Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was on my second stock bumper and then that one got all bent up. So I decided that was enough. For what I spent on the second bumper I could have built my own for alot less. So I got some 1" square tubing 3/8" wall. With my tube bender I copied the stock for the most part. The only thing I'm going to change is the head light protectors. After doing them I think they go up at to much of an angle so I'll cut those off and just come straight out then back down at an angle.

This thing is very solid. I uses 3/8" wall diamond plate for a new skid plate under the front diff. And then added 1/4" wall plate to protect the lower control arms better.

If I get bored and build another one, I'll go with 1 1/2" square tubing.

I've already drilled out holes for my PIAA lights that I run during the winter for pushing snow.

Later

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
angle

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rack mount

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
side

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Skid Plate

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Nice work Mate,

How long did that take you, I was toying with the idea of making 1 myself?

Cheers Noel

·
Registered
78 Posts
Man you need to lose those angle irons underneath.....those are going to catch on something and pitch you right over the handle bars.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually they do me good then not. I put them on there after it was made. I noticed that when crawling over larger objects that I was getting a lot of scratches on the lower mount to the frame so I added those. I haven't had any probelms with them. If I do then I change the layout.

The whole thing took me the weekend, I'd say about 5 hours of work total. took my time. I will be cutting off the sides and redoing those. I really cant stand how that turned out. I'll make them come out striaght.

Other then that its great, when making new trails in the timber and having to push over small trees I dont have to worry about bending my bumper anymore.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Iowa, do you not use CV boot protectors? I can't see any in your pictures?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
at the time of the picture I didn't have any. They had been ripped off on the last ride and was waiting to get more. It wasn't till yesterday actually I went down and ordered some. It only took me till I ripped a CV boot to get my butt in gear! :)

So I bought a Moose CV Boot Kit and four new CV covers for all the way around.

And the bumper did have paint, just riding through the timber twice in the weeds kind of took that off, then sitting in the rain the surface rust starts to apear. When I get around to changing the bumper and finally happy with it I'll take it off and get it powder coated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts