Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone every tried putting that Lucas Heavy Duty oil stabilizer, or someting else in there grizz to keep it from consuming oil?

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
I just changed to my oil from Amsoil to Lucas full synthetic. I still had to add after the second ride. This would worry me normally but mines not the only new Griz with disappearing oil.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I don't understand why some use oil and others don't. I read about new machines using oil, it is not uncommon, yet there are others that use no oil.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine is a 02 and my friend has an 03 and they both do it.

·
Registered
382 Posts
can anyone give an estimate at the time in between having to add oil? i just have barely 16 hours on my '06 and have not had to add any but, that may be too early yet.

Also, do you guys start yours up and let it run for a bit before changing the oil? Im guessing it flows better doing it this way, I've never heard of starting up a motor before an oil change. people pull up to jiffy lube all the time for an oil change but doing my own oil changes I prefer the engine to be cold.

G

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
nizzzz,,, I always warm a motor up before changeing the oil,,, doesnt matter what it is in,,, I feel like it will drain better,,, not sure if that is right, but just the way I have always done it,,,,,,,,, and it makes it a lot easier to burn the **** out of your hand or fingers before you get done also,,,, ,,,,,, cg

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have got an 06 Grizzly, and it doesn't burn any oil. Not sure if it just hasn't started yet, or I'm one of the lucky ones. I guess only time will tell.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
My 05 hasn't burned a drop so far, touch wood. I have read this on other forums and the same thing is true, some do and some don't? I broke mine in by the book and I know some guys believe in breaking them in by how they are going to ride them ie: Hard. I don't know if this is why some guys burn oil or not but I am thinking it can't help the situation either? I have almost a 1000km's on mine so far and I am using Amsoil 0w-40 ATV oil. I switched over I think around the 20 hr mark or when ever the warranty was up?
I always warm mine up before an oil change as well, it is important because it will re-suspend any crud that has settled out on the bottom. I believe it states the same thing in the manual?.........Irv

·
Registered
144 Posts
My 06 hasn't used oil. I think it has to do with the oil that is used. I run Yamaha oil in my bikes and the Grizz. 10-40 in summer and 10-30 in winter. I broke it in by running it easy, warming it up good and letting it sit for 30 minutes. I did that twice. Then ran the dog pi55 out of it ever since.
Since it has a wet clutch Yamaha does not recomend full syn oil.
If you go to full syn oil BEFORE the rings get set the motor my not break in and use oil forever. I have seen that happen to a V-8.
It is possible, I think, to do the first oil change TOO Soon.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I must say I have never used any oil between services either. I also use Yamaha oil in my Grizz

·
Registered
270 Posts
Mine is used and I know was abused... my friend used to ride it hard. It doesnt use oil either. I really do think the synthetic oil may have something to do with it. I use Kawasaki ATV oil or Yamilube. I read everywhere not to use the friction modifier oils and some say the same for synthetic. It just doesnt seem worth the extra money and possible risk for the supposed advantage synthetic gives you.

As for warming up, I do that too. With any engine, it will drain faster, better, and more crud.

Jim

·
Registered
339 Posts
My 03 Grizz does not use any oil and I have been using synthetic for two years now. Not only am I using the synthetic in the engine but also both the front and rear differential are filled with it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I didn't mean that syn oil will cause it to use oil. I do think that it is bad for the clutch and can cause oil consumption if used Before the engine is broke in.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yamaha recomends not to use a full synthetic. I am new on here, been doing more reading than anything. Seems like we have a good group of people on here.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Welcome to the site Nutt, where does Yamaha state not to run full synthetic? I know you are not to use any oil with friction modifiers or the starburst symbol because of the wet clutch system but I have never read about the full synthetic?.......Irv

·
Registered
50 Posts
My 04 never used any oil, nor does my 06.I did have my valves adjusted as recommended on both and change my oil every 2-300 miles.

Yet both buds I ride with have to add oil every time we ride. I do know they did not adjust there valves till after more than 2500 miles.

Food for thought,

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a brand new '06 . I hope it doesn't start using an oil. When starting mine I always let it warm up before moving it. The oil can only be leaking from so many places...excessive play in the valve guides and/or seals (if it has them) It could even be a worn oil control ring. Have the people with the oil burning issues have the lash on the valves checked and adjusted at the specified intervals? Synthetic oils flow more easily when cold and lubricate more uniformly. I think a synthetic may increase the oil consumption. I'm just going to stick with the Yamalube.

·
Registered
34 Posts
My 05 was broken in from new by me, by the book. It still uses oil. Warming it up before changing oil?? I never heard of that. All I know is if you check the oil right when you shut it off it will read low. That says to me there is alot of oil up in the motor when hot. Depends on which way you look at it. I don't know which way is better????

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yup,on a brand new machine when the ambient air temp is 25-30 degrees you bet I let it warm up.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts