Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

Problem with electric start

9K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  bluevette87 
#1 ·
Today I went to move my Grizz and when I hit the start button I hear a pop from under the seat and the display goes off for about 5 seconds then comes back on again. I though maybe the battery was weak so I put my charger on it. After about 30 minutes it the charger was off charge and on float. I am still having the same problem. I checked all the fuses and connections. Any advise would be appreciated.

#3 ·
T-unit, do you have a winch installed? if so disconnect the main winch wire to the positive of the batery and try agin.

I had the same problem, in my case my winch had water in it, to solve it happening again I fitted a cutout switch on the winch main positive (in the storage box)

Attachments

#5 ·
Hi,

If your starter "ticks" and the dash digital display and lights fade out whilst you are pressing the start button, then you have a positive wire on your Grizz that is grounding! Use a multi tester to find it!

#6 ·
There must be a relay or selonoid for the starter and thats all under the seat also. If you wrecked one of those the starter won't even click. Also just a little tip on pull starting, there's a trick to it. First pull the rope out until it gets hard and then put it back in and then pull hard. The first step opens the de-compresion switch I think, anyways it works with MUCH less effort this way.

#8 ·
PS spraying some WD40 into the "cut out switch" on the handlebars also does wonders!

#11 ·
Sounds like a loose connection somewhere, that a spark is jumping across! You might be hearing the spark jump!!

#13 ·
battery conectons are loose,tighten those up.mine did that a couple days ago and that's what it was.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.