Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Sunday I was asked to go help a "Two Wheeler" who had broken his leg out on the outride. This guy had broken a few rules as far as I was concerned!! He was riding alone. Had crossed the river during the rain (flash floods and no car access to other side). and he was not wearing MX boots!

Anyway he got his foot caught in a hole and snapped the bone halfway between his knee and ankle, and the bone was sticking out. He also broke his foot and had a few bones sticking out there too. WHAT A MESS!! (I am pretty sure an MX Boot would have prevented this)

Anyway I took the paramedics to him on the Griz, then when he was stabilised and on a board, we strapped him to the front rack of the Griz and brough him to the ambulance on the other side of the river.

Why the whole story??

Because the Griz is a utility not all of us treat it like a MX bike and not all of us wear full gear. My advice is BOOTS/HELMET/CHEST PROTECTOR will save you MAJOR!! medical expenses if things go wrong! Gloves/Goggles/MX Pants/Kneegaurds/MX Shirt/elbow gaurds will prevent very sore burns/cuts/scratches so why not have them too!!

Just my personal thoughts

PS ( when riding very slowly on a flat suface, sure, take a chance. But when riding to have some fun... GEAR UP)

WHAT GEAR DO YOU WEAR?

·
Registered
701 Posts
I wear glove, helmet, some sort of eye protection and work boots. I don't wear MX boots, I'm not comfortable wearing them on the grizz. I used to wear them when I rode a dirtbike.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I wear all MX gear including gloves, helmet, goggles, and Alpinstars boots. I broke my foot 2 years ago on my dirtbike cause I was wearing cheap Fox MX boots and the peg of the bike went through the boot when I crashed. I will always wear MX Alpinstars boots no matter what I ride. I even made my GF by girls MX boots and helmet when I bought her the Eiger. I don't believe in the half-face Utility helmets, when I just recently rolled my Grizzly, my MX helmet saved my face when I hit the tree and broke the mouth guard.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
I'm like Doolin, helment, goggles, gloves, steel toe rubber boots and a first aid kit on board. It amazes me the amount of people who won't wear a helment. We refuse to ride with anyone with no helment, we all wipe out eventually and I'm not going to be there when you bang your unprotected head on a rock or your handlebars. Just my opinion. Beast, thumbs up to you for full protectin.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
black954, I have Alpinestar Tech 8 boots and I swear by them!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yeah, I have the Vectors and they are great. The break-in period is very fast and they are very comfortable on the Grizzly.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I wear a full face moto-cross helmet which is Snell approved, goggles, gloves and steel toed and shanked hiking boots. I am in the market for some MX boots so I think I will look into those alpinestar boots. I use to have the full gear when I moto-crossed(Chest protector, boots, MX gloves, elbow pads, fully padded MX pants etc) I don't ride the grizz like I did my dirt bike(s) but if I still had all my MX gear I would definitly wear it......Irv

·
Registered
256 Posts
I wear a helmet..thinking of buying a full face
Gloves
Boots
Eyewear (sunglasses or goggles)
I don't wear protective gear, not really any use for it for the type of riding I do

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
Ok, I'll admit it, I'm the guy in the river. By the way, pictures would be awsome if you had the time to take any.
I believe as a minimum you should wear boots gloves and a helmet although i don't always wear the helmet except when riding with other people.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I strongly advise wearing a helmet and shoulder pads, esp in the bedroom but you might wanna remove the boots...

seriously gravity hurts and has the same effect regardless of speed.

·
Registered
81 Posts
right now i wear full face motocross helmet, gloves, my dad's old steel toed boots(which are really his riding boots) and some insulated coveralls. since i do still ride a dirtbike(82 kawi KDX 175 2 stroke) i want to get a pair MX boots. but right now i cant afford them. i wore a open face helmet when i still had my old dirtbike,83 yammy MX80, but after a year of riding that i sold it and bought a quad, so my dad got me a full face helmet and goggles. but i cant wear the goggles too much because i wear glasses. but if i can get some contacts or something i will. the only time that i dont wear a helmet is when im only going around our field a couple of times, or pulling a small ute trailer for cleaning goat pens. i've never ridden with anyone that doesnt wear a lid. but family friends of ours dont, but they hunt, ice fish, and just go for a ride, but they're not going fast.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
NFG, it is usually those short little rides that bite ya! I don't know how many times I have heard that one? I was only going for a short rip! I say wear it all the time and you will be better off. Imagine if you were in a wheel or worse, all you would be saying for the rest of your life is "why didn't I just take the few seconds it takes to put it on"? Why??? Think about it. My 2 cents..........Irv

·
Registered
81 Posts
like yesterday i was riding my suzuki up the mountain and cruising along and powersliding around the corners because there's snow here BC and the rear of the quad was between middle of trail(logging road) and right side of trail. but the front was on the left side of trail, so i was sideways and thougt i was gone down over a bank. because the front end was like 3-4 feet from the edge. def scared the crap outta me!!!

irv- what kind of warn winch do you have on your grizz? i am going to get a winch for mine too, but not sure what one from warn. im thinking the 2500lbs winch.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I have and most on here have the 2500, it was free when I bought my Grizz. When you do get your grizz make sure they have some sort of deal on like a free winch, free plow, Yammy bucks etc. They usually run these promotions quite often........Irv

·
Registered
81 Posts
thanx irv. im thinking of going to get it end of july first week of august, since i've joined this forum im really excited about getting a grizz. a friend of mine has a 87 honda 4trax 350 full time 4wd, and his 1500 lb winch went like 3 months ago or less and they went with the 2500lb and they love it. i think thats what im going to do. grab my grizz order some 26 inch mudbugs and get a 2500lb winch at the same time. i'd like to snorkle it too. im going to call my cousin in april or may and line up a job on the rigs, so maybe i'll call some dealers too at the same time. i dont need a huge winch but i want something that will pull me out if im by myself.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts