now have 26" mudlites and have not tested those but I would guess 60MPH should be expected...

How often should you check your belt??

·
Registered
10 Posts
jimlee,

did you figure out what it was yet? i have 27" itp589's with itp alum rims and 59-61mph on the speedo is topped out depending on conditions. my bike has around 650 miles on it. i was wondering about the belt life as well.

bluegrizz - thanks for the specs, now i can maek an accurate assessment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts