Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I just bought a new 06 Grizz and love it. Put on about 70kms and has continued to impress me. I used to be part of a Yamaha motorcycle message board and found the info very helpfull, I hope to get the same here....

So I have a couple questions, 1) i'm thinking of updating my tires and I'm unsure of the size ... should I go 26 or stick with 25 muds, those of you running 26, does it change the power/clutch significantly? And for the front tires, do I go narrow or wide? I

2) When I first start the bike when cold, it makes a loud deep clunking sound for about 10 seconds before it starts warming up, is this normal?

3) exhaust tips from ebay, should I or shouldnt I? Do I have to rejet? I'm at 1300ft elevation.

THanks a lot guys ... hope to be an active member!

Craig
Sudbury, Canada.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi craig i have a 2006 grizz too run 26 mud lites everything runs well , also have 1999 grizzly with 27 inch mud lites but wider in front & rear more vibration on bike i would suggest same same width has whats on there less vibration in handlebars

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
craigmpak, Wlecolme to the site,

As for my reply, my input would be stay with 25" unless you are planing to buy a clutch kit! also if you go wide in front, it will be **** to steer! might be OK for mud, but it would be a nightmare on a trail!

2 The clunk is normal, don't worry. welcome to the grizzly!

3 Exhaust tip is great, you dont need to rejet, the grizz is very rich to start with. However if you upgrade the air filter and put a performance pipe on, then you must rejet. Take a look at old posts of drilling the baffles too!!

Enjoy your Griz and Enjoy the site!

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
weclome to the site,, clunk is normal,,,, I started to name my grizz after my ex wife,, they both sounded the same when they first started,,, but the grizz is much better so gave up on that ideal,,,,,,, ,,,,, ,,,, cg

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Welcome Craig and 99 to the site and the Grizzly family, lots of great people and info on here. I am currently running 27" ITP 589's and I did notice a power decrease but not a whole lot, I put on a Twin-Air filter and Flange as well as a power tip(e-bay) and I believe I got most of my power back if not all? I didn't rejet either but I plan on buying the Dyno-jet kit and changing my needle setting just to get the most out of the grizz. They come from the factory set pretty tame for every day riders but the grizz has a lot of untapped potential with a few minor tweaks and mods.

The 26" tires will not rob your quad of a lot of power, it is when you get the 27's and bigger that a clutch kit is needed if you want? I don't have a clutch kit yet but I hope to soon but like I said I think I got most of my lost pwer back anyways? Like Beast said unless you are strictly muddding then stick with a narrower front tire, mine are 27-9-12 front and 27-11-12 rears and I am quite happy with those although I mostly trail ride. The extra height is nice too and I think I would purchase 27" tires again. Anyways if you have any more qustions, fire away, lots of guys/gals willing to help out......Irv

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey thanks a lot guys, appreciate all the comments. I see there's 2 or 3 different auctions as far as the exhaust tips ... i guess any one of them would do, right? As long as the grizz runs a little rich, that's fine, I just don't feel like rejetting anything yet.

I had another question I forgot to ask, gas mileage. Is this thing always gonna be a pig on gas? lol.

Craig

I tried searching for the baffle removal thread but the search is offline. :(

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
welcome graig.lots of great people on here. im sure some one will chime in on the drilling of the pipe .i know what to do but not the amount of holes for your sound pref, good luck and dont mind the okies here. bob m

·
Registered
12 Posts
i did my own pipe mod.took the screen off(intact) and cut the small inner pipe back the exit side,welded the seam and tack welded the screen back on.now it doesnt have that sputtering sound,more deeper and it was free.but i wasnt looking for more ponies just a different sound.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
If you drive a lot in 4x4, the she's going to drink lots of gas.
Try riding in 2WD when you can, and only change into 4WD when you really need it, and you should double the distance you get on a tank!!

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Most of my riding is in 2wd ... I'm just comparing my Yammy to a Vinson 500 ... I used about 60% more fuel on a Saturday run and we both drove about the same. No biggie though, I could smoke him in a drag race riding 2 up anyways! I'll take the power any day.

Craig

·
Registered
141 Posts
Welcome!enjoy that grizz.i love mine!!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
You should average about 100km's or more per tank full? You can't go by the Grizzly gas gauge though, it is not accurate at all, it will read you are low but take a look in side the tank and you will see that you still have lots of gas left..........Irv

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Actual size of tires may very depending on the brand you buy. Some 26" tires are actually closer to 25". I bought the 26" because the Dirt Devil came with a deeper lug on the 26 than the 25. If you get a true 26" tire there will be a slight power loss. Nothing you can't live without but you may find yourself using low range more than if you had 25s. A clutch kit will bring that power back. If you decide to open the motor up and install an airfilter, pipe and re-jet you will definately want the clutch kit with the 26" and up tires. If not, you will be wasting all that extra power in smoking belts.
Guys are getting good results with the exhaust tips and drilling out the baffels. I didn't want to mess with my stock pipe so I went with the slip on pipe.
A tapping noise when you first start it is ok if it goes away after a second or two. Also, klunking while braking down hill or going over bumps is normal too.
My F-250 gets better gas milage pulling a horse trailer into a stiff wind than the Grizzly when using 4x4, but the fun factor is worth it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts