Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just about ready to buy some Maxis Big Horn Tires. I was reading in one of the threads that someone loved their Big Horns, but they were really bouncy over 35 MPH. Has anyone else had that problem?

The owner had attributed the bouncy to a wheel balancing problem. Can you balance ATV tires and keep the weights on the rims. (Probably glue on Mag wheel weights.)

·
Registered
701 Posts
I believe some people have balanced their tires. And I believe the bighorns getting bouncy were on pavement riding. My atr's shake at speed on pavement, but I never notice it on the trail and I tend to ride fast. Same goes for the mst's i had. They shook so much it was downright scary on the pavement. In the trails they were fine. I plan on going with Bighorns this spring. I think they are great tire.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I have Bighorns and I've had them for just over a year now. If he says they are bouncy then they are pumped too hard!! Normal Griz Dunflop tyre is pumped 35KPA and Bighorn Radial Should be +/- 55KPA and no harder. I have done 108km/h on a hard pack farm road with no bounce at all!

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've got almost 2000 miles on my Bighorns and have had not had any bouncy stuff going on. I love these tires and will get another set if they ever wear out.

Air presure in very important!

·
Registered
339 Posts
When they first came out allot of the Bighorns would do this and Maxxis even acknowledged thay had problems with balance on the tire. I bought a set for my brothers Eiger and at 30 mph you had to really pay attention because the handlebars would be moving all around. My source was able to replace the tires free of charge with ones that had a little mark on the sidewall (I believe yellow) to indicate they were a new batch. I had to cut the date code out of the sidewall of the original set and send it back to the distributor who forwarded it back to Maxxis. The new tires are smooooottthhh.

My distributor indicated to me that he had sold a few sets that Maxxis replaced as I have mentioned.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I haven't seen a post about the Bighorns, but I posted about the Dirt Devils being bouncy. I bought 2 sets and they both act identicle. I also read on other forums that Dirt Devils were known to do this. You really only notice it from 35 mph and up but it isn't obtrusive and there is no feeling like you need to hang on to keep control.
I've heard of guys balancing their tires, mostly the guys that drag race at very high speed. I'm not sure if my problem is anoying enough to do that or not.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I don't ballance my Bighorns because I have 1.5 litres of Slime (puncture preventative fluid) in each tyre and ballancing would be a joke then!

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
I have and love the Bighorns. Got them on a 2000 and a 2005 Grizzly. Much better being a radial than stock or the other guys tires. NO problem at speed. You may have other suspension/steering problems.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
The early Bighorns were very unbalanced above 35 mph, and mine are early ones. I need to have 'em balanced. I just hope they can make the weights stick on my Maxxis Maxlite wheels.

FWIW, the Carlisle PXT Radials on my Sportsman 800 came balanced from the factory. The weights are only on the inside of the wheel, but it works great becasue it rides very smooth on asphalt up to 65 mph (as fast as I've had it so far).

Rob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts