Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is a good brand of gps,and good price.also are thay fairly easy to use.thanks bob

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
I prefer Garmin, though both Garmin and Magellan are good units. Check out the new Garmin 60Cx and 76CSx models... both are color, support mapping, and have card slots to add more memory for more map storage.

www.gpscity.com is one of several places with good prices on Garmin units too.

Rob

·
Premium Member
159 Posts
personally i use the garmin etrex vista, easy to use and good for the trail or highway

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
garmin 60cs here,,, my second garman and I love it,,, if I can use it, it must not be too hard,,, however it does not have a card slot,, the cx must be an updated one,,,,,, but i will load a lot of maps,,,,, ,,,, ,,,,, cg

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
I'm on my third Garmin...

First was the eTrex Summit... which was very basic and had no mapping capability. Then the eTrex Vista came out, so I got one and sold the Summit.

Then I got my Grizzly, and the Vista was too small to see while riding, so I got the 76S and eventually sold the Vista. Now I'll probably get a new 76CSx by Summertime.

Rob

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
I've got a Magellan Sporttrac and it works i guess. Don't have a clue how to use it to full potential, but it draws me a line to show me where I left my truck. (**** truck is always hiding on me). It got tore off it's mount in a multi roll accident and still works. Waterproof and it floats. I'd still be in the bush today, out of gas and looking for the truck of mine without it. My mother bought it for me and i'm told she knows best!

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
I have a Garmin V and I use it on the Grizz and for driving directions, love it.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I also use the Magellan SportTrak Map, I bought it off a guy on another forum and I haven't quite got the hang of it yet? I played a little bit with it but the video tape that came with it is different than the unit I bought? I think I can figure it out? I just have to take some time to get it all figured out. Any tips would be greatly appreciated........Irv

·
Registered
16 Posts
I use the garmin e-trex legend. Very good gps, has full mapping capabilities and is very easy to use. price wasn't bad either. $185.00 cdn.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I use the Garmin 60C (the 60CS has an altimeter and Barometer and lasts 14 hours on batteries). The 60 C lasts 30 hours on batteries, hard to beat this!

The new cx version takes an SD card wich is a nice improvement, however 58MB is a lot of storage place anyway.

Fully waterproof, drop proof, mud proof and with a RAM handlebarmount it should oulast your Grizzly!

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rob I looked at the 76csx on the gps web site.do you or anyone out there think buying the instruction dvd first would be a good idea to see if i need and or can learn the system.

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
If I remember right(and as old as I am sometimes I dont) I think I went to garmins website and was able to read the manual before I got mine,,, I had a garmin emap before the 60cs but reading the manual kinda speeded things up when it got here,,,,,,my emap came with a video and it wasnt really helpful but the emap didnt do near as much as the new one either,,,,,, they are really not hard to use,,, bascily just hit the menu and choose what you want to do,, if you mess up, start over,,,,, just be sure and stock up on batteries,, they last a long time when you use it in the field but go pretty fast when your punching buttons for several hours at a time,,,,,,again, good luck,,,,, ,,,,, ,,,,,, cg

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cg i would hope that if i spend $500.00 plus that thing better plug into my power recepticle(cigarette lighter)BOB M

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
The power cord is $20 extra but worth every penny. I also keep a set of rechargeable batteries in mine because they last longer and are cheaper in the long run.

Don't bother with the DVD unless you really want to. I can give you a quick tutorial on how to use it if you like.

Rob

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thank you guys for all the imput i will get back to you all for instuctions.im a wrench turning type not a techno geek,not ragging on t geeks. bob m

·
Registered
73 Posts
I use a Lowrance H20-Color along with lake maps available on MMC chips loaded so that I can view water depths/contour lines for icefishing spots. I need to get a mount for the new ride yet, but the GPS is a great unit. Comes with a 12V cord and runs on 2-AA batteries. It's waterproof too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Cowchip,I like the idea of using the gps on the water with the chartsbut do you know if they have lake maps for Ontario,Canada.Can you getmaps off the internet.At a store in Toronto (Radioworld.com)some of the Canadian maps cost as much as the gps unit itself.OUCH!!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Not sure about maps north of the border. Lakemaster and Navionics are the two manufactures that are making lake chips for the Lowrance. You might want to check them out for more information. They run about $100 per chip.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Wife suprised me with a new Megallan Explorist 500. Should be coming in tomorrow. Once I figure it out, I will let ya'll know how it is. I will be getting the bike mount to mount it to the Griz.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts