Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, There are some pics of the new Grizzly I purchased yesterday. They are on my profile. I'm looking forward to riding this great machine, I've heard alot of good things from everyone here at this site, about this bike. Thats one thing that helped me choose this bike. Also what type of skid plates should I buy? Any one that can help, I would be greatful...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Nice bike! I think it really needs some OEM silver wheels though. I would probably trade you straight up for my wheels and take the black ones off your hands. I'm that kind of a guy! Did you keep the old quad?

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Nice quad Firelab. The camo plastic is really growing on me. Next year when I buy the new 800 twin Grizz (I'm praying) it will be camo. I have the E-bay aluminum skidplates but I wouldn't have bought them if I had realized how thin they were. Yamaha's own aluminum plates are nice but very pricey ($650can). I'll be making custom puckboard skidplates soon.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I forked out the money for the Yamaha plates Firelab, all six pieces were $360 but they are very well made (5/16 thick) and inlude the Grizzly logo engraved on the front and rear A arm covers. they fit perfectly and look awesome, Im very happy with them.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Nice looking quad Firelab, I am still using my stock skid plates and surpriseingly(spelling?) they are holding up very well. I guess it all depends on the type of riding you plan on doing? Check out armadillo skid plates, this place sells them www.atvtires.com Some guys use them and like them, and they are not expensive..........Irv

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No Black 954, I hated to, but I sold the old quad. I had a guy make a offer I could not refuse. It was really a **** good bike. Do u know much about the Ricochet skid plates?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Nice Griz Firelab, I have a set of Highlifter skidplates with the servo protector. They are well built and are a little high on price but well worth it. ($703) for complete set.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I let my wife ride mine when it was new then I had to go buy another one because she wouldn't get off of it.
For $700 bucks you can buy tires and wheels and a Pro Design air filter and flange, two things that are MUST have items.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Starky, What kinda tires are you recommending, and where can I buy them at? And is that air filter and flange really worth it? Will it hurt my stock grizzly?

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
The stock Grizzly tires are only 4 ply and add a lot to the instability of the stock machine. There are a ton of tires to choose from, but what you want is a 6 ply tire. After that it goes by the type of riding you do, what catches your eye and your price range. I did a lot of research before I bought mine and I chose the Dirt Devils because they are a good wearing tire, they have excelant traction in mud and soft dirt and they are a good smooth trail tire not to mention that they are one of the cheaper tires on the market. If you buy aftermarket wheels the off-set will give you a little wider stance which will make the machine more stable when cornering or on tricky side hill situations. Again, there are a lot of wheels to choose from and the price for a particular wheel can vary depending on where you buy them. You have to shop.
The stock air filter is very poorly designed. It allows dust to go between the filter and the air box. With the Pro Design set-up, you bolt an aluminum flange to your air box then you can put either a foam or K&N filter on that securley mounts to the flange and it won't allow dirt to get to your motor. Also, by puting an aftermarket air filter on you will be increasing your airflow which makes your motor run a little more efficiently. Later on if you want to add an aftermarket pipe you will get the most out of your stock motor but you will probably have to re-jet the carberator.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
The easiest way to shop for tires and wheels is to do a Google search for "ATV Tires and Wheels". You'll get a couple hundred thousand web sites to look at.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Welcome Brother,Nice quad.you are going love it. Now the fun begins.Shopping for all the great accessories you "need" for it.At least that's what I tell My wife.Tires will vastly improve the stability of the bike.I see your a diver as well. If you plan on using your scuba gear while riding you might consider installing some snorkels on the griz!!!Enjoy! Rod

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys for all the info. I will be getting some tires soon, I'll have to post the pics. Thanks again....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts