Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been awhile since I've been here so I wanted to share some things I've done to my griz. Check out my front rack as well as the headlight mounted in the wind fairing. I raised the rack so I could slip in a fuel cell. The reason I did this was because last year I went up North and everyone including me was having problems running low on fuel. We were starting at around 9:00 am and riding all day. This releived my prob and it didn't take away any storage space up front as you can still utilize the space on the rack. I also added a lift kit I got off of ebay which beefs up the front end to take the extra weight. The headlight on the fairing is also a must especially driving around at night in the woods. The only thing I didn't like about the Griz was the fact it didn't have a turning light. The fairing is the factory yamaha and I used a dremel to cut the hole. I made a custom mount behind light so it wouldn't move. The light costed 20.00 at walmart. I also just bought an Avalanche and everyone told me the griz wouldn't fit. Its a little tight but it goes. All you have to do is bungy the front fenders in to clear and take the bungys off when its loaded. Also here's a quick link to my hunting group with other photos and vids of our quad trips. http://www.putfile.com/bigwoods Check out the endo classic vid. Suzuki Vinson endos over a little hill. I told him he needs atving for dummies. Anyways glad to be back, Check my profile to see the pics. PS: The red truck at putfile is mine. My Griz flew out of the truck, flipped down a ravine around 75 feet. Landed on all four wheels and no damage. Truck was totalled with frame damage and tweaked box.
Take care
Johnny

·
Registered
141 Posts
how did you raise the rack?i like that idea and would like to do the same.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First of all you need to take out one bolt from the rear mounting point of the front rack and one from the point where it mounts to the fender. You need to get bolts with the same thread size exactly 2" longer than the factory ones. You'll also need to pick up four 2" spacers. The front bolts don't have to be changed. As far as the front mount goes you'll some 7/8" by 1/8" by 30” long flat stock. You will also need one piece of flat 3/4" by 1/8" by 15" long for the two front vertical supports. Step 1: Remove the existing front rack and grind off the front mounting tabs on the rack, as they won't be needed. Stop here if you don’t want to modify your rack, as this is permanent. (The tabs must go because they will be in the way of the fuel cell from sitting flush under the rack). Cut two pieces of the flat stock the same length to fit across the existing front mounting holes. (See attached picture) Weld the two pieces together to make one piece of angle. (Again see picture) I did it this way because it was the only small flat stock steel I had at hand. The size of the steel needs to be exactly what I used because the tank fits perfectly with these dimensions and the angle also acts as a front support for the fuel cell. (Again see pic) You may be able to find a piece of angle steel at your local steel supplier. It would have to be 7/8" by 1/8" angle, which I don't think you'll find. Step 2: Line up and center the angle piece of steel to the existing front mounts and drill two holes slightly bigger than the bolts for the angle. Bolt up the angle to the existing front mounting holes using the factory bolts. Step 3: Install the rack with the new spacers and hardware. Once that is done, you'll need to put a 90 degree angle on the end of two 7" pieces of the 3/4" by 1/8" flat stock. I actually started with some longer pieces which make it easier to bend the 90’s and trimmed off of both ends until it was a good fit and they both matched. The best way is to put it in a vice and use a torch. I usually bend the steel with my hands or over my knee. At this point you should insert the fuel cell in place for mock up purposes for the next step. Cut, trim and fit the front vertical mounts until it is a satisfactory fit and the fuel cell slips in and out with somewhat ease. It may rub the front fender a hair just slighty push down on the fender and it clears. At this point you need to weld the front mounts in place. Don't forget to cover all exposed plastic before you weld and remove the fuel cell as well as you don't want to melt it. I actually tack welded mine with the fuel cell in place. I just used a wet rag around where I was welding. I would not recommend this though as you can burn thru the plastic tank in a matter of seconds. If you don’t weld, you can probably get all the pieces fit and go down to your local welding shop or use a favor from a friend. I've been welding along time so it was easy for me. I attached some close up shots of the mounting. That should help you out. If this is to advanced just print the pictures and instructions and give them to a welder and I'm sure he can do it.
Take care
Johnny

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is another picture showing the rack with the spacers.

Johnny

·
Registered
141 Posts
thanks Johnny!!that may be a good project for me.i like that!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts