Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '05 Grizzly has a very noisy front end which chatters mostly when going down hill (bumps). It seems to be better if I keep in the thottle some. I know some Grizzlys have front end chatter w/ slack in the shaft or something, but this seems more noisy than an '05 with 150 miles should be. Should I just run it and not worry, or spend some $ to have it looked at? I'm out of my 3 month warrentee I believe. Had I known how noisy the Grizzly can be I may have ended up w/ a KQ. Other than that I love it.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Not sure on the noise so far I have none on any of the two we own. Are you in 4x4 or two wheel drive? Also are you on the brakes and not just hearing the rear brake chatter that might sound like its comeing from the front?

Mike

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Bearbaiter, i just got back from the rocky north of Norland Ont. and i know what you mean, i think it is just the front caliper and brake disc that makes all that racket? I have looked under there myself and didn't see anything that needed attention. Did your quad not come with a 6 month warranty? Most new quads do. If you have any left it might be a good idea to have it checked out for piece of mind or wait and see what some others have to say? I have heard people talk about the noise before and they all said it was normal....Irv

·
Registered
50 Posts
Not sure if it's normal, but my 04 did the same thing. No problems.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Actually, it's not in the front end, it's your rear break or the shaft it's on. It's a normal trait of the Grizzly and soon you will not notice it. It's most prevelant when going down steep hills or breaking over bumps.
It's a very distinct "klunk", so if you are hearing something different in your front end, it may be something all together different.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i just bought an 04 with 1800 miles. if i stand on the rear brake i get a bad clunking sound also...the caliper, pads and rotor look fine. i guess the trick is not to lock em up.

·
Registered
119 Posts
We are trying to get out of here early to get some riding in before the rainy weekend approaches.

I'll let you know what I hear or don't hear.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Went out today for a little ride.

Yep, mine does it too when I lock up the rear brake.

Not sure why or what it is.

Like Trescocos said, if you get on the rear brake and lock em up, clunk clunk.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I've never heard what the actual cause of this sound is, but I think it comes from the drive shaft. There must be some built in play that comes into effect when you brake.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts