Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have gone for 2 decent rides since I switched from Amsoil back to Yamalube and so far I haven't burnt/used any? Maybe I switched to Synthetic too soon? Who knows? Just thought I would share my findings with everyone. I am using the Yamalube 5W-30 cold weather formula 4-CW. It says "Extra amounts of synthetic anti-wear additives provide greater protection during cold starts when the majority of engine wear occurs" I hope this is a good sign and my consumption has stopped? I will continue to use this oil as it is cheaper than the Amsoil anyways........Irv

·
Registered
339 Posts
That's good to hear, keep us posted on this.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Good news, I am going to trey the yamalube also to see if it makes a difference also.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will keep you posted guys, but so far so good! Not knocking Amsoil but I have never had good luck running their engine oil? My truck burnt it like crazy, switched to Mobil-1 synthetic and it stopped? My sled, I ran a jug of injector 2 stroke through it and it burnt it up at twice the normal speed? I switched back to Produmax and Shell and it still consumes it like crazy though? I don't know what it did but it has never been the same since. I still use their gear oil and grease and have had good luck with those but I think Mobil-1 is probably just as good if not better?. Take care.......Irv

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am happy so far with shell rotella t 15w-40 regular oil for now. When my engine goes past the 1000 mile mark I plan on switching to their rotella t synthetic 5w-40, have some friends in town here who have used it in avt's and regular street motorcycles and are happy with it. It is half the price of Yamalube in my area and is good quality oil. Most waited to switch till the bikes had some miles on them. I wonder if that is necessary since my boys Polaris Predator came from the factory with synthetic in it!? I am only using a few tablespoons of oil between changes, which is almost nothing!

The machine came with Yamalube of course. I have not tried mobil 1 or amsoil so can't comment on them. Hope this helps some.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Irv,

Hey man, maybe you should remove this from your signature: "Amsoil everywhere"

I will try Yamalube 20W-40 in this desert heat then change to 5w-30 when I plow snow in Colorado. I might try the Yamalube 4-R 10W-50 racing oil, which is Semi-synthetic.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks ATVrk, I guess I had better change that. The Yamalube I am running has synthetic additives so I think I am getting the benefits of synthetic with out the oil consumption. I will keep you posted if anything changes. I wish I could get the Mobil-1 motorcycle oil or the Rotella T, After I switched from Amsoil to Mobil-1 in my old truck the consumption stopped than as well?...Irv

·
Registered
339 Posts
Man that is really strange. Here I am using the Amsoil for over two years now and I don't use any oil at all. Yet I have heard the same problem as Irv had is not uncommon.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am using the yamalube 10w-30 over 2 years now. The machine does consume a little bit of oil. But it is not synthetic. Does the same brand has the same specs of oil in synthetic ? Can we use the synthetic type in our grizzlys since the same engine oil lubricates the clutch ?
Why Yamaha didn't mention it in the manual ?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Elie,

From what I understand any oil that isn't energy conserving is ok to use. Energy conserving has additives that cause wet clutches to start slipping. Yamaha leans toward straight mineral oil but many folks use synthetic with no ill effects. The factories, Yamaha, Polaris etc.. make it sound like if you don't use their "special" oil the engine will bolw up or you will void your warranty (Polaris). This is bunk of the worst order! Their oil is good but not the only option out there. Many of the guys in this forum are running all sorts of brands both synthetic and regular with good effect. Pick one, if it works just keep up with the change intervals and top off when needed and all should be well!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Elie,

From what I understand any oil that isn't energy conserving is ok to use. Energy conserving has additives that cause wet clutches to start slipping. Yamaha leans toward straight mineral oil but many folks use synthetic with no ill effects. The factories, Yamaha, Polaris etc.. make it sound like if you don't use their "special" oil the engine will blow up or you will void your warranty (Polaris). This is bunk of the worst order! Their oil is good but not the only option out there. Many of the guys in this forum are running all sorts of brands both synthetic and regular both more expensive and some cheaper with good effect. Pick one, if it works just keep up with the change intervals and top off when needed and all should be well!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
New update guys, My Father and I went for another decent ride today and I was rather hard on the gas, lots of hill climbing and some wide open throttle. I did this on purpose to get the grizz good and hot and give it every opportunity to consume some oil but after I washed it up and let it sit for about 15 minutes I checked the oil and it was bang on again. I think that I have quit consuming oil for good? Maybe the Amsoil was to thin? Maybe it wasn't broken in yet? Maybe lots of things I guess but I know if I was still running the Amsoil I would have probably added a half litre or more by now. I hope it stays like this and if it does I will continue to use the Yamalube, I just purchased some 20w-40 for the next oil change when the weather warms up. I will keep you posted if anything changes........Irv

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another hard ride again today, actually it was more like a sport quad ride! I hooked up with my old dirt biking buddy and uhh, well, we thought of the old days and I guess we were caught up in the moment and still thought we were on dirt bikes! I have never ridden the grizz as hard or as fast as I did today! What a hoot, we did about the fastest fifty miles I think anybody could do on a utility quad. The conditions were awsome, no dust, a bit of mud and some good old loamy black Canadian earth. Excellent ride, I am more excited than Tom Cruise was on Oprah! Anyways, checked my oil and it is spot on again. I think my consumption days are over?........Irv

·
Registered
93 Posts
Irv:

Good you went back to Yamalube. You know, I really don't like gimmick oil. Synthetic may be okay and I could afford to use any brand at any cost. However, I think it is best to use oil recommended by the OEM. I use Motorcraft Semi-synthetic oil recommended by Ford in my SUV and can get it at WalMart. I could use Mobil 1 or any other synthetic, but I only used about 1/2 quart of Motorcraft break-in oil in 5000 miles and that was on a new engine when you can expect some consumption.

Back in the late 70s, Arco Graphite was a gimmick oil; it ruined many engines and at least caused increased oil consumption.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts