Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I just found this forum. Last weekend I traded my 1985 honda atc200x for a 1999 yamaha grizzly! But I'm having some problems...

The electric starter seems to stay engaged after the motor fires.

It just had a topend job and a new cdi put in to it. I need to adjust the valves a little.

It seems to have a vapor locking problem. The guy says it will run for 20 minutes or so then shut down. After the motor cools it fires right back up. Does anyone else have this problem?

Any ideas or thoughts as to what I should do. I just got a manual (cd) for it and I don't know where to begin. Thanks in advance for your replies. I'm sure I'll have ALOT more questions.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Welcome to the site cr200x.

As far as the starter sounds like you might need a new one. But maybe someone else can give some advise on it also. I know I had a starter on my car the had a bad bendix not leting it engage all the way but always shut off, not sure if these starters are the same as a car and just smalller or what, Tried taking it apart and rebulding but never worked. Athough you could just have a bad starter selnoid but not real sure on that one.

Now on too the vapor lock issue. Never really heard of it on the 600 but possible I guess. Any lights come on like the overheat light on the dash? While its running it just dies? Also is the water bolling in the rad or what. The vapor lock issue most of us have is cause of the side pannels keeping in the heat of the engine and it starts to boil the gas in the tank or fuel line. Try taking of the gas cap when it happens maybe its something simple like a plug vent line or something.

Just trying to help, hopefully others will have some ideas also :)

Mike

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome and the reply.. I was starting to think I was the only guy on this forum. OK, I wrapped the header with alot of aluminum foil (temporarily) and took it out to stretch her legs. I ran it pretty hard for about an hour and it didn't quit on me. The only problem I had was it didn't want to idle on it's own. No matter which way I adjusted the idle. I had to keep the throttle on a bit to keep it running. And that starter is really screwed up. I probably shouldn't have even drove it like that but I just couldn't resist! But I even hit some nice waterholes to see if maybe the steam off the header would cause it to quit but it didn't. So now I'm pretty much in the same place I was when I started.

Oh, a couple things yet. The side panels are off the motor already and I was told maybe to use that heat tape under the gastank to keep the gas cool. Also, Is it possible to rebuild a starter? Is it very complicated? I've never seen anything like this before with a starter. It stays on after the motor is running! I'm guessing it isn't good to be running it like that without first fixing the starter.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Sounds like for the idle issue you might just have to take the carb off and clean it out including all the jets, possible have some dirt in it somewhere. Thats all I can think of off hand.

Never had any luck rebulilding the starter on my car just could not get everything to line up right to work, finally gave up and bought a new one. Might want to check around online for prices, or even e-bay there is usally a guy that is always parting out a 660 or 600. Also not real good to be running it with the starter running but as long as it is not trying to engage and grind the gears it is not as bad..lol

Mike

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
the starter might just need taken apart and cleaned,,,,, could have a bunch of corrorision built up in the bendix part of it,,,, the brushes must be ok if it is working,,, you might even be able to take it off and loosen the cap where the bendix is and spray some wd-40 or blaster in it,,,, ,,,, ,,,, my buddy had a 83 200x three wheeler and I had a 83 250R,,,,, they were the state of the art back then,,,,,,,, by the way ,,,, welcome to the site,,,,, cg

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Welcome to the site cr200x,

I have pulled a few starters down that didn't work, I never really did much with them but most of them appreciated the strip and clean cause most of them worked when they were put back in. The biggest trick I can think of is how to hold the brushes back, they usually have small holes in the brush holder (just poke a match in there until you have the shaft fitted).

Thats all I got Mate I hope it helps.

Cheers Noel

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies guys.

Does anyone know the seller on ebay that parts out. Or a good website for cheap/ or refurbished parts?

I'm going to start tearing into in this weekend. I was waiting on a manual to arrive. These things are a heck of a lot more complicated than the ole 3 wheelers that's for sure.

Countrygrizz, A little off topic but I love talking trikes! That wheeler in the pic above was my baby. Very sad to see her go. I did a ground up restore on it for the past year and a half. Every part on that trike was either replaced or taken off cleaned and repainted. That was my second restore. Awhile back I redid an 85' honda 250sx. I bet those things could go anywhere one of these big grizzlies could go. Well enough babbling on about trikes... for now. lol

I'll update you guys on my situation shortly... So check back!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So anyone got any tips on gettin at that starter. Looks like I'm gonna have to take a few things off first.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Only thing I have for a tip is to make sure you have plenty of time...lol

Used to have a KLF200 Kawasaki three wheeler. I think that was the leters of it, no suspension though. Also had a Honda 70, 90, and a 110.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001-Yamaha-Grizzly-600-Electric-Starter_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43972QQitemZ4573100335QQrdZ1

Hope that works try copy and then past it on a new web page. Its a starter from a 2001 600 Grizz ( thought they were 660 in 01 but maybe im wrong) starting bid is at $27 and some change.

Mike

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea it's gonna be a real pain gettin in there that's for sure. Thanks for the link. I gotta find out for sure if it will work for the 99' before I bid. I guess I'll call a dealer.

I believe the Kawasaki made the KLT 200 trike??? Was it black? Hopefully I'll be getting my hand's on an 86" 200x shortly. It's in real nice shape. Not like the basketcase I had. You can find them relativily cheap and they're a ton of fun!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok then, Some of you know this kind of stuff is a bit new to me so I got another question. The blower on the back of the radiator... Is that supposed to run when I start this thing or does it only kick on at certain times. I fired it up this morning to hear if the starter is still sticking and since I have the front end all tore down I noticed this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Check out this place I found for parts. A starter for the griz is $56 cheaper than I found anywhere else.

http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_select.asp?vcc=ATVs&mfg=Yamaha&year=1999#FicheSelection

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
cr,

I don't know about the earlier models but mine is run through a thermo switch so it only comes on once the radiator reaches a certain temp.

Another tip I got off here is to shut the bike down using the kill switch, it keeps the fan going and that helps push out the hot air and helps with the vapour lock problem.

Cheers Noel

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
I do beleive like interceptor said they all run on the rad temp. Only when the water gets so hot the fan will come on, only if it is still hot will the fan come on and run when you turn the key on.

Mike

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys. Now if I only had a small 8mm socket to get in there! I'll update as soon as I get this thing off!

One more quick question. I still don't have the manual but is it an oil cooler or a radiator?

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Wow yeap think you are right on that one looks like oil cooler especially since I went back and looked at you other pic where you can see the head that has cooling fins on it. Would say oil cooler.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Yea, it looks like your quad is air cooled and that is an oil cooler. I don't see any rad cap to take off to have a look? Judging by the looks of those lines going out the bottom, they look like a high pressure hoses to me?....Irv

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yea, I believe it is. Ok this is very weird. After I start the motor I can hear the starter spining in there. When the engine rpm's go down that's when the starter grinds. WTF???

I also found out today that the part numbers for the 99' grizzly starters are the same numbers as on the 01' model. Just some useful info to remember...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts