Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have own my grizzly for about 4 months and was wondering what is the best exhaust for it and should i use a k&n air filter

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Well tpaul welcome to the site, as far as a pipe I dont have one myself so really could not help you on that one.

For the K&N filter there is alot of mixed feelings on here wether or not they are good or not. As far as I go I have the K&N but I also run with the Pro Flow Flange. From what I hear just the K&N replacement filter for you stock one is junk, the gasket keeps ripping and in some cases gets sucked into the intake.

Mike

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Hi Tpaul,

I suggest the Durablue Dual Foam filter, The flange is great, it is easy to clean, and it does improve the air flow. I also use an outerware outerfilter!

I did not chang my exhaust, I just opened it and removed all the baffles then welded it back together, I then fitted a 2" power tip (like the ones on ebay).
I did leave in the spark arrestor).

Sounds mean!! has a very responsive throttle, great accelleration.

·
Registered
462 Posts
welcome tpaul

i put a Dubach muffler (Dr. D) on my bike,and i love it,,,it gives it a deep throaty sound,,,not rappy,or irritating,,,,it is however louder than stock,and there is a gain in HP,,,,its very well made,and was easy to install

a little advice,which ever pipe you end up with,,,,go to the auto parts store,and get a 1 1/4 exaust clamp,,,and go to Lowes (or like) and get 3 large hose clamps,about the same size as you use on the back of your Cloths drier,,,you will need the hose clamps new when installing the new pipe with the stock heat shields,,,and the exaust clamp,because the stock one wont work with the new muffler

this will save you a trip to round these things up once you start the work

one bracket is spot welded to the stock muffler,,,you will need to use a cold chisle to remove it,and grind the spot weld off to reuse it,or order new from Yamaha (i reused)

also i too use the K&N air filter,pro flange,and outerwears,,,,,to me,there is no way dirt can get through,as long as you maintain it clean,but cleaning goes for all filters,,,,its the flange setup that is impressive

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys for the replys, but went riding today and blew a head gasket ,just had it service 2 weeks ago , i just installed my itp wheels and was wondering do i need to have wheel spacers on these

·
Registered
462 Posts
not with 25's

i put wheel spacers on because i'm putting a 2" lift kit on,just as soon as i can get a day off to get my bike to the shop so they can put my Gorrila axles on,and install the clutch kit

the manufacturer of the axles said that unless a certified yamaha tech installs them the warranty would be void,so i figured while they have it ,i'd let them install the clutch kit too

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Beast,

Did you find your bike to be much louder with your mods. Mainly when just putting around, say 15 to 25 klms per hour.

Cheers Noel

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
hi Noel,

Compared to a Raptor 660, Bombardier DS650, LTZ400 or YFZ450 with aftermarket pipes on, the Grizzly Standard sound like a frail old granny!!!!

Now the Beast sounds like she should, Like a MASSIVE 660cc BRUTE of a motor.

She roars like a LION!!

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Beast,

I use my Grizzly mainly for hunting. Do you think this modification would make it too loud in your opinion?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers Noel

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Yes Noel, it will be too loud, I would suggest you take the end off the exhaust and take a very long 12mm drill bit (about 30cm long). Now remove the spark arrestor and what you have inside is a baffle wall. Drill 4 holes evenly spaced around, through both front and rear baffles (this is why you need the long bit). Put it together and try it out.

The maximum holes is 12. the more holes the more noise.

Also for normal riding pu on the 2" power tip, for hunting put on the origional one (it is quieter)

I hope this helps!!

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Thanks Beast,

I will see how I go, unsure what I will do at this stage.

Cheers Noel

1 - 11 of 11 Posts