Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
iam having trouble with the high temp no matter how good i clean my radiator.
ive seen the new radiator and blower kit that hi-lifter offers but not sure if this will help. has anyone tried this? ive also used blue ice radiator fluid. this helps a little but doesnt illinate the problem. please help thanks tim

·
Registered
462 Posts
what year Grizz do you have?

if its an older one that doesnt have the vents in the side panals,try adding some,or buying some that do (later model,if they work,,,back to what year you have?????),,,,or try removing the side panals,if it doesnt overheat with them removed,then you will know adding vents will work,,,,ive seen some people do some nice designs putting their own vents in,,,they looked pretty cool

is your fan coming on? is it coming on enough? if it isnt coming on check that the wire on the plug that is located behind the cylinder jug on top of the motor

also,,,are you possitive the back side of the radiator isnt caked with mud,,,,the part of the radiator that is hard to see,or get to

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I had a similar problem a few months ago. I had to replace the fan motor, it became erratic and did not switch on all the time. I got the new fan fitted and it is fine now!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hey timw, welcome to the forum.

I did read another post very similar to your problem a while back.

As Hoo said in reference to the mud, this other person did find mud caked up behind the radiator. After he cleaned it out, no more problem.

Good luck and let us know what the problem was after you find it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have the H/L radiator installed in by 04. This was the only thing that solved my overheating problem. The fin spacing is bigger, allowing more air to pass through and mud washes out easier. Also, the fan is bigger. Yamaha would do nothing to help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the fan is coming on good and i also cleaned the back of the radiator real good still no good. i drive different then a lot of people i look for mud. thanks for your help. tim

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
You could just have a bad sensor or sending unit, whatever it's called. I think there are 2 of them. I don't think they are very expensive, you could try changing them.
I'm sure some of the other guys know more about this than I do.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The sensor in the rad is the one that controls the fan, and the one in the head is for the warning light

·
Registered
462 Posts
Sparky your Grizz must be differant than mine,,,,mine has only one sensor,and neither one is in the radiator,or head

mine has one right behind the jug on top of the motor,and it DOES operate the fan

when i was taking the carb on and off rejetting,i removed the wire so i didnt end up ripping it off messing around getting the carb in,and out

i forgot to reattach the wire one time,and while doing a test run,i noticed the fan wasnt coming on,reached in with a pair of real long needle nose pliers reconnected the wire to the sensor,and the fan came right on

it doesnt make sense to me why they would put a heat sensor in the radiator when they go off of engine temp to cool the motor as needed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts