Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just put on a new set of tires, kenda bearclaws (K299) with 27-10-12 on the front and 27-12-12 on the back.
Now I noticed that the back tire is a lot taller then the front tire in diameter, so their must be some friction on the drive train cause the front tire makes more turns then the backwhen driving. Is this doing any harm to the drive train?

regards,
Ardman

·
Registered
289 Posts
Will only be a problem in 4 wheel drive and worse in diff lock if you are on hard pack or tarmac, then it will surely put a bind on things, but you wont need 4wd in those situations. In the slop there will be some bind but you wont notice it as the tires will slip some to help lessen this as you ride.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Aren't the front always a "little" smaller. Maybe it just looks that way. BTW ardman, it looks great and your Grizz is my favorite color. Wish they had that when i bought mine.

·
Registered
462 Posts
there wont be any bind,,,,i have the same exact tires,in the same exact sizes

as long as your front Diff,and rear Diff are geared the same your not gonna bind

besides,i think its an "optical allusion",,,,the first # 27 is for height,,,,second # 10,or 12 (in your case) is the width,,,,,the third # 12 is the rim size,,,,27-10-12,,,27-12-12

your OK

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Congrats on the tires Ardman, my in-law just put 26"s on his popo and he loves them. He said they hooked up awesome in the snow on Saturday. I just got to decide if i should get the 26's or 27's? Did you notice any power loss with the new tires? Are you happy with them?.........Irv

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well thanks for all your replys.... It isn't an optiocal illusion, I'll post some pictures later on with the measurements. I love the tires, tons of grip compared to the stok tires. Due to the ITP rims the stand is mutch wider witch gifs a lot less tippy feeling. I do notice a loss of power but it is only at the top end witch can probebly be solved with a clutch kit.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Your top end should be faster theoretically. It should be the low end off the line power that has changed and thats what the clutch kit will fix.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was able to work it down to about 2cm difference between front and rear by letting out some air from the back tires. rear is now at 5psi and the front is at 6 psi. Stil i think it's od do. I wrote a message to Kenda, if they reply i'll let you guys know.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Thanks for the info ardman, I will check my Bro in-laws this week-end and see what his are like? Maybe HooPharted could check his if he has them installed? I am sure there is probably slight differences in all tires especially going from 27-10-12 to a 27-12-12? With the extra width of the rear tire, it would be able to rise higher in the middle compared to the 10" front tire? Let us know what Kenda says........Irv

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is the reply from Kenda. I will take new measurements and pictures tonight and mail them to Kenda.

I'll keep you posted....

Mr. van den Berg,

The actual specs on the tire are 25.5 inch diameter for the 27x10-12, and 25.8 inch diameter for the 27x12-12, so although they are an undersized tire, they should be almost identical in height. If you are experiencing a large difference in the two tires, one set me be undersized/oversized. What psi are you running the tire at? Also, can you tell me the diameter measurement of your front and rear tires.

Once I hear back from you, I'll send this information to R&D and see if I can get you a more detailed answer. If there is a problem with the tire(s) being over/under sized, we may be able to warranty them for you.

Have a good day,
Laura

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the answer from kenda today, nothing to worry about the say.

Thanks for all your help guys...

The e-mail from Kenda>>>>

Hi Ard,

Below is the response I rec'd from R&D:

If he is worried about damaging his drive train, I would say the difference in the heights front to back should have no effect on that. We have run tires with this much height difference before and have had no problems.

Have a good day,

Kenda USA
Motorcycle/ATV Dept.
Phone (614) 866-9803
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.kendausa.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, November 30, 2005 11:41 AM
To: Laura Hunter
Subject: RE: Tire Question

Laure,

I did measure tires and in the attachements there are some pictures off how I did it.
The fronttire is at 6psi and measures 63.5cm, 25inch
The reartire is at 5psi and measures 65.5cm, 25,8inch
I'm know expert on this, I'm just worried to damage my drivetrain, so please tell me if this ok.

Kind regards,

Ard

Sent: Tue 11/29/2005 10:02 PM
To: Ard van den Berg
Subject: RE: Tire Question

Mr. van den Berg,

The actual specs on the tire are 25.5 inch diameter for the 27x10-12,
and 25.8 inch diameter for the 27x12-12, so although they are an
undersized tire, they should be almost identical in height. If you are
experiencing a large difference in the two tires, one set me be
undersized/oversized. What psi are you running the tire at? Also, can
you tell me the diameter measurement of your front and rear tires.

Once I hear back from you, I'll send this information to R&D and see if
I can get you a more detailed answer. If there is a problem with the
tire(s) being over/under sized, we may be able to warranty them for you.

Have a good day,
Laura

Laura Hunter
American Kenda Rubber
Motorcycle/ATV Dept.
ph: 614-866-9803 ext.226
fax: 614-866-9805

Sent: Monday, November 28, 2005 1:06 PM
To: Motorcycle
Subject: Tire Question

Dear Kenda,

I just purchaced a new set of tires for my Yamaha Grizzly 2004.
I choose the Kenda bearclaw K299 with 27-10-12 on the front and 27-12-12
on the back.
Now I noticed that the backtire has a bigger diameter than the fronttire

so the fronttire is spining faster than the back and causing stress to
the drivetrain. How can it be that the tire size differs if their both
27?

regards,
Ard van den Berg

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Thanks for the update Ardman, that surprises me alot that the 27"inchers only measure 25.5"inches! You would think they would be alot closer to the advertised height than that? I have heard about advertised/real height differences in other tires brands, I just didn't think they were out that much? Are you still happy with them? I wonder what the true height of a 26" incher is? That is what I plan on buying soon? But maybe now I should get the 27's? Did you ever do a before measurement of the ground clearance with the stockers? I read on another site that they are a fairly heavy tire? You mentioned you had lost some power on the top end? How much are you talking about? Are you still glad you purchased them? Sorry for all the questions but these are the tires I have been wanting for some time now.....Irv

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Ardman, 6 PSI seems a little on the hard side to me, how is your ride. I think I'm running about 4.5 - 5 PSI on my Dirt Devils. If I go any higher than that I feel every pebble I run over.

When I run my tracks on the back and the wheels on the front it's like having 24" tires on the back with 26" tires on the front. I don't use 4-wheel drive unless I get into something deep, but then the tire differance shouldn't matter anyway. I don't think I would want to lock the differential unless the ground was very slick. Seems like it would be too easy to snap an axle.

Those tires and wheels look great on your machine. I really like the Type 4's.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Irv,

At Kenda.com you can find the true sizes for all the tires they make, in fact I think that all manufaturers post their tire sizes in the net. I'm very happy with the tires, tons of grip compared to the stockers. I went riding this weekend with a friend of mine how still has the stockers. (you can see the pictures at www.orph.nl/quadtime) He hat trouble following me in 4 wheel drive well I was still in 2 wheel drive, I think that says enough about the tires... You can see the true size off the dunlops at dunloptires.com.
The loss of power is only noticeable at top speed, it takes somewhat longer to get there. You can compare it with someone riding on the back, and I don't mean a grownup who's been eating mc donalds all of his live......

Starky,

6psi is endeed to much. I lowered the preassure to 4psi in the back and 5 psi in the front. It gives a verry smouth ride.

regards,
Ard

1 - 15 of 15 Posts