Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought my first griz two weeks ago. First thing off, I ordered my service manual and got all the fluids on hand to do a full service job on it. Also could see I needed front brake pads.
So today I did the full service. The fluids didn't look good at all. It was definatly in need of some attention. Got the front brake pads changed and addressed the back brakes, which just aren't there. I pulled the rear caliper and tried to bleed the lines in case of air, which it still might be the problem as I'm not sure I got all the air out. BUT with the caliper pulled from the rotor, when I squeeze the brake handle, I can feel the pads just barely squeeze, so I know the pistons aren't froze up. So do ya think I need a new master cylinder, or could it still be air in the line, or should I change the brake fluids out, since it's the only fluid I didn't change today?
Other than that, the bike starts easy, runs good, BUT I bought it in TX. and I live at 6500'. SO I'm thinking I may need to re-jet for my altitude and I should probably check the valve clearance! The one thing I haven't done yet is pull the spark plug!! I should at least get a new one of them too, I'm sure! Don't know how that slipped through my service plan. Anything else?
Oh, and by the way, here's a pic. I no, it's too clean!! I want it to be ready to ride before I get 'er dirty!! It's an '04!! Just over 900 miles on it!

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
Does the foot brake petal work any better? The rear hand brake is cable acuated for the first couple of feet so it is possible that it just needs adjusted at the hand brake. Just guessing.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Congrats! Great looking bike TRnCO! Only 900 miles, that is practically brand new? I don't think it is a great idea to pull the brakes when they are disconnected from the rotor, the pistons are designed only to go as far as they need. That might be why they don't feel so good? I would put caliper back on and bleed them then. New brake fluid is not a bad idea, not going to hurt anything. Doing those other things is a great idea, that way you know everything is fresh. Did you flush your rad fluid? I think you may have to re-jet but check your plug first, Grizzlies come rich from the factory. What size and what kind are those tires? They look mean! ......Irv

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With the brake assembled, both the brake pedal and the brake lever feel like there is nothing there, in other words, they bottom out with little resistance! I'm thinking that I'll get some brake fluid and do a more detailed air bleed job, and see if that brings them back to life!
I didn't do a flush on the radiator. What I did do was used the tool to check the life of the radiator fluid. It shows it being good down to about -20 degrees, and it looks good in the res. Do ya think it would be needed to do a flush?
I don't really care for the tires. Not much mud in these parts. They are 28"x10"x12" Super Swamper vamps. all the way around! For now I'll live with them!

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
trnco what brand of cluch kit are you running with those vamps

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No idea if it has a clutch kit in it bobmmor. I got the ATV from a small dealer and he had taken it in on a trade, and he had no idea if it had any upgrades done to the clutch. Since this is my first griz. and I don't have anyone around me to compare to, I couldn't tell ya if it does or not. It seems to pulls hard, BUT it might pull harder with a clutch kit and tune up. In the next few weeks, I will get around to looking into the clutch housing, as well as tune up. I guess I can only hope that it gets better as I service it from top to bottom and learn just what it does and doesn't have and what it needs and doesn't need!!

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
There is adjustment inside the right wheelwell also. Look at the nut and threads on the bottom of the cylinder.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I don't think you would need to do a flush with only 900 miles, if your fluid looks good and it still tests good I would leave it.........Irv

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
trnco i would think if it has a proper c kit you should be able to get the front wheeles off the ground with no problem.if not you could be missing alot of good torck.maybe some one will chime in with other ways to tell with out having to inspect the cluch.great looking ride. bob m

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yip, I already checked that adjustment, and it didn't help me any. The more I think about it the more I think, and hope, that there is still air in the lines. I'm going to town today to get some DOT4 brake fluid and do a more comprehensive air bleed job! Not sure how the air got in the lines though!
Once I get her tuned up, I'll find out just what it can do. I've been pretty gentle with it so far!!
By the wya, I appreciate the help guys. I did a lot of research on the web before buying and this sight helped me a lot in my decision. A lot of good guys willing to share info. Thanks!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I got it! It was simply a matter of air in the system. It took me a few hours, and several res. refills to get it all out, BUT by golly, I've got brakes all the way around now. Also picked up the new spark plug today. SO I think it's ready to go for a ride, other than around my 4 acres!!
It's a good thing a guy can bleed the system by himself, or I'd be screwed!!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Way to go TRnCO, glad to hear that's all it was. How did the old brake fluid look? Was it very dirty? Did you figure out how air got in there in the first place? Now time to get out and get some dirty pictures. Ride safe.....Irv

1 - 12 of 12 Posts