Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always heard that you should never pressure wash your wheeler because water can get forced into places that regular hose washing does not. I usually just wash my wheelers with a garden hose and brush. I then let it run up to tempature to dry out any water that might get into bad places and rust. I have seen several posts that refer to pressure washing.

Every once in a while I am tempted to use the carwash when the wheelers are really muddy, or it is really cold, or I am away from home. What do most of you do?

Do you use the pressure washer? Have you had any problems? OR, am I just paranoid AGAIN?

·
Registered
701 Posts
I pressure wash it and have done so all this year. No problems here. I even pull the side panels to wash the engine. Just dont power wash the radiator you bend over the radiator fins and it won't cool properly.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Also I only use a little Crafstmas 2000psi gas power washer. You don't need the reall high powered stuff. Those are the ones that would do damage.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have been pressure washing mine since new never seemed to have any washing related problems. All my problems have been self inflicted rough riding and generally pushing the machine past its design limits. It is a testement to construction of the Grizzly that mine is still going. It goes where others fear to tread or just just plain would not make it. Of course it breaks but is generally easy to fix (apart for the cost!). Go ahead prssure wash and save your self a load of time which would be better spent riding. All the best Dave.

·
Registered
462 Posts
im like our freind from spain,ive always been using a PW with no problams,mine too have been all self induced,,,,one problem with mine though,after PW'ing it i have to let it sit for a 1/2 an hour to get it to restart

just becarful not to get the nozzle too close to the radiater

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have read about this problem about having to wait before starting I have never had this problem. I completely submerged the Grizzly it was floating upside down, within a hour or so of winching it out getting water out of exhaust and cylinder I fired it up just to see if it would go, it spluttered back to life almost straight away, obviosly did not run smoothe as gas tank and carb had some water in too. I do spray all electrics under seat with WD40 each month and also use dialectric grease on ALL electrical clips connections etc. May be this makes the difference. GrizzlySpain

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The WD40 comment is very interesting. When you spray the WD40 on do you leave it on thick or wipe a lot of it off. Do you get the WD40 right into the connections. Is it a lite dusting or do you really get after it. Please tell more. I believe an ounce of prevention beats a pound of cure.

I have used WD40 in locks and found that it gums them up. (I started using grapite instead). I found that WD40 + dust = stickydirt in locks.

·
Registered
462 Posts
WD-40 displaces water,,,thats what its initial intention was when they created it

the "W and D" in WD-40 stand for Water,and Displacement

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
I pressure wash ours and have done so with all of are atvs, like stated above all you have to do is watch how close you get to things (ie electrical. radiator,cv boots) other than that I have never had any damage other than on my Banshee I peeled a few stickers off with it. Mine is at 1200 psi, I am looking at getting a little bigger one in the spring but not to much 2000 or so.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Just garden hose and elbow grease hear but I do use tire foam all over except the seat and handgrips.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
I preasure wash everything, it uses less water and gets the job done much faster. You have to use a little common sense like don't put the nozle right down on the machine. You need to fan the spray out a little and never use a straight stream of water. The car wash is definately ok, the preasure isn't too high and the stream is already fanned out so you can't damage your vehicle unless you put the tip right next to the vehicle. If you're not carefull it will take your decals off right now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts