Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering but i think i know the answer? Just how strong/weak is the factory belly protector on the newer Grizz's? Has any body broken one yet and how hard/easy was it broken? I am thinking about upgrading before i even give this a chance?.......Thanks.....Irv

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
Sorry Irv I would not no it came off before the first ride and a alum. one was put in place. I love to do rock crawling and figured I need all the protection I needed plus a little piece of mind for me having alum instead of plastic.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Irv,
I just installed full set of Highlifter skidplates on the griz. The plastic belly protector seemed to get smashed but neverbroke from going over them cypress knees and stumps here in the swamp. Have heard of some guys here in our club that put a cypress knee thru the plastic. Didn't mess nothing up but had one **** of a time trying to pick up that grizzly up over it. We ride down here in south Louisiana at a place called the Bonney Carre' spillway. Lots of swamp with alligators, beavers and I hate them darn snakes. You never see them snakes until you are knee deep stuck in mud and they are licking there veins thinking "lunch". But the big stick I carry or machetty keeps them away, sometimes in more than one piece.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Hi Irv,

I have the original plastic still on the beast, as you can see in my "jump" pictures. I have broken the from A Arm protectors twice, and the rear A Arm protector once. I am keen to put on the aluminium Yamaha full set, but I did the maths and I would have to break the plastics another 115 times in order to break even on the cost!!

Also the plastic takes the shock/knock and breaks, the Stainless/Alluminium "could" bend and cause more damage by pressure above the bent plate.

Anyway, this is just the OTHER VIEW POINT to consider!!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply Beast, you have a good point! How are your CV boot covers working out? I put a thread under modifications(CV boot covers,page 2) about them. I was wondering how tight do you have to make the tie-wrap in the first convolute? Check it out please. Have a good one.......Irv

·
Registered
341 Posts
Irv,

I just lost one of my front A-arm protectors this past Saturday's ride. I thought of replacing everything with aftermarket skids. I called the Yamaha dealer and the stock protector is only $6.23 so for that price I will order one instead of spending $300.00 on a full belly skid system. I have never had any problems with the stock protectors until this last ride, I do believe I only lost it due to the amount of snow that was packed in there from breaking a fresh trail. For the measly $6.23 I will keep replacing them for now if need be.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Took all my plastic off, sold it on ebay, and put on a full aluminum skid plate and a-arm protectors. As said above the a-arm protectors will come off quite frequently but I have never heard of the plastic bottom skid comming off. Although it does get badly tweeked and allow more large sticks and such to get up into the engine area. People say that the synthetic skids will glide over obsticales easier and the aftermarket ones are pretty durable. Myself I like aluminum. Since the advent of the dirt bike/atv they have been making aftermarket chain guards and skid plates from aluminum and it works. From the factory you have been getting steel and recently synthetics and I guess they work also.

Last fall I took a hard shot from a rock to the lower front a-arm on my Grizz with little damage to it. The aluminum took most of the shock and only bent the a-arm a little. I speculate with the stock plastic the a-arm would have taken much more shock and bent more. I feel the stock skid has to much flex to protect from a hard shot by a rock or stump.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I removed my orginals and replaced it with a Armidillo skid plate. It is very strong even it the coldest temperatures and very inexpensive. I swear by it. If you want to look at one the web address is www.atvtires.com

Sailorman3

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Sailorman, i have seen these before on here and these most definatly will be the ones i buy, they look/sound bullet proof and a great price to boot!!($169 bucks delivered!!) Do you have a winch? Did you have to cut any out for your winch? Are all the necessary holes there for you oil, diffs etc? Thanks Irv

·
Registered
50 Posts
hello irv

i have an 2003 griz with stock skid protector. i have 27" mud bugs, and i have hit the underside about four times at the most. i would say, it depends on how you drive. go with what you think is best for yourself

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Hello Irv,

I think I am going to have to change to alluminium skids, my plastic belly protector is pretty messed up!!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Bobby...My impression of your statement of only hitting the underside about four times on a 2003 model is that four wheel drive must not be required on your rides much. You must ride nicely maintained trails.

On my 2003 there are probably few rides where I do not hit the underside, and I even have a small lift on for added clearance. One of these days I will take a photo of the front of my skid plate and you will see major dents in the aluminum. And there are major scratches along the bottom.

·
Registered
50 Posts
DKNARND, where i live, we ride for fun or hunt, and no matter which it is, we are riding on tundra that has rocks, bogs and what we call niakuktaq's, with a topping of mud.

i am going to be takling pictures of the tundra and uploading them into my profile, so you'll be able to see what i'm talking about.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A little off topic Bobby, but i see you are running the Mudbugs. I am considering those tires for my Grizz as well and was wondering how you like them? What other tires have you used in the past? I am leaning strongly towards them as i have read tons of posts with people being pretty happy with them. What is the ride like on hard packed trails? I guess they didn't do well in that mud hole? LOL. But i don't think anything would have judging by that picture? Any info good and bad would be appreciated. Thanks in advance....Irv

·
Registered
50 Posts
hey irv

about the mudbugs, i love them, the next set of tire i get will most likely be another set of mudbugs. as to the other tires, i have used the rubicon, and i perfer the mudbugs.

and about the picture, that happened when i was pulling a buddy out, the weight of the atv pulled my front end down

·
Premium Member
841 Posts
Nice pics Bobby,

Keep them coming Mate.

Cheers Noel

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Bobby, i kinda figured you would say that? Everybody says the same thing about them, awesome tire etc. I just got to convince my wife that i need them! Any ideas? LOL........Irv

·
Registered
50 Posts
interceptor, thanx for the remarks on the pictures.

and irv. i'll say go with the tires. i like them. and tell you wife your getting them, that's what i did.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Bobby...one of these days I will get some photos up of my riding area, it is quite different that what you have posted. We have stone rows, logs, stumps, big stones, little stones, more logs, more stumps and more stones. Ok did I mention the stones :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts