Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone run 27" 589's? Did they take very much power away from the machine? I am debating between the 589's and the Mudlite XTR's for use as an all around tire. My concern is the Mudlite XTR's won't provide enough traction when things get slimey. Thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I love my xtr's the tread pattern and depth is about the same as the 589's but you get the radial advantage. I also think that they are a little lighter. they have great traction in mud and snow as well. So far no negatives. Will see how they do on rocks in Moab in 2 weeks.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Zags...My nephew and I got Grizzlies at the same time and he put 27" 589's on c-series wheels and I put 26" XLT lites on stock wheels. There was a huge difference in power, ride, and steering. There was a little difference in trail ability with the edge going to the XLT lites. There was a little difference in nasty mud with the edge going to the 589's.

Now with the radials and tread pattern change of the XTR's I would think that the 589's will not come close the XTR's in any situation.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
I run 27" 589's and love them but like Dknarnd said they probably are close to the same traction as the XTR's. I'm sure I read somewhere that the 589's were slightly heavier but for a good reason. Pretty sure that if I were to get a flat I probably wouldn't notice. The sidewalls are heavy duty and would keep its shape without air. Haven't had any flats in 3000kms and have never added any air for that matter. As for power loss Don't ask me, I've had them on since new.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I just purchased some used 27" ITP 589's and love them, they did take a little power away but not much IMO. They are a rock solid tire and addicted is right, you can get a flat and not even know it? You can ride back out of the bush with out having to worry about fixing a flat trail side. The sidewall will not collapse. A lot of people like Mudlites but I always hear they wear too fast? I was staying away from them for that reason alone. I am not sure how the new XTR's wear though? I love my new tires a lot, they go through anything that I have thrown at them so far and the added bonus is that I can expect to get 5000 miles plus out of them, they wear like iron.........Irv

·
Registered
47 Posts
I also put xtrs on my grizzly, Not notice alot of power lose, but also just put them on last week. I've made 2 rides so for, no problems what so ever. They dig perfect in mud, and handles well on the trails. Don't think you will go wrong with the xtrs. Mine are 27's....

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
addicted2 did you add wheel spacers??

·
Registered
40 Posts
i ordered 27" xtr's on 14" type 7 rims i will post pics and let you no what i think. my cousin just got a set and loves them.i was thinking about getting the 589's but the guy where i ordered them from told me that they were real heavy. and that they rode like a normal aggressive mud tire not to smooth. i was looking at the weight somewhere and i think the mudzilla weight was about the same as the 589. and the mudzilla tire kicks ass in the mud but is heavy as **** to heavy for me.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Mudzilla's are excellent in the mud but they will let you down on steep hardpack trails with rocks.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
The 589's are a bit heavy but not as heavy as people think. Same with the ride, I think, me included, read too much into these posts where people said this was heavy or rode rough? I love my 589's so far, I did notice a slight and I mean slight difference in bottom end power and the ride is smooth as **** over a couple of km's an hour. Just keep this in mind when ever you are buying tires, there maybe slight weight gains and slight ride differences but most of the time it is minimal(sp) Mine are 27"s by the way but the pro's out weigh the cons by far. If you get a chance to try someones ride out before purchasing new skins, by all means take advantage of it!......Irv

1 - 11 of 11 Posts