Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Guys...

I have had a new experience this weekend. While riding the rear axles both slipped away from the differential housing. The left side came almost all the way off and the right side moved as well but not as much. I had about 426 pounds on the bike and we were riding across a garden row type terrain with dead logs and stumps as well. I was only traveling at about 4mph under very little power when I felt a slight jolt in the frame of the bike. Never having anything like this happen before, I just ignored it. Two seconds after when I had to power over the next log, only one rear wheel spun. Getting off the bike and walking around the rear to my horror I see the axles slid out and oil leaking out of the left side of the differential!!!! The left one was crooked and way out. I had no idea what to do, so I rolled the bike a little in neutral and tried to reset them with my hands. To my surprise after some severe coaxing they both locked back in place with a very positive sounding click. The oil stopped leaking and they have stayed in the bike... I am seriously perplexed. Any of ya'll ever had this happen??

·
Registered
41 Posts
From what I have heard and read this is a problem with the Grizzly's before 04. I have heard lots of stories of the axles just popping right out.

Sailorman3

·
Registered
10 Posts
Try losing some weight!!! I don't know, maybe try going around the log next time. haha

·
Registered
41 Posts
On another fourm that I go on it has alot of stuff about the axles popping out. The link is www.highlfter.com .Give it a look.

Sailorman3

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
This is the first I've heard of this. I removed one of my front axles to replace the CV boot and it took quite a bit of work to get it out. Then it went back in with a very firm POP and all have been fine since...

Rob

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes mine has done that before and got mud and water in the rear diff

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Southarkgriz,

What did you do to fix the problem or prevent it from happening again. I would like to know so that it does not happen again and really tear something up. It was only because i was going so slow at the time that it did not tear anything up already. I have them both back in at this time and they are fine, but so were they before they took a notion to pop out. This is really humiliating when you are riding with other "big" bikes that your friends are on. Man do they laugh hard. I am really interested in a prevention solution if you have one.

thanks for your help...

·
Registered
41 Posts
It is a clip problem at the end of the axle. You either need new clips or bend the ones you have so they will stay in.

Sailorman3

·
Registered
7 Posts
TANGRIZ

I just snapped it back in place and when it when to the shop to replace the rear end the shop hand put a new clip on the axle.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts