Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just priced the hard anodized under-carriage kit from Yamaha, including front and rear bash plates and front and rear axle protectors, of course with the Grizzly cut into the plates. Any way, the whole kit is about $400 and a Warn front bumper adds another $130 so what I am asking is "is there a better kit or one of the same quality out there for less money"? I am sure some of you have did the research and can save me some time and possibly some money too. THANKS

·
Registered
119 Posts
Check on Ebay.

There is usually someone on there selling the whole kit.

But, I don't think the Grizzly emblem is on their's.

·
Registered
339 Posts
The Richotet skid plates are on my Grizz and on my brothers Eiger. These were put on within a month of purchasing them and well worth the money. Can't remember for sure how much but it was in the 300 range.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
I bought to e-bay ones. They are half the thickness of the Yamaha ones, I don't think they'll last too long.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I have heard the Yamaha ones are expensive but the quality is top shelf! Check out the E-Bay ones, there is a guy on there who makes them and he can design any type of logo you want into them. Make sure you get the smooth bottoms and not the checkered plated ones, they dig into rocks and stumps instead of sliding over them. Good luck.....Irv

·
Registered
34 Posts
try aluminumproducts.com I got their a-arm guards and they been taking a pounding. My only complaint is the way they mount. (U-bolts) Its sturdy but kinda cobby looking. I cant remember what their kits cost but they cover everything and the front bash plate comes up farther than any other ones ive seen. check em out

·
Registered
62 Posts
try www.prm-atv.com That is where I got mine from, and they sell a kit that covers everything from the front to the rear, and al of the a-arms

·
Registered
42 Posts
We got the Yamaha bash guards and A-arm guards. I can assure you they will hold up as we have used them on many occassions. Best part was they installed easily, did not have to modify anything.

·
Registered
234 Posts
i looked into the yamaha skids and they do bolt into the factory locations for sure and they arent that bad of a cost. prolly almost comparable to anything aftermarket, the ebay ones are all right for sure but the cost really adds with shipping and exchange, although not so much todays great rates, but then you still have some monkey business to mount from what ive heard. for me all yamaha makes sense, easy to install, easy to get, and better quality imo.

brian

·
Registered
40 Posts
i got the front and rear a arm guards from aluminum products. which i like besides if you got in alot of mud you have to just about take them off to clean your grizz thay hold alot of junk. i have a full belly side plate made by moose. got it off of ebay. holds mud too that is the only problem with both but i look at it this way it protects everything from damage. it has saved me over and over again. try aluminum products good quality stuff. i had a full belly side plate for my rincon 650 it was nice and thick. they are super nice people too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Agreed, they all hold mud. A powerwasher with a flexible end does great, haven't had to take mine off to clean. I do take off the wheels about every other time in mud just to get a better cleaning done though.

·
Registered
22 Posts
So the plates from aluminumproducts.com do not use the same mounting holes as the originals? Is that for the whole kit or just the arm guards?

What about the ones from www.prm-atv.com?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Go for the Yamaha ones, they are strong, look good and fit easily!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Is the full kit worth getting? I see on the web that they have all but the belly piece and the under portion of the bash plate. Do you use the plastic in conjuction with the set?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
you get 4 A-Arm covers, one front/under combo,(same shape a plastic origional it replaces), you keep the origional plastic middle and rear covers, then you bolt the rear bash plate to the back (it does not go under at all)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I thought that was the case. I am not sure that I need the bash plate but the others, I do. Have you or any one else tried to drill bigger drain holes in the plastic pieces (under belly) to help drain dirt and mud better?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
I think the rear bash plate is a luxuary, the front one you will need!

·
Registered
92 Posts
I did alot of research before I purchased mine. I must say for several reasons, go with PRM.

1. The belly plate is all one peice front to rear, except the bash plate and will not catch a seam if you you belly slide on a log or rock.

2. All of the mounting hardware bolts from the bottom up in threaded inserts on formed aluminum top plates, and the bolt heads in recessed holes in the skids, again allowing them to slide over most anything without hanging up.

3. With the formed mounting plates, there is no vibration rattle period. These plates are built heavy duty! I would not hesitate if I was still into racing, to race GNCC's with these in the rockiest course known to man at speed!

4. They require no modification to bolt up, and come with everything you need.

PS. I do not work for or recieve any kick back from PRM, they are really just that far ahead of the other companies. The primarily build stuff for racing conditions, and it shows here.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The above pic was during the install....Before the rear guards were mounted.

Below, from Aarm guards before mounting.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Bash plate

1 - 20 of 28 Posts