Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a new grizzly 3 weeks ago. After riding on some trails {not like in the parking lot at the dealers} I have found my new machine makes a clunking sound. The noise comes from play in the driveshafts/subtransmission. When hitting obstacles or when the rear brakes are used a clunk is heard. I believe the slack in the drivetrain is causing this. I took it back to the dealer and they said it was normal for this machine. I'm not convinced it should do this. What do your machines do? If this is normal I can live with it, but if not I want my ride fixed before the warranty expires. Any input would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
With out hearing it i am guessing it is the same noise that i heard when i first got my grizz back in Feb. It is the rear brake caliper and rotor that makes this sound, it doesn't do it all the time, only in certain situations. If you are somewhat mechanically inclined, just check things back there and see if everything looks ok? If it does then just ride it. If your dealer has been around for a while and is good then i would have to say trust him? You will get use to it and once you do you won't even notice it much any more? All quads have there little quirks and i guess this is one for the grizzly? Congrats and Enjoy your new quad.......Irv

·
Registered
50 Posts
hey dirt.

i have an 03 model and i have the same noise as you describing. nothing has happened to my griz. i agree with you as to where it is coming from, and mine happens in the same situation as yours does. i haven't touched anything and everything is still okay.

bobby

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
it is normal,,, the rear disc is on the back driveshaft,,,, therefore when the brake is applied you are going to hear the slack in the ring and pinion,,, I have also found that when going down a steep hill that if you will put it in four wheel drive it will work a lot better,,, the enging braking is improved and it wont lock up and start sliding like it does with just two wheel drive,,,,, good luck withe the new grizz,,,,,, ,,,,, ,,,, cg

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Hey dirtmonkey660, congratulations on your new Grizzly. That sound is normal, its the auto braking on the driveshaft disc brake. Very Normal, nothing to worry about!!

Go Ride and enjoy your new Grizz!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
my new 05 has the same sound. it drives me nuts. you would think they could find a fix for it.

·
Registered
462 Posts
that noise got me too when i first got it,kinda freaked me out,barely notice it anymore

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey I just picked my new grizz up in Aug. Love the machine but I here the same thing. Also was told the same thing by the dealer. After reading what you all have to say it must be normal. Thanks all. Any one now where to purchase Grizz decals or t- shirts?

·
Registered
462 Posts
fella sells Grizz bal caps on ebay,,,,there's also some nice Grizz decals there too

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Congrats on the new Grizz Bhunter650, i have the exact same bike and love it! I purchased mine back in Feb and have about 650 KM's on it so far. I have had zero problems and the quad still impresses me everytime i go for a ride. I have some pics posted some where in this forum? Or you can see them under the members heading at the top of the page. Enjoy the Grizz, i know i am.......Irv

·
Registered
8 Posts
here is an expanation i was given re the clunking sound

The "clattering" sound that you hear when you apply the rear brakes is a
normal side affect of the drivetrain design. It is the gear lash between the
rear diff and the front diff. Since the front drive cannot be disengaged,
the drive shafts at both ends flex slightly and momentarily store some of
that rebounding enrgy like a spring. As that energy is released it transfers
to the driveshaft at opposite end and the unloaded gears clatter.

The whole oscillation starts because the rear braqke is on the driveshaft
itself and there is nothing in the system to buffer all that energy as you
stop. The clattering only happens when stopping with the rear brakes.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Transcoco,,,,do you know where Chignik is?

i spent a few years up there a long time ago as the camp carpenter working for ADF

have alot of good memories from that time,,,,best fishing ive ever done

got a job to go up there and over haul the Dam up in the mountains,and they offered me a job after it was done to do a pier job,and build the catwalks around the tank farm,,,i grabbed it just for the fish'n,,,ended up staying there for almost 3 years,lol

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I have 2 Grizzlies and they both do it. If you really want to hear it, ride your Griz around a motocross track. I hear it the most when braking down hill and going across the whoops.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts