Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In AZ where I will be using my Grizzly mostly, I must get my ATV registered just like a street legal motorcycle with the same type of plate, license/registration, and insurance to use even on remote dirt roads. That is fine with me and I fully support that requirement. In addition to the headlights, tail light, brake light (?) etc that are already on the rig, I must install the following on my ATV for street legal registration in AZ:

1)Rear View Mirrror

2)Horn

3)License Plate Light

(I haven't gotten my Grizz yet; is there an existing plate mount fixture on the frame or body?) There is also a brake light, correct?

Have any of you installed a horn and license plate light on your rig? What was the approximate cost and where is a good place to get the parts? The dealer wants $130.00 parts/labor to do the job.

Thanks,
Ron

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi ATVrk

here in spain all ATV are street legal and the manufacturers have to take this into account when the install the electrical harnesses etc. We have to have number plate holder with illuminating light, horn, indicators and mirror. Ours come with road legal kit already installed. The cost is approx $300. So $130 is probably reasonable.

Good luck, GrizzlySpain

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the prompt reply GrizzlySpain. I have to make a decision by today or tomorrrow at the latest.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
ATVrk just read a article in the Dirt Wheels about them having a street legal Rhino in AZ. I for one would think that would be cool :)

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Atvrk, the Grizz does already have a brake light, license plate holder and license plate light. It's a good start I guess.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
addicted2mud: Thanks for the info. I looked on the Montana Jack's website and found a street legal system for $39.99. It includes a horn system and a tail/stop/license plate light that I can keep as a spare along with the brake switch. The horn kit was $29.99 so for the extra $10.00 I got the switch ($9.00) and a 3-way tail light ($14.99).

The official Yamaha site only had this: 5-watt/21-watt tail/brake light and did not mention a license plate light as part of the system.

However, if I had checked back here and read your post before I placed a big order I would have saved $10.00. By the way, the rear view mirror was $23.00. So for $63.00 I will make my Grizz street legal.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Once you do all this work, I immagine you are going to have to buy insurance to ride it on the street. That could be expensive. Also, do you have to put different tires on it?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Here we go again!! I just can't resist it!!

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
That does look cool. Too bad the gas milage isn't all that great. Of course riding it on the road it may be a little better.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Starky: The insurance is only $75.00 per year for basic liability (minimum required by the State of AZ) from Progressive Direct. Not bad, I've had motorcycle insurance from them for years. Their online site is very easy to navigate and they have a section for ATVs.

No, I plan on keeping the stock tires because I might ride on pavement occasionally. I don't plan on mudding, only when a mud hole turns up on a trail ride.

The Beast: My Grizz sure doesn't look like that...I plan on scratching mine up a bit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts