Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this weekend was the inaugural run for my Grizzly in Alaska. It proved to be a rough one. I helped a friend tow his skiff across the island with quite a bit of snow on the ground. We ended up hooking our bikes together and pulling the boat that way. About a 1/2 mile from where the boat landing is my Grizz's overheating light came on, so we stopped and let the bike cool down. We ended up getting the boat back to water with no further problems. But after that towing I lost 10mph on my top speed. My low and mid range power seem normal, but I just seem to have lost some of my top speed. I don't exactly now what would have caused this? Is it some major wear on my belt or what? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Oh yeah, I burn oil NOW too.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
It might have been to heavy of a load even for two quads? Sounds like you stressed the motor pretty good? You may have done some internal damage to the rings hence the burning oil now? It is also quite possible that you did fry the belt? Did you smell/see any smoke? I don't know for sure on any of this but they could be possibilities? Good luck and hopefully someone else on here can offer some insite?.....Irv

·
Registered
256 Posts
Did you use the low range to tow?
Using the high gear to pull heavy stuff might have damaged your belt...did you feel it slip?

About your oil well...it was a matter of time before your grizz start to burn it. Seems they're all like that

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
If you worked it that hard you might want to change the oil and get some fresh stuff in it. Depending on how hot it got you could have burnt the oil some also.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know I burnt the oil, because I smelt it and it smelt burnt. Hopefully after an oil change I wont be seeing oil consumption anymore but I guess only time will tell. I did put the Grizz in high gear for a minute or two while on some of the flatter sections, and quickly realized it was just to much load. If I did smoke the belt that may have been when it happend. This insident has deffinutly convinced me I need a heavier duty clutch for those 27's along with a new belt.

If I did damage the rings, I might replace the piston with a higher compression piston, is there such a thing, and does anybody have suggestions?

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I think all Grizzlies lose about 5 - 8 mph after the first 100 miles or so I think you just sped up the process. How much time did you have on the Griz before the tow job. That wasn't your break-in procedure was it?
With 27" tires you definately want to invest in a clutch kit.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had about 35 hours on it when I did this, and somewhere over 300 miles on the bike. It was past recommended break in, but was still probably a little early to be stressing the motor that bad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts