Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know, I am not the first, I have read all the previous posts about the pull start BUT.....

On Sunday, after behaving like a hooligan in the shallow river at our local riding place, the Grizz stalled. When I tried to "electric start it" I just had some mean buzzing from the Solenoid/CDI/Fuse box area.

So I tried the pull start.....

I think I have dislocated my shouder.. LOL!!!!

Anyway I pulled it out, let it back a bit, pulled again, all the tricks.

I never got it to start!!!

I just disconected the battery leads to the winch (winch vas very wet) and she started right away. 20 minutes later I reconnected the winch and everything was OK.

My challenge to you is TRY YOUR PULL START, just once!!!

Keep your medical insurance card and number handy!! LOL

·
Registered
462 Posts
i agree Beast,when i first got it i tried it while i was still trying to familiarize myself with the bike,and came to the usumption i either turned into a wous,or it was useless

so later that day i had several of my buddies try it,and after several moments of cussing,i determined it was useless,lol

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
when you pull it out and then let it in,,,, let it in real fast and yank on it,,,, it is still hard but it will work,,,,, i did it the other day just to see if it would still work,,,, would hate to do it all day long ,,,,when you let it in , dont pause before you pull it out,,,, have to do it all in one motion,,,,, hope this helps,,,,, ,,,, ,,,, cg

·
Registered
65 Posts
I agree Beast we tried it for fun when we got the bike. I think it says in the owners manual You need to be built like Arnold Scharzenegger.....

·
Registered
462 Posts
i like the idea of a kick start

·
Registered
50 Posts
i agree with all of the above. does anyone know if there is an easy pull mechanism available for the griz? would be nice to know.

thanx.bm

·
Registered
462 Posts
i dont think it's due to the pull start itself,i think its more of an issue of using a pull starter to turn over a piston that big,with that much compression

with doolin64's idea for a kick start,you would be using your weight in a downward motion to barr the motor over,way more leverage = easier

·
Registered
32 Posts
I guess the factory believes in remote control people i.e.-push that button !. The old days of my dirt bike racing we had compresson release levers on our big bores. Not even going to pull that thing. I'll push some buttons on that cell phone-HA. Later. Doug.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i got mine to start once by pull starting it. but it will never happen again. because it is not worth the agony. i am not sure i would want to kick start a grizzly either

·
Registered
55 Posts
Did anybody ask the Yamaha guys about it ? Maybe there is some trick we should know..

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Elie,

Its a simple trick, 1) Arms like Arnold Swartzeneger 2) Fitness and Endurance of a marathon runner, it's quite simple really!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Guys,
Its sooooo simple. I'm not sure where I read the trick, I thought it was here, but anyway, I've done it several times with no problems. And its not something freaky with my bike because another grizz had battery problems on a ride one night and everyone was jerking their arms off and I walked up to it and about 30 secs later, she was running and everyone thought I was a magician. The key is listening for the compression release (a suttle click) and then its like pull-starting a brand new Honda lawnmower.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have noticed that if the engine is still warm, pull until you come up against compression and it starts easily. If it is cold, much much tougher to do!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I thought I replied to this one already? Must be loosing it? It is rather easy once you get the knack. Stand on your running boards and grip the handle and pull up gently until it gets real stiff/hard to pull any further, let the rope/handle back down easy and with "2" hands give it a firm upward yank and it should go? I have done mine cold and hot and have had pretty good luck, I am only 5'8" and about 185lbs and no Arnie by any stretch and I can do it. Just practice and you will get the hang of it........Irv

·
Registered
10 Posts
Irv, It must have been you that I got it from. To add to Irv's instructions, on the first gentle pull until it stops (which is about 8 inches) ,you must listen for the click, if you don't hear it, then keep slowly releasing and gently pulling until it stops with a click. hold, then in one smooth quick motion, go all the way down and all the way up and listen to her growl!

·
Registered
3 Posts
This may be an old thread but I'm new. If your battery goes dead, you can bump start an Ultramatic Transmission. Put the machine in high range and have someone pull you, it should start under 10mph. Just thought I would pass this on.

·
Registered
462 Posts
we tried that on a freinds Polaris,,,it didnt work

·
Registered
140 Posts
I treid it when I first got it and it took me about three pulls. You have to get that piston just right. I wouldn't want to do it being tired from riding all day though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts