Yamaha Grizzly Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, sad to say, i lost. but i contribute my loss to the new 26" mud lite XTR's i just put on it. after putting them on there was not really a significant loss on bottom end but wow did i loose some of my top end. i guess i better get that jet kit thats sitting in my garage in the grizz and get a clutch kit, then challange him again. oh well, it will be faster next time.

·
Registered
701 Posts
this is odd. A larger tire should increase your top end, but decrease your low end. Exact opposite of what you said happened. Thats all in theory without factoring in the rolling resistance and weight that mud tires give.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
doolin, i dont know what to tell ya. that sure is the way it feels to me.

·
Registered
701 Posts
LOL, not doubting you at all. I'm surprised on the low end, just because my bike felt really underpowered with 26" tires and I switched back to 25" As for the top speed, I don't doubt you lost some either. Rolling resistance and the weight mud tires are what contribute to that.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I raced once with a stock KQ on 26"Mud Bugs and my Grizz is stock on 26" gators...I could never catch up w/ him. The KQ is quite fast compared to the Grizz

·
Registered
137 Posts
The KQ is a quick machine. I raced one with all my mods and it was close. I beat him but at best it was 1/2 a length. He was running 26" mudlites and I was running 27" 589's. If we both had the same tire the margin would have been larger but not alot.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I lost 5 mph when I put 26" mudlite xtr's on the grizz,but it added 42 more pounds of rotating weight over the stock tires.I put a dalton clutch kit in and didn't help top end but helped the bottom end.As for a jet kit I heard the grizzly's are allready on the fat side and it is a waist of money to buy one.

·
Registered
462 Posts
rhino,the jet kit isnt any good to you unless you have done some intake and/or exaust mods,,,,without these mods there isnt any need to rejet the carb,the factory setting for your area will be optimal

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i did do a UNI filter in it and i got rid of the spark arrestor so it can breath a little better, once i put the jet kit in it it should make a little bit of difference in it anyway, if not it should in gas milage anyway...
i am going to get the clutch kit next to try and get something back...

·
Registered
462 Posts
its not going to help with milage,if anything you are running a "little lean"

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
If you're judging your speed with your speedometer and bigger tires you are getting an inaccurate reading. I'm not sure if it should read higher or lower but it should not be the same as stock tires. It's best to check your speed using a GPS. The guy I have work on my machine would NOT install by K&N air filter without rejetting it. He said with the pipe and the filter it would run way to lean expecially with the cold temps.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The speedometer will read slower with a larger tire. If I remeber correctly

·
Registered
382 Posts
you're correct Sparky, my truck came with 30" tires..after they wore out I replaced them with 33"s and quite naturally the speedo reads 10% less...in a vehicle its easy to check your speed using mile markers and a second hand but, not so easy to do that with your Grizz.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think you will find that adding the 26in tires will make your grizz read around 5mph slower, however this is more accurate to your actual speed. yamaha is notorious for their speedometers reading faster then you are actually going. I checked mine with a gps with stock tires speedo read 65 gps 60/ I put the 26 inch mudlites on speedo read 60 and gps read 60.

·
Premium Member
2,962 Posts
With my tracks I was reading 55 mph but they are equal to 24" tires. I didn't get a chance to check with the GPS.

·
Premium Member
324 Posts
I'm running 27" ITP 589's and when checked to my GPS my Grizz is now acually dead on accurate. I'd have to say they exagerate speeds with stock tires!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hmmmm, looks like i am going to have to break out the GPS.......

1 - 17 of 17 Posts