Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think is the neccessary free mods and aftermarket parts to do and buy?

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Well IMO some good full coverage aluminum skid plates is one of the first mods I do, never can tell what I will be riding over so I like to have good protection. Other than tires and a good winch are usally mine. Any thing after that all depends on what kind of riding you do box, windsheild, gas packs.

Mike

·
Registered
462 Posts
decent aftermarket bumper wouldnt hurt either,,,th stocker sux

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
reverse rev-limiter override is one free mod i would do, and overfenders if you drive in any mud

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
override the starter-shifter; no more holding the brakes to start and switch ranges. If anyone but you rides this machine don't do this it could be a safty issue.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Disable the feature that restricts you from shifting unless you have the brake applied.

Disable the feature that restricts you from starting in gear unless the left handbrake leaver is depressed.

Apply dielectric grease to all wire connections that you can find, being sure to get the front diff connections and the sparkplug cap.

Those first two are freebe's now the most critical one that will cost, I have mentioned many times before on this site and that is install a Pro Design adapter in your airbox so that you and buy and use a filter that attaches to the adapter via a clamp. You can also do this modification for less money than the Pro Design adapter by finding a flanged 3" adapter at your local hardware store then installing it inside your airbox.

Then as Xtremegrizz mentioned a winch is pretty much a necessity. Hopefully you do not need it but if you ever do get in a situation where it is needed it pays off on the first use.

·
Registered
462 Posts
i dont understand why the first 2 are important,i apply the brake in both instances out of habit,and i dont see any gain from disabling them

·
Registered
339 Posts
I just find it much more convienent to have those two "safety" features removed. There have been a few instances where being able to shift without applying the brakes have helped me keep the machine right side up. If you have other people riding or young kids playing on your machine then it is best to leave the starting with brake applied active. I found that in time it took more brake pressure to start the machine, seemd like dirt or moisture maybe gets into the switch. Myself I would disable them again right away on a new machine.

·
Registered
462 Posts
ahh i see,,,but on your bike you dont have to wait until the engine revs down before you shift?

·
Registered
339 Posts
The only time I have ever tried to go into gear with the engine at a high rev is at startup with the choke still applied and it would lurch forward. If I don't want to wait until it warms up I make sure I am in gear before I start it. Not warming up isn't a good practice and generally I give a good warm up but there have been a couple of times when I didn't have paitence!

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I don't mind the safety features as far as shifting and starting goes. I see the need for the reverse rev limiter as far as the manufacturer goes. I had a 01 Raptor that came stock with no reverse rev limiter. One time I backed out of the garage at about 40 mph and ended up in a ball under the deck. In 02 they put the limiter on the Raptor.
I think Yamaha actually made it so you could by-pass the limiter fairly easily.

·
Registered
339 Posts
How many of you have added an inline fuel filter? I use one.

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
I reckon the winch is a big one, especially if you ride alone. Decent tyres, the inline fuel filter is a good one (thanks DKNARND) rev limiter over ride.........

Oh crap there all good, just load it up :)

Cheers Noel

1 - 13 of 13 Posts