Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed my final gear oil and differential oil.

Metal filings came out of final gear oil.

It's hard to put gear oil in the Grizzly 660!

I've had my Grizzly 660 for 6 months.

Is there anything else I should do maintenance on?

Should I change coolant?

I change engine oil and oil filter twice.

I changed air filter to K&N.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Buy yourself one of the small funnels with a long tube on it from Walmart. If you get the correct size the tube will just fit inside the fill hole.

Sounds like you have the fluids changed well. Your only other thing to do is check the valves for adjustment.

·
Registered
462 Posts
there are also 4 grease fittings,,,,2 behind each rear wheel

i suugest a trip to the local auto parts store to get some decent grease zerks to replace the ones that are on it,,,,i snaped the first one off i greased just by removing the grease gu nozzle

also this enables you to get 45 and 90 fittings to make easier access for doing this without removing the wheels,,,,the auto zerks are much heavier than the stock Yammy zerks

also be extremely careful reinstalling the drain plugs in the diiferentials,,,its steel v aluminum,,,and there are only 2 1/2 or 3 real fine threads,and take nothing to strip,,,,i found this out the hard way,,,i went just past snug,thats all it took,spun

if you want a good chuckle,,,,the Yammy tech told me to just snug it,and the plug will tighten itself the rest of the way,,,lol,,,,these are new space age,self tightning smart plugs i guess,lol

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Did you buy the Pro Design flange with the filter or just use the stock set-up. If it's just the stock set-up you may want to try the finger test inside the air boot to see how much dirt is getting through.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I use a small tygon hose on a large syringe and inject the gear oil in, I can measure the perfect amount as well. Grease the zerks like stated, I also sprayed some areas with some rust check, and put dielectric grease on every electrical connection I could get too. Check bearings for wear etc. There is some good mtce schedules in your manual that should help you out as well...Irv

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Self tightening bolts, that's great. Do you have to pay extra for them?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I probably won't check the valve clearence because if it ain't broke don't fix it!

I only have a K&N air filter in it.

There is no dirt getting by the air filter.

Thank You for all of your suggestions!

·
Registered
50 Posts
It's highly recommemded to get your valves adjusted if your never had them done.

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Have to agree with everyone else, I would suggest for what time it takes its well worth the piece of mind that you checked the valves wether you have to adjust them or not. Now in my case so far only have checked them once so far and no adjustment was needed.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Definately get your valves checked. I can't remember if it's the intake or exhaust valves that are almost alway too tight.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Intake...Exhaust are pretty good after the first adjustment and probably won't need it again for awhile but on the Intake side they seem to tighten up.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I thought it was the intake but I didn't want to give bad information.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts