Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What size and style of oil filter wrench fits the best for the 2006 (or perhaps earlier years if the same size)?

Do you need one that has a socket or nut on the end or can you get a strap type one on the filter?

If you have the number of the wrench and where purchased that would be helpful.

I live in a remote area a 3-hour round trip from the nearest auto parts store or K-Mart so this information will help me with planning. Napa and WalMart are a 4-hour round trip away.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I had the same problem with Yamaha filters, they are a queer size for some reason and I found the only thing that works is a strap wrench. I have used fram filters and a number 4 or 5 filter wrech/socket type works on them. (Sorry I can't remember the exact size) Take a filter with you with you the next time you go just to be sure. I know Snap-On makes one if you want to spend that kind of money? Good Luck.........Irv

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
I know when I took off mine for the first time I just used Channel locks on it and it came off fine.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a strap wrench and had the left panel off earlier, but did not think to try it to see if there was enough access.

I read elsewhere on this forum where some had to use the old "pound the screw driver in" to remove the filter. I had to do that before on automobiles when the correct filter wrench was not available or access was limited.

Thanks for the ideas.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
atvrt i got mine at my yamaha dealer it is the type you put the socket extention in. if you cant find it let me know i can always pick one and send it to you.its short money . ($3.oo gall gas you dont want to do to many 4 hour trips unless its a beer run!!)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks bobmmor.

I will be going to town (4-hr. round trip one) soon and there is a Yamaha dealer there. I will try to purchase the filter wrench then. I am close to the 20 hour valve adjustment so I might get that done also.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just got back from a trip to town (the 3-hour one) and I was able to purchase this wrench at Auto Zone for $5.50 that fits nicely on the Grizzly oil filter:

Oil Filter "F" Cap Wrench by OEM Industrial

Part Number 25404

Fits 3/8" ratchet and extensions

Metal not plastic.

Also fits some Fram and Powerflo (by Purolator) filters

Ron

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That oil filter wrench did not work very well. It slipped when I tried to remove the filter but I got it off. It slipped again when I tried to apply the recommended torque (I torque everything) of 17 Nm (12 ft.lbs) but I got it tightened 3/4s of a turn after the gasket contacted the surface and had not leaks. I will get a wrench from the Yamaha dealer.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
I torque my oil filter to the recommended torque but that is why I get the K&N filters, they have that one inch nut on the end of the filter built into the housing.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I twist mine on until the gasket makes contact and give it about a half to one full turn and it has never leaked. Don't forget to put a little oil on the gasket first, if you don't you will have a bugger of a time getting it off. I like the K&N oil filters because of that nut, I wish others like Yamaha had that same feature..........Irv

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I purchased 4 Yamaha oil filters when I picked up my new rig. I will likely switch to K&N filters as you both suggested because of the housing nut.

Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
8 Posts
ATVrk, I pick up an oil filter remover from Walmart. They only carry two sizes at this wlly world. I looked at it and the only thing it says is "made in the usa" and a " B. " I will look the next time i'm in the store and get the number off the package for you.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
atvrk i read on a thread about the oem filters being differant than others somthing about a built in check valve and sutch.i would ask around before going with another brand my $.o2

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have had the same problem, I just picked up and oil filter wrench, strap style, made by Quaker State - Works great. All you have to do is slid it around the filter, twist it till it is snug and attach a ratchet to the end and off it came. It cost $7.00 Canadian.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was at a Yamaha dealer last week and ordered an OEM oil filter wrench
YU-38411, a bit pricey at $15.95 plus $4.50 for freight. So, if you can find a suitable substitute it would save you about $10.00 to $15.00.

Ron

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
The plastic ones from Wall Mart will break if the filter is on tight. I bought a metal one on Ebay. I paid about $9 plus shipping which was probably too much, but it would cost me $10 to go to town to buy a $5 filter wrench.
I'm still considering a stainless steele filter from Scott's but that will have to wait til I get home.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
grizzhound

Thanks for the photo.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I use the oem wrench for an 02 700 Sportsman. 3/8 drive fits well. you can always order one from Polaris. Couldn't find the part on the Yamaha website, the new parts and exploded views are great on their site now though. If you have a loose filter, I would take it to a local dealer regardless of brand and match up the size to the wrench and call it done. I'd bet many brands will work.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I bought one of the plastic jobs from wal-mart and it has worked fine so far. I only snug the filter back on (not gorilla munch) and it always comes off easy during an oil change.

·
Registered
85 Posts
yeah i thought i had one but i didnt lol , found that out after the oil was drained out of er , good ol vise grips did the trick.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts