Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You wont believe how my first ride went. I was headed out for a quick ride when it happened. So I'm loaded up and headed down the highway and I just started into a straight stretch and heard a real loud bang. I looked in my mirror to see my Grizzly go off the back end of my pickup at 40mph. I couldn't believe what was happening. My guts instantly felt empty. The Griz bounced up and down about three times before it had all fours wheels on the ground at once. To my complete amazement it started down the highway in a perfectly straight line behind me. In fact I had to hit the gas because it was just about rear end me. I pulled off to the side of the road and it rolled up beside me and stopped without a scratch. Unbelievable. Not exactly how I pictured my first trip on the quad going. Had it happened 10 seconds earlier in the curves it would have been in the lake right now. After a thorough inspection I loaded back up and made it safely to the trails and had agreat time breaking my new Grizz in properly.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
welcome mr. was it in park if so what damage happend to the gears got any tread left

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Yes Man, tie downs!! You got lucky this time! Congrats and welcome to the site. Lots of good education can be had here.........Irv

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Wow, what a way to start!

Welcome to the site!

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
HOLY CRAP,

YoU are one lucky puppy mate.

Glad it came good in the end and welcome to the site.

Cheers Noel

P.S. TIE DOWNS I ALWAYS USE THEM

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I had a dog like that. First time I took it for a ride in the back of the truck it baild out after a bird. It hit the tall grass in the ditch, rolled a couple times then came walking out with a WTF look on her face. She never jumped out of the truck again. Hopefully your Grizzly learned its lesson.

·
Registered
162 Posts
good story starky..same thing happened to my chocolate lab ..she lays down and dont get up until we stop...

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Welcome to the site mrimike and you must be one lucky man, but then again with a name like mike how could you go wrong...lol

Mike

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
hay X what about (BOB) get-r-done

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
hay X what about (BOB) get-r-done

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
its 5:55 am here in mass and this comp or site is acting funky.sorry about the double

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
LOL BOB will work also :)

That is why I stay off the computer when I get up in the morn way to earily to know what im doing, 1 shift I work and end up getting up at 1 am. Hate to see how many messed up posts I would get..lol ;)

Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I normally use 4 tie downs, 2 from the front and two from the back. But this thing sits so high in the back with 26"xtr's the front bumper is only about 2 inches from the back window. So, I only used 2 to hold it against the tailgate. Also in my moronic quest to get out there as fast as possible I left it in neutral. Which actually turned out to be a good thing when it hit the road running. I need a trailer. I think the tailgate must not have gotten fully latched. Needless to say i will probably have the most secure atv ever going down the road.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I do the same thing. Close the tail gate and run the strap fro0m that cross bar on the back of the Griz down to the trailer hitch. I should always put a strap on the front too, but I don't. Guess I've been lucky so far. I think I'll change my ways. I do remember to put it in park though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It sounds like your grizzly likes its new owner, after all it jumped out BUT it did also try to follow you home!! This reminds me of a guy I new who never tied down his jet ski that he always hauled in the back of his picked up with the tailgate down! It only took once before he started tieing it down, BUT his jet ski didn't come out on scathed like your grizz did!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
A coworker's brother was trailering his Quad when apparently the tiedowns loosened and off it went while traveling at 55mph. The quad didn't roll over or get a scratch on it..........until it went down the ditch and hit a telephone pole. Talk about bad luck!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Man you are lucky, If you can't close the tailgate with the griz back there, You might want to get a Louisiana Guard dog to secure it in the truck. They work great and are very secure. Check out Cabelas and Highlifter for they sell them. I hade one when I use to put my griz in the bed of my siverado and never had a problem. Sold the siverado and have a avalanche so I trailer the griz know. I use the Trailer guard dog to hold in place on the trailer and it holds great also. You might want to check it out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts